Review - Noodler's #41 Brown

SamCapote

I think this is one of the latest Noodler's inks to come out. Nathan describes it as:

The color is an extremely dark and deep sepia brown - with a hint of golden sunset shading when used with italic nibs. It is NOT a Warden's ink - though it IS archival/bulletproof/eternal /pH neutral (it has not yet been tested for laser alteration - though a similar ink did pass that test).

It did extremely well in my Waterman Phileas, flowing easily and not seeing any nib creep. Very little (5-10%) washed off when held under water faucet for 1-2 minutes. It does have a slight olive hint as opposed to "golden sunset" on my examination. Politics aside, it is a very nice, bulletproof brown ink that I recommend. Images link to larger views.

">http://i61.photobucket.com/albums/h75/pike444/pens/Noodler-41s.jpg

http://i61.photobucket.com/albums/h75/pike444/pens/Noodler-41-2s.jpg

Edited by SamCapote

With the new FPN rules, now I REALLY don't know what to put in my signature.

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• SamCapote

• RitaCarbon

• Nikhil

• Ed Ronax

Holy (Potty Mouth): A Noodler's ink that doesn't creep and dries relatively fast?! I may be in love. :wub: Thanks for the review. It helps a lot!

Beautiful ink. Great review. I love the color and the fact that it's fast drying.

Very nice selection of inks for comparison. Waterman Havana looks very interesting. Has more purple in it on my monitor. Is it right?

Thank you very much for posting, Sam.

BTW, who is Scott?

I like that one! Thanks for the review.

Ryan.

ps: What does the #41 signify? Formulation number? Something to do with the state election mentioned on the Noodler's site? (I'm only mildly curious, so if it's the latter, I'm not looking for an explanation as enthusiastic as Mr. Noodler's!)

R.

ps: What does the #41 signify? Formulation number? Something to do with the state election mentioned on the Noodler's site? (I'm only mildly curious, so if it's the latter, I'm not looking for an explanation as enthusiastic as Mr. Noodler's!)

I think Senator Ted Kennedy had been serving in that seat for 40 years.

#41 it's for the 41th Republican seat in the US senate.

etiam mortuus redeo

Even dead I come back

Ryan.

R.

Their are 100 senators in the senate. Ted Kennedy was a Democrat, so before he died, their were 60 Democrats and 40 Republicans. When their are 60 people of one party and everyone votes on party line, you can have a filibuster, which allows you to debate on bills and basically ruin them so they will not get passed. When Kennedy died, their would be no filibuster because it would be 59 to 40. In Massachusetts, one would expect the Democrats to win, but when a Republican did, it pretty much blocked the filibuster.

A Proud 14 Year Old Fountain Pen User!

What I want:[/color]

Aurora Talentum

Pilot Custom 823 Amber Bought on 4.1.10

Lamy 2000

Omas Paragon

Sailor Realo

BTW, who is Scott?

I am thinking Scott is Scott Brown, the senator this ink is spawned from.

A Proud 14 Year Old Fountain Pen User!

What I want:[/color]

Aurora Talentum

Pilot Custom 823 Amber Bought on 4.1.10

Lamy 2000

Omas Paragon

Sailor Realo

Ryan.

R.

Their are 100 senators in the senate. Ted Kennedy was a Democrat, so before he died, their were 60 Democrats and 40 Republicans. When their are 60 people of one party and everyone votes on party line, you can have a filibuster, which allows you to debate on bills and basically ruin them so they will not get passed. When Kennedy died, their would be no filibuster because it would be 59 to 40. In Massachusetts, one would expect the Democrats to win, but when a Republican did, it pretty much blocked the filibuster.

Actually it is the other way around... when you have 60 votes you can stop a filibuster not have a filibuster...

Scott Brown's election will allow the Republicans to filibuster bills now... something they could not do after the last election.

BTW, who is Scott?

Yes. Scott is the person who inspired the ink. I linked Nathan's web page story behind the ink, so as to have this be a review about the actual ink and color. Politics (however compelling you may feel about your position) belong elsewhere.

I like the idea of having a dark enough, permanent, and unique brown for signing checks, this year's tax return, etc.

I just checked again today with a jewler's loop that there still is zero nib creep.

BTW, who is Scott?

Yes. Scott is the person who inspired the ink. I linked Nathan's web page story behind the ink, so as to have this be a review about the actual ink and color. Politics (however compelling you may feel about your position) belong elsewhere.

I like the idea of having a dark enough, permanent, and unique brown for signing checks, this year's tax return, etc.

I just checked again today with a jewler's loop that there still is zero nib creep.

Cool! An ink with a story. I like that in an ink.

My preliminary observations on this ink.

I am using it in a Lamy 2K, and agree with the review on the most part.

Heavily saturated ink.

Yet, very free flowing.

Stains like the dickens. Still haven't been able to wipe the section of the L2K clean. Beginning to think I will have an opaque ink view window for a long time. My nib does and is stained.

To me it looks like it has some red in it.

See it as a deep rich chocolate hue. Looks good enough for formal/business use on paper.

It doesn't feather on my SAM'S Club yellow pads, but it does bleed through a bit. (the are rather thin)

I would buy the ink again.

YMMV

• 2 weeks later...

Very nice selection of inks for comparison. Waterman Havana looks very interesting. Has more purple in it on my monitor. Is it right?

Rita, as I look at the pages again today, especially the smears, there is a trace of deep eggplant (vs. purple) in the Havanna. The purest brown with no suggestion of any other shades is the MB Holiday Chocolate 2005...with the PR Chocolat a close second. The Noodlers #41 has a trace of dark olive green.

Well,it's Noodler's and their back story on this ink who are bringing politics into the picture, which disappoints me immensely, actually, and something I wouldn't have expected. :sick:

Nakaya Piccolo Heki Tamenuri 14K XF

Nakaya Ascending Dragon Heki 14K XXF

Sailor Brown Mosaic 21K Saibi Togi XXF

Sailor Maki-e Koi 21K XF

Pilot Namiki Sterling Silver Crane FP

Bexley Dragon XXF

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_qVJOiluU9_4/THp4iGeCcpI/AAAAAAAAA2A/xh2FRE0B8p0/s320/InkDropLogoFPN3.jpg

I love the humor/irony/historical moment behind this ink's creation. I ordered mine last week but it was out of stock. Can't wait to get it and try it out.

An eye for insignificant details is a good sign you will do just fine in medical school...

As a sharp wit and powerful sarcasm is a sign that you already have.

Somebody

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for moving this back in this section, Ann. :thumbup:

• 7 months later...

So would I be correct in assuming it's very close to El Lawrence, but for the U.S. market?

Given what I've seen of El Lawrence, and my own sample of #41, they're really nothing alike. E.L. has a rep for being a dry ink with poor flow, #41 flows and generally behaves well. E.L. is more of a grey color, while #41 I'd describe as a rich coffee bean brown with a hint of red in it, which matches up with most of the other reviews on FPN. In fact on my monitor, Sam's picture of Montblanc Seasons Greetings looks pretty identical to my #41.

Edited by Yoda4561