Waterman: Blue-Black

Signum1

I've been using this ink for awhile and had to share the wonderful colour with the rest of you fine ink addicts enthusiasts. Enjoy the rest of the reading. :)

The Review

http://img121.imageshack.us/img121/999/scannedimage4p.jpg

The Water Test

http://img63.imageshack.us/img63/9071/img0646nk.jpg

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Signum1

• haziz

• fluctuations

• jjdeal

Great review and beautiful handwriting! WBB is an excellent ink. Once I got over the fact that the color was not what I expected, it is a wonderful shade I compare to blue denim. It is more subdued than a vivid blue like Waterman Florida Blue, but still blue, not really bluish black. I find it very pleasing to go back and read later.

Adam

Dayton, OH

It is the glory of God to conceal a matter; to search out a matter is the glory of kings.

-- Prov 25:2

A great review of a classic ink. I just ran out of this color. It's time to purchase more! You have beautiful hand writing.

Nice handwriting. This seems to be a nice BB. I like the fact that it is more blue than black. I'm gonna try some out soon.

We use Waterman Blue-Black for ALL our pen tuning, testing up here at the Nashua Pen Spa. We LOVE this ink for several reasons:

1) It's very benign and flows nicely in virtually any pen.

2) It's very easy to wash out of pens, converters.

3) It's very easy to wash out of clothing and most importantly , it washes off our hands very easily and completely!

Sensitive Pen Restoration doesn't cost extra.

Find me on Facebook at MONOMOY VINTAGE PEN

If you want a Waterman ink with water-resistance and looks like a dark BlueBlack, use Waterman Black. The blue component remains after rinsing.

"Anyone who lives within their means suffers from a lack of imagination."

Oscar Wilde

Beautiful color, now I have to understand why when I use it, after some minutes the Waterman BB becomes green. Maybe I should try another bottle?

Ciao

Alfredop

Beautiful color, now I have to understand why when I use it, after some minutes the Waterman BB becomes green. Maybe I should try another bottle?

Ciao

Alfredop

Yep, something strange going on there. I've never experienced this...

Ciao

Alfredop

My Waterman BB is really a medium teal. Also is much lighter than my other blue-blacks, like PR Midnight Blues.

My Waterman BB is really a medium teal. Also is much lighter than my other blue-blacks, like PR Midnight Blues.

Mine is also a teal blue, and not really very dark. Depending on the pen, it results in a lighter or darker look, but certainly far from what the "black" in the label would suggest. Not that I do not like the colour, but does not answer to what the label says. It does not look anything like the example in thie review.

Judging from the fact some of us have already mentioned this, it would seem there are different formules? Or wrong batches? Expired shelf life?

“Never tell people how to do things. Tell them what to do and they will surprise you with their ingenuity.”

General George S. Patton

http://i729.photobucket.com/albums/ww296/messiah_FPN/Badges/SnailBadge.png

Thanks very much for the nice review. Your ink is a beautiful color. The sample I have is a dark teal. It is smooth and enjoyable to write with, but I wanted blue-black, not teal.

May you have pens you enjoy, with plenty of paper and ink. :)

Please use only my FPN name "Gran" in your posts. Thanks very much!

I noticed this in the first fill in one pen. The color was a green/black. The other pens were more along the line of the color in the review. Also, after this first fill, the ink looked like the color in the review. Perhaps a tiny amount of residual ink can react with the Blue/Black and cause the color to change.

The true color is my favorite. One of the pens I am carrying always has this ink in it.

Dave

I wish this would stay the same color like it flows out of the nib on paper - but it dries to something else...

I also rate this ink among my favorites. I have seen the color change more in a pen with a dry nib. Great review! I'm going to go practice calligraphy today!

I too have found this, I currently have two pens with this ink, one is an old f

nibbed lever filler where it appears dark and the other a

b nibbed pel where it appears much lighter. It is puzzling and my thoughts were it is the flow on the pel that is 'to blame'. Going to refill it with tsuki-yo as it is a reasonably similar colour to see if it exhibits the same problem.

Mine is also a teal blue, and not really very dark. Depending on the pen, it results in a lighter or darker look, but certainly far from what the "black" in the label would suggest. Not that I do not like the colour, but does not answer to what the label says. It does not look anything like the example in thie review.

Judging from the fact some of us have already mentioned this, it would seem there are different formules? Or wrong batches? Expired shelf life?

Platinum 3776 - F, Pilot Decimo - F, TWSBI Vac Mini - 1.1i

The color variation seems to depend as already mentioned on the wetness of the nib, but I've found the paper plays a great role as well. pH? Oxidation? One of the nicest and friendliest inks to use out there, nevertheless. Thanks for the review.

My bottle also goes to a Teal hue and looks nothing like the test page.

I figured, since it is just ink, that Waterman gets the dyes from multiple sources and although the mix is to a color standard in the vat, they end up with different dry on the paper hues.

Agree with the very well behaved fountain pen ink position.

Since the Noodler's (we are going to call it) Air Corps Blue Black issue, I have taken ink names with a grain of salt. A rose by any other name..............

As long as it is dark, and ledgible for the next seven years it is usually good enough.

YMMV

I think the Legal Lapis ink from Noodler is the ink that's close to the "TEAL" look. Yet when I tried this Waterman Blue-Black ink, I get a pleasant surprise that's different than the other ink reviews of the Waterman Blue-Black. Water resistant is a characteristic I look for in an ink. I recall after washing my hands, I was reviewing some documents with my moist hands. The DC Supershow blue ink, on the documents with my notations, disappeared from the documents I was handling with my moist hands. It's a little disappointing when I see my notations disappear on contact with water. Well it's all part of the writing experience these days. Thanks for chiming in with your thoughts about the Waterman Blue-Black.