Crack in Lamy 2000

flamesofanor

I am from Singapore, and i bought an EF Lamy 2000 from a well known local retailer on 26/12/09. The pen wrote extremely well and i've been using it daily since. I am totally in love with this pen!

To my horror i discovered a crack in the pen yesterday morning (27/1/10). It was a circumferential crack appearing half a centimeter below the joint of the pen on the black portion of the grip area. The crack runs about 80% around the pen. There is no ink leak, and the pen still writes as well as before. The pen did not suffer any traumatic event (ie. I did not drop the pen, nor sit on it etc). It was not exposed to any extreme temperatures. I always carry it in my breast pocket. The crack appeared suddenly, and spontaneously.

I immediately visited the retailer, who says they can't do anything except send the pen for assessment and likely have it replaced at my own cost.

However i have come across an account of an exact similar occurrence (same crack same place) with another Lamy 2000 user who was offered a replacement by both his retailer and by Lamy. His account can be found here: http://khiongcentric.blogspot.com/2009/09/lamy-2000.html (click on the link to the post on the cracked pen)

Here is a picture i took of the crack in my pen:post-26126-126468953093_thumb.jpg

I am wondering if anyone else out there has had a similar experience with their pen, and if anyone could guess what is the cause of this. I just find it strange that both our experiences were so similar with no history of trauma to the pen.

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• flamesofanor

• Pippin60

• fenriz

• majorworks

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I don't own this pen but I have seen reports of this issue here on FPN. Read through the reviews of the pen here, particularly, if I recall right, the one by MYU.

Lamy customer service is reputed to be very good. You may have to send your pen to Heidelberg but I think they'd make it right by you.

Happiness is an Indian ED!

I've just recently sent off my L2K (albeit for a different reason) to the Heidelburg shop. I'll let you know how long it takes and if they're helpful.

So far, 2 weeks and counting.

-Dave

Pilot VP 'Stealth', .8mm Stub - Waterman Florida Blue

TWSBI, F Nib - Noodlers Habanero * Online, M Nib - Waterman Florida Blue

Mont Blanc 144 Platinum, F Nib - Waterman Florida Blue * Lamy 2000, XF Nib - Nano Black

Lamy Safari, 1.1, 1.5 & 1.9 mm Italic Nibs - Baystate Blue

Seti At Home Member since 2006 - setiathome.berkeley.edu - www.NiteSiters.com

lamy has a lifetime warranty, if it wasn't your fault, they should replace it free of charge, minus the $8.00 or so to cover S&H

I'm a little hot potato right meow

"no they are not making littler ponies, they are EMBRACING"

I opened a box of cheerios and planted them. I thought they were doughnut seeds. They didn't sprout :( (joke of the week)

Lamy customer service is very good. You don't say how long you've owned the pen, so I can't say anything bad about the vendor. If you've had the pen for several months then I can't blame the vendor for saying go to the manufacturer. I too own a a L2k and have for several years but have had no problems with it.

The difference between the almost right word & the right word is really a large matter--it's the difference between the lightning bug and the lightning.

- Mark Twain in a Letter to George Bainton, 10/15/1888

Lamy customer service is very good. You don't say how long you've owned the pen, so I can't say anything bad about the vendor. If you've had the pen for several months then I can't blame the vendor for saying go to the manufacturer. I too own a a L2k and have for several years but have had no problems with it.

In the OP's first sentence he says he bought it on Dec. 26, 2009. Seems to me that the vendor ought to be a little more accommodating than to say "it's your problem."

Happiness is an Indian ED!

In the OP's first sentence he says he bought it on Dec. 26, 2009. Seems to me that the vendor ought to be a little more accommodating than to say "it's your problem."

Missed that, it was purchased that short of a time ago.

The difference between the almost right word & the right word is really a large matter--it's the difference between the lightning bug and the lightning.

- Mark Twain in a Letter to George Bainton, 10/15/1888

While I would agree that the vendor ought to stand behind their product, especially as it's such a recent purchase (I know that that's our policy at The Pear Tree, anyway), I'd also say that I've had very good service with Lamy's customer care here in the States. I would expect the same from their customer care team in Heidelberg, too.

http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1118/726404937_328386ddc6_o.jpg

Brassing Adds Character: Available by clicking on my signature.

I had problems with my Lamey 2000 also. I had a crack in the barrel that was leaking ink. I finally sent it in to Lamey for repair. They moved the point to a new pen and sent the repaired pen and the original cracked barrel back to me - at no charge. I was very pleased with their service.

PCAbrams

Perry.Abrams@hotmail.com

LOL. That's my blog post. I agree with the advices offered.... Send it to Lamy.

Here are their contacts & address:

tel. +49-(0)6221-843136

fax +49-(0)6221-843219

mail: ex@lamy.de

C. Josef Lamy GmbH

Grenzhoefer Weg 32

69123 Heidelberg

GERMANY

Or you could buy the parts here (usual disclaimer). I've bought from them before and delivery is 2 weeks to Brunei (near Singapore).

Edited by cheekhiong

I received my Lamy 2000 back from Heidelberg yesterday and have only the highest praise for their service. I had bought one with a BB nib off Ebay, but decided that a B nib would be better. I sent them an email, offering to pay for the nib change - after all, it was my fault - but they told me to put it in the post. It was returned and no fee charged.

As others have suggested, send them an email asking for advice.

http://img244.imageshack.us/img244/5642/postcardde9.png

I emailed Lamy and got a reply within a few hours. They have offered to replace the pen. Now i just have to send it in. Thanks for all the comments and advice everyone!

Edited by flamesofanor

• 4 weeks later...

I just got my pen back from Lamy, and guess what, they replaced the section with the new all steel tip! I'm so happy!

Excellent service by Lamy i must say. I'm really impressed!

You've had the pen for a month!!!

Email Lamy customer service. They're really good.

They'll likely ask you to post it to Lamy direct and I won't be surprised (though won't put money on it) if you got it replaced free. Especially if you have the warranty certificate and never dropped it.

Quite unusual for a Lamy 2000 to crack. They're one of the most durable FP's I know.

In Rotation: MB 146 (EF), Noodler's Ahab bumblebee, Edison Pearl (F), Sailor ProGear (N-MF)

In storage: MB 149 (18k EF), TWSBI 540 (B), ST Dupont Olympio XL (EF), MB Dumas (B stub), Waterman Preface (ST), Edison Pearl (0.5mm CI), Noodler's Ahab clear, Pilot VP (M), Danitrio Densho (F), Aurora Optima (F), Lamy 2000 (F), Visconti Homo Sapiens (stub)

• 4 years later...

Reviving this ancient thread w the same issue, except I've had mine at least four years, have dropped it, had the bent tines repaired, had the m nib ground to a stub (by Steve Pustilnik in Houston) and it never quite wrote right. No matter- I've taken it apart, cleaned everything thoroughly and gave the nib a slight adjustment so the tines would just barely touch at the tip, and it writes beautifully after sitting in a drawer for at least a year (I lost patience with it until recently). BUT, it leaks, and it's due to a tiny vertical crack in the same piece just behind the grip section that the OP mentioned. I like that nib and would rather not have the whole pen replaced. Even if they include the original nib for me to use, that would be fine, but I like my stub!

Any thoughts?

the fact you have the nib ground just email local distributor about a replacement section if they opt you to send the pen in to their Texas? I think thats where filiofax? is not based if not the lamy center is based

if you can't contact your local distributor drop Lamy a line about replacement section

Wow that was quick! I'll call Dromgoole's in Houston and see what they have to say. Sounds like sending it in, whether to the vendor or to Lamy, is the thing to do. Thank you!

the fact you have the nib ground just email local distributor about a replacement section if they opt you to send the pen in to their Texas? I think thats where filiofax? is not based if not the lamy center is based

if you can't contact your local distributor drop Lamy a line about replacement section

Filofax no longer handle's Lamy's US support, it's Rediform, and the crack in the section like that as already mentioned is a problem that occurred in Lamy 2000's made prior to 2009, which has been solved by making the entire section steel where the black is just a decorative ring. So crack like that is pretty much what I'd call a manufacture defect and should be handled by warranty if the retailer won't do anything.

Edited by KBeezie

Lamy are the one pen company where I would say it's better to put it in an envelope and send it with an accompanying letter direct to them at Heidelberg. They won't communicate much but you'll have the pen back in no time - they will replace the section with an improved one (all-steel feeder hole) and re-finish your pen so it looks like new (and so the worn parts match the new one) and as long as it's an obvious defect it'll be free.

I'm guessing that the way Lamy see it, if a pen arrives at HQ 'unannounced' it's more than their reputation is worth (and also less hassle) not to just repair it and return it. In my experience they also re-test the pen before sending out and make other repairs as necessary.

I recently sent them:

- a Unic FP that had a worn inner cap so that the cap was loose. Not only did they replace that, but also installed a new feed which I hadn't even considered needing replacing.

- a 2000 FP with a shrunken seal. They replaced that, and also the section and feed, and refinished the pen

- a 2000 4-colour biro with a 'lost' clip spring. They replaced the spring, put a whole new pen mechanism in and refinished the pen

"Truth can never be told, so as to be understood, and not be believ'd." (Wiiliam Blake)

Visit my review: Thirty Pens in Thirty Days