Lamy Persona Black

Namo

This is my first pen review – and English is not my first language – so please, be nice with me. I hope the pics shows in proper order. (Edit: the pics are indeed below the post).

I've bought this pen several monthes ago for a very decent price – less than 100$. I must say that I am partial to Lamy's pens. They might not be the most exciting pens on the market, but they are workhorses, true writers ; and I love their designs and the quality-for-price they give.

My first impression was : what a strange pen ! The horizontal/vertical lining on the hold section and on the barrel create a classique but « décalé »look, that seems to me rather far from the usual simplicity of Lamys and maybe breaking with their « form follows function » (sometimes not so justified) moto . The nib end of the pen is somewhat short-ending, reminding of a tiger-shark.

The material is supposed to be titanium oxide, also an other model is made out Makrolon, like the Lamy 2000 (according to encremental in this post : http://www.fountainp...showtopic=61641)

It is very soft and warm to the hand and gives a very comfortable grip. It doesn't get slipery at any time.

The grip is surprisingly confortable. As you can see on the pics, the section is constituted by horizonal bumps and it does privide a very safe grip, even near the nib. I tend to hold my pens a little bit higher than that though (right on the « ears » of the 2K), here just where the vertical and the horizontal lines meet, right on the screw. And the truth is, it is not a problem at all. Of course, I do feel the screw, but it dosn't hurt, nor does it bother me in writing, even for a long time.

I generally use the pen unposted. The pen, unposted, is about the size of a 2K, a bit larger in diameter. The balance is near perfect as far as I am concerned. I can write effortlessy for hours, barely feeling the pen in my hand. The cap is very long (I presume it is needed for the clip to retract ; see below) and, when posted, the pen is somewhat unbalanced to the rear. The advantage, though, is that you can hold the pen very high on the barrel if that is the way you like it.

The cap is a screw cap and the screw is very short, 1/2 or 1/3 of a turn (shorter than Pelikan's anyway). It is almost as easy to use as a « click » cap. But this creates one problem : the pen unscrew rather easily.

There is the usual Lamy's little trick with the clip. The clip is spring loaded and retract into the cap. This gives a nice, clean look to the pen and it is easy to use, but I can't say I care very much for it. I just don't see any functionnal advantage to it with this pen (unlike the clip of the Studio, for instance). There is a little sphere at the near end of the cap that was added with later models (proving that the original design was not so efficient) to prevent the pen from rolling down the desk – it is effective but only to some point.

The nib is wonderful. I have a EF 14k that writes larger than a japanese F (I usually use a « large » F). It is an exceptionnal writer, very clean and soft and with a little more spring than usual for a Lamy. There is absolutely no flex though. I never had any trouble with ink flow or anything else. I tried Pelikan blue and then Noodler's Borealis Black. With Pelikan Royal blue, the pen was not very wet and even tend to be on the dry side after half an hour or so of writing. I like when the pen delivers a little bit more ink, but it didn't affect the smoothness of the pen. With Noodler's Borealis, the pen is wet enough for my taste and does provide a (very) small line variation.

As you can see, the attach of the nib is somewhat special. I don't know if there is any pratical advantage to this design, but I find it quit attractive – the fact that the full nib is exposed to the sight.

The pen is a c/c. The converter scews into the pen (z25 Lamy converter, like in the Accent ; I understand that it will be discontinued very soon), and I must say that I find that both consistant with the general design and rather useful. One downside though : it seems to hold only a small amount of ink and, even with a EF nib, you have to refill it a bit too often. Why not a piston filler with this beautiful, high entry pen ?! (and will ever Lamy produce a new piston filler ?)

I am lucky to have this pen : I couldn't have bought it at the regular price. To me, it is a beautiful object and an exceptionnal writer, very comfortable for my rather long hand (and as a user, this is most important). I love the look and design of the pen, where I can find a « clin d'œil » to the Lamy 2K.

Thank you for reading !

post-21880-126485872981_thumb.jpg

post-21880-126485875108_thumb.jpg

post-21880-126485877212_thumb.jpg

post-21880-126485879125_thumb.jpg

post-21880-126485881663_thumb.jpg

post-21880-126485884799_thumb.jpg

post-21880-126485887784_thumb.jpg

Edited by Namo

amonjak.com

post-21880-0-68964400-1403173058.jpg

free 70 pages graphic novel. Enjoy!

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Namo

• Bo Bo Olson

• significantpass

• Ed Ronax

Thank you for reviewing this very underrated pen.

The sword is mightier than the pen. However, swords are now obsolete whereas pens are not.

-Unknown

Thanks for the review. I like the clip and the vertical lines. The reason the nib is so stiff is probably the tubular shape of the nib.

Actually, I would not describe the nib as "stiff" - nothing like the rOtring 600 nib, for instance. It has some spring, or softness - the nib bend a little when writing - but no flex - the two parts of the pen (ties?) don't spread at all.

amonjak.com

Thanks for the review of a great pen. I love your photos too! I have the Persona in silver, and it is one of my favorite pens. For those who post their pens, I think the pen can be a little top heavy, but I write without posting, so it is fine for me.

Exuberance is beauty.

(Wm. Blake)

Actually, I would not describe the nib as "stiff" - nothing like the rOtring 600 nib, for instance. It has some spring, or softness - the nib bend a little when writing - but no flex - the two parts of the pen (ties?) don't spread at all.

Right, soft but no spreading of the tines.

• 3 weeks later...

Excellent review, Namo. You did the pen great justice. It is indeed an understated model by Lamy.

I am most curious by your comment regarding the Z25 converter. Where did you hear that it is soon to be discontinued?

[MYU's Pen Review Corner] | "The Common Ground" -- Jeffrey Small

Excellent review, Namo. You did the pen great justice. It is indeed an understated model by Lamy.

I am most curious by your comment regarding the Z25 converter. Where did you hear that it is soon to be discontinued?

Thank you, MYU. Concerning the converter z25, I have been triying to find back the original source of info (possibly a post on FPN), but I am unable to find it. Or maybe I have been delirious (converter delirium... interesting...) So maybe it is better to disregard this part of the post.

I take this opportunity to add a link, provided by sirksael

Persona Link

amonjak.com

• 1 month later...

Definitely one of the lesser-known Lamy pens.

Apparently, it was not very well received,

and perhaps it was thus discontinued.

• 3 weeks later...

I got mine cheaper than what ever it was as new. I'd been in an optometrist shop who sells antiques an asked. You know looking for something antique in pens, when he whips out this very modern pen.

I went home, looked it up, and told my wife how much I liked it.

The b*tch went behind my back and bought it the very next day, and at a better price than was offered me.The next day she surprised me. I think she paid @ E-80. With box, converter and five cartridges.

She buys other stuff from him and learned to bargain on a vacation to Egypt.

Ok mine has a 18 K nib, very soft, very smooth held right. The problem is it is modern OB.

I have an Pelikan 14 K, old cut OB. That Pelikan shows shading, the modern cut Lamy OB is only for some one who holds his pen crooked.

I had to load the pen as I read the review. The only nib I think I got that is similar is the silver P-75 M.

Now, both pens are loaded with De Atramentis Bordeaux rot.

In the Parker the ink is sort of blaa, almost brown.

(I have just learned to wait to the next day for the ink to really dry, and day light before making judgments. And a broader nib, makes it IMO, more vibrant.)

In the Lamy Persona, it's much more red. It makes that ink sit up and bark, the Parker and that ink, is sleeping in front of the dog house; waiting for me to buy a new ink.

If you pinch, it is more comfortable un-posted.

If you write fore finger on top, posted it writes comfortable posted, and the cap clicks on.

For me forefinger up on top, it writes more comfortable posted than pinched, un-posted. Pinched posted it is top heavy.

Try it if you know how, fore finger up. It's perfect IMO, that way.

I am going to have some one adjust the cut, to a more old fashioned OB, then Look out Pelikan 140.....

Don't worry about it turning in your pocket, the spring clip, clips so hard it can't turn unless you do something real, real weird.

Edited by Bo Bo Olson

In reference to P. T. Barnum; to advise for free is foolish, ........busybodies are ill liked by both factions.

The cheapest lessons are from those who learned expensive lessons. Ignorance is best for learning expensive lessons.

Maybe I'm a bit late with my reply, but the Z25 has indeed been discontinued.

I have a copy of the Lamy 2009 dealer catalogue and this converter is no longer listed, which is rather unfortunate IMO (and made me buy two spares for my Accent and Persona).

On their website Lamy lists now the Z26 as converter for the Accent model.

B.

I got to run down town to my Brick and Mortar or across town to Lamy and get a couple of spares.

I live in Heidelberg, once the pen capitol of the world.(Shanghai is now.)

Lamy, Farber Castell and some small mystery producer, are still here. My wife pointed out the mystery producer, and I've not made it over there, yet.

Kawaco, is still here too, I think.

Rotewing, Osmia and a couple of others were made here.

In reference to P. T. Barnum; to advise for free is foolish, ........busybodies are ill liked by both factions.

The cheapest lessons are from those who learned expensive lessons. Ignorance is best for learning expensive lessons.

Great review. I have the exact same model, and am very pleased with it. For some reason it's easier to use than its Makrolon equivalent.

Regards

eric

Edited by ericthered2004

The flowers celebrated their sweetness

With just our noses

(ericthered junior)

Man, let me know if you find another Persona for that price! I've been wanting one for a while.

http://twitter.com/pawcelot

Vancouver Pen Club

Currently inked:

Montegrappa NeroUno Linea - J. Herbin Poussière de Lune //. Aurora Optima Demonstrator - Aurora Black // Varuna Rajan - Kaweco Green // TWSBI Vac 700R - Visconti Purple

• 4 months later...

The Persona is indeed a very nice pen with unusual design. I got one some months ago from ebay for 36 Euros and am very content after Lamy had the defective nib changed for only 30 Euros. It's surely kind of heavy, but I like the soft nib even though it got no flex. It must be the same nib Lamy used foe their Lamy Lady which I still try find somehow, but they're rather scarce! Take a look here:

My link

I wonder how the porcellaine feels in your hands . . . :puddle:

Edited by newlife

• 2 years later...

Thanks for the review of a great pen. I love your photos too! I have the Persona in silver, and it is one of my favorite pens. For those who post their pens, I think the pen can be a little top heavy, but I write without posting, so it is fine for me.

I also have a black Persona and I thought it was only me that found the pen top-heavy when posted..