Parker Frontier Flighter versus Non Flighter advice

Flounder

Recently, I tried out my brother's new all-steel frontier (very briefly) and was impressed with its performance. In particular, the diameter of the pen was pleasingly substantial, the soft grip section comfortable, and the unposted weight & balance very well suited to my hand. The smoothness of the nib and generous medium line reminded me of my 45 flighter.

I'd quite like one myself, but maybe not the flighter. I think the shape really suits the steel cap, black body version; if anyone has tried both, can you tell me if there is a great difference in weight between the black and flighter versions of the Frontier? Or if you have a non flighter version, is it a plastic body, and do you find it too light for prolonged use?

Edited by Flounder

Latest pen related post @ flounders-mindthots.blogspot.com : vintage Pilot Elite Pocket Pen review

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Flounder

• DeeJay

• hatherton_wood

• carlc

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Recently, I tried out my brother's new all-steel frontier (very briefly) and was impressed with its performance. In particular, the diameter of the pen was pleasingly substantial, the soft grip section comfortable, and the unposted weight & balance very well suited to my hand. The smoothness of the nib and generous medium line reminded me of my 45 flighter.

I'd quite like one myself, but maybe not the flighter. I think the shape really suits the steel cap, black body version; if anyone has tried both, can you tell me if there is a great difference in weight between the black and flighter versions of the Frontier? Or if you have a non flighter version, is it a plastic body, and do you find it too light for prolonged use?

I own both models - I'll give you precise weights within 24 hours. Informally, I find the weight/balance of the black version entirely acceptable. The black barrel is indeed some sort of rigid plastic. I think the Frontier is an underrated modern classic.

Much obliged DeeJay! Whilst I have your ear, can I ask your opinion of your frontier nibs? My brother's flighter had a smooth steel nib with the swirly etching, whereas I read somewhere there's a newer design like this. If there's any difference besides aesthetics, which do you have on your Frontiers, and what's your opinion of it?

Edited by Flounder

Latest pen related post @ flounders-mindthots.blogspot.com : vintage Pilot Elite Pocket Pen review

I'll chip in if I may.

I have had one of the coloured Frontiers (Dawn) - I sold it and am now looking at a flighter as I miss it so much.

The nibs on these pens are great - some say the nib is better than that on the Sonnet - personally I wouldn't go that far. The nib is typical Parker - smooth and wide.

As far as I am aware they only make fine and medium for the Frontier - actually that's a lie they make an italic (but they are very rare - having said that Pendemonium has 1.4 and 1.8mm versions in stock!) - if you like a broader nib then the medium is wet and lovely. If you prefer a finer line you may find even the fine is too wide for you. If you know Parker nibs then you'll know what I mean - their fine is close to many other pen company's mediums.

By the way you do appreciate the black is translucent - according to Parkerpens.net they stopped making the solid black in 2000 - and even then it was ball pen and pencil only. Though having a look at those pens I have seen the metallic grey that they stopped making in 2002 - that's nice!

As for the styling on the nib - I believe that it was just changes in decoration and the nib itself hasn't changed - though when it changed I don't know, looking around the online retailers are only showing the 'newer' version - I can't remember what the styling was on mine I'm afraid.

Carl

"Ask not what you can do for your country. Ask what's for lunch" Orson Welles

The only fault of the Frontier is the cap becoming loose with time, eventually not staying on at all- otherwise it is excellent. It was always marked make in the UK - does anybody know where it is being made now?

By the way you do appreciate the black is translucent

I have seen this in all the descriptions on eBay and internet stores, but its hard to get a real idea of how it looks from the photos of the pen on its own. Is it like a very glossy, piano black style finish?

and many thanks for the input so far chaps.

if anyone has tried both, can you tell me if there is a great difference in weight between the black and flighter versions of the Frontier? Or if you have a non flighter version, is it a plastic body,

All-up weight of Frontier Flighter 20g, of which barrel is 7.8g

All-up weight of Frontier Black 15.8g, of which barrel is 3.6g

The cap weighs about 8.0g (included in all-up weight above), so the nib+section+cartridge(empty) come to just over 4.1g.

I hadn't noticed that the black plastic barrel was translucent - it looks solid and shiny. It takes a strong light at close range to shine through it. (You can't see whether or not a cartridge is installed in normal daylight.) There are 'marbled' versions of the Frontier body too, which I don't have - I guess they would be noticably translucent.

The nibs on both of mine (purchased as new in the UK in the last 3 years) have the stylised angular 'quill' marking, not the 'swirl'.

hth

DeeJay

Thanks for your very detailed efforts on my behalf!

It looks like I'll be tracking down the steel cap black version.

Oh, and seeing as there's no difference in performance between the two nib designs, I think I'll get the swirly type,just for personal preference :)

thanks again you fellows.

[big sigh] ...Well, my new frontier arrived today. For a black bodied pen, even a "translucent" black bodied pen, it sure looks a particularly nauseating shade of seethrough glam 70s purple. Is the black Frontier more purple than black, or has the seller thrown a purple chromaflair into an enveople without so much as a second glance? Is the purple version also 'translucent'?

After this and my wrong-region Frasier boxset, I'm expecting one more piece of internet purchase bad luck!

For a black bodied pen, even a "translucent" black bodied pen, it sure looks a particularly nauseating shade of seethrough glam 70s purple. Is the black Frontier more purple than black,

With no comment implied as to how or why you have received the pen you have, I'll say from my experience (limited to 2 pens, one in use, one mint-in-packing) that a Black Frontier is unmistakeably Black!

Uncorrected photo's and image compression can mislead, but I'll put some pictures up for you for comparison.

Thanks DeeJay - don't trouble yourself taking photos though. I had a look at the seller's stock, he is selling new translucent blacks and new chromaflair purples, so he must have sent a purple one by mistake. The pen description on the auction was definitly black, in any case. How could he make such a simple mistake!!

*attachment warning*

:(

Ah, the merry dance that is eBay. The seller has admitted he hasn't got any black Frontiers. Would I like some more ink cartridges? I would prefer an address to return it to? Silence now for days... Meanwhile, I spotted another BNIB frontier from another eBay seller. With the payment, I even included a paypal message to specifically make sure not to send a purple one. It arrived today, and it's the same as the last one.

Am I losing it? The pens below are not translucent black, they are *purple*, right?

The first, swirl nib frontier next to a black snorkel:

The second, new nib frontier next to a snorkel, still in the blister pack:

The second, new nib frontier on its own:

The only clue to colour on the blister packaging; does the code refer to the ink or the pen body?

Whilst I have them here, I have noticed a difference in the tipping between the two nib styles, I'll do a seperate post later.

Edited by Flounder

The pens ... are not translucent black, they are *purple*, right?

I agree, they look purple to me. I'm sorry you're having trouble with what seemed like a simple purchase.

For comparison, here is the picture I took some days ago that you thought you didn't need.

post-6200-126598370579.jpg

I know the currency is not Flounder's own, but I think he will recognise it. The back of the phone is a close match in colour and sheen to the barrel of the pen.

I second the recommendation in another thread regarding PilotFish/OnlinePen - I've used them a couple of times and had prompt accurate service at good prices.

hth

Good man Deejay - I hope you didn't take offense when I said not to take photos, I just didn't want to put you out on my account. Thanks for all your help. Please send me the £20 for further examination :)

Further developments: The second seller sent a black frontier, arrived today, and very graciously said to keep the purple one. It's still in its blister pack, so hopefully I can persuade him to take it back, after all he's not running a charity. The first seller is still keeping silent, so I'm going through the eBay route for a return. Strikes and gutters eh?

I can't help but feel Parker has made a bit of a mistake in the design of these blister packs. There is no mention of the pen colour anywhere, and the purple one does look quite dark in the package.

If anyone else buys a Frontier from eBay, instead of the more sensible route DeeJay mentioned, the "Translucent Black" pen can be identified for sure from this code written on top of the barcode on the reverse of the package.

I bought my frontier from a dealer on line; I tried to find the most official and safest route. I do not use ebay, it is my personal opinion; and many people do not get exactly what their eyes are dreaming.

I have a parker flight full metal jacket. I like the fact that parker frontier has a comfort cushion in the place were the pen is held. That makes all the world of a difference in a pen I believe, and on top of that it doesn't bulge out like a lot of pens do making them look comfortable but not stylish. The cushion area on the parker is smooth and flows well with the pen.

• 4 months later...

I agree, I'd not use eBay for a pen purchase. Basically if you go through eBay, buyer beware. I'd rather pay a little more and have a bricks and mortar to deal with. The only exception for eBay is if the seller is local and I can pick up and inspect. I did that with my Sonnett and 3 Frontiers and had good luck but the seller was local and very accommodating and before bidding we settled on the fact I'd come to look at them and pick them up and if not acceptable for any reason, I could simply walk. My only mistake was not bringing more cash as they had a number of FPs and items they'd not advertised as of yet and I could have been a kid in a candy store and totally out of control.