Toothy but?

tanburi

Hi there. I'm constantly hearing that some Italian nibs, more specifically Auroras', have some toothiness which adds character and joy to writing. What is it like in general? Is it like the toothiness of an old, once smooth nib, or something different? And do they tend to be dry? I have really no idea of what's happening in the Mediterranean side of the fountain pen world (what a shame, living in Anatolia :)). Thanks in advance,

A.

Cogitamus non ideam sed per ideam.

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• tanburi

• Blade Runner

• lovemy51

• dabaron2001

I would say that toothiness is not scratchy but more of a friction against the page that feels like an interaction between the ink and the nib and paper; it's a conversation. I prefer it to the smooth as butter on hot glass experience that others prize. For me, the toothiness provides a sense of give and take, like a dance, like a tango.

My Aurora Optima is not a dry writer, but it has that tooth.

I guess I like a little friction.

etherX in To Miasto

Fleekair <--French accent.

It's kind of hard to describe, but ethernautrix's description is good. It doesn't feel at all like out-of-alignment scratchiness - it's a very different feeling. I like it too.

http://twitter.com/pawcelot

Vancouver Pen Club

Currently inked:

Montegrappa NeroUno Linea - J. Herbin Poussière de Lune //. Aurora Optima Demonstrator - Aurora Black // Varuna Rajan - Kaweco Green // TWSBI Vac 700R - Visconti Purple

Thanks for quick replies!

...the smooth as butter on hot glass experience that others prize...

That's exactly my problem. While I had to enjoy that butter effect on my (tuned) Pel (which is a real workhorse), I just don't. It works on almost every kind of paper, but it's just not right. OK, I need some friction. My only concern is whether such characteristic nibs 'choose' paper.

I think ethernautrix has a dead on description of the Aurora nib. Now to answer the question about the nib choosing paper? My EF Aurora runs a bit thinner than my EF Pelikan M600 so I don't get much if any bleedthrough even in a moleskine. It hasn't rejected any paper I've put it to yet. On that note, I have to admit that John Mottishaw adjusted mine to have a medium ink flow for light writing pressure before I recieved the pen. Toothy but smooth, give one a try!

http://img525.imageshack.us/img525/606/letterji9.png

The only tooth from an Aurora nib I ever felt was on my XF Talentum. Even then it smoothed out over time.

For me it was like writing with a No.2 pencil. It was smooth yet it had that pencil kind of friction

and this friction was only felt on certain paper not all papers like acid free bonds which wrote

very smoothly.

My Aurora 88 "fine" has little to no tooth which is very dependent on the paper you write on.

Aurora ink is one the best inks if you want smoother writing from your Aurora.

Also, tooth in Aurora nibs is mostly related to Extra Fine and Fine nibs. If anyone is getting tooth from

a med. or wider nib then I would say it is the ink which Aurora pens can be picky about. They really do

like lubricating inks.

I would say that toothiness is not scratchy but more of a friction against the page that feels like an interaction between the ink and the nib and paper; it's a conversation. I prefer it to the smooth as butter on hot glass experience that others prize. For me, the toothiness provides a sense of give and take, like a dance, like a tango.

My Aurora Optima is not a dry writer, but it has that tooth.

What a beautiful description.

http://img244.imageshack.us/img244/5642/postcardde9.pnghttp://img525.imageshack.us/img525/606/letterji9.png

Guys thanks for your comments. It's become very likely that I try an Aurora. Can anyone compare the Talentum to Pelikan Souveran series in size (width and weight also, if possible)?

I don't remember handling a Talentum (but I'm sure I have), but I'm willing to bet that the difference in weight between it and a Pelikan M200-600 Sovereign would be very noticeable. Most Auroras I've used also have a longer section than Pelikans. I'm not sure there's any big difference in width between the two. They just feel very different in the hand (I have an Ipsilon that I find to be heavier than I like; not so with my Optimas).

Just one more thing about the Aurora tooth: It's evenly distributed and for whatever reason doesn't create any real drag while writing.

Guys thanks for your comments. It's become very likely that I try an Aurora. Can anyone compare the Talentum to Pelikan Souveran series in size (width and weight also, if possible)?

I use a Talentum and an M800, they're comparable in most physical respects. The 800 is just a tad heavier and longer with a wider section. The nib differences have already been noted. Both pens have an XF nib and the Pelikan is still buttery smooth, while the Aurora has a not-inappropriate amount of tooth that provides a pleasant amount of feedback. I enjoy both and would say either pen would be a winner for you.

But, as always, what works, or doesn't, is always subject to personal quirks in hand and handwriting.

What's so funny about Peace, Love, and Understanding?

The feedback affords a sensuality that I enjoy as the nib moves over the fibers of my cotton stationery. It also gives me more control. Conversely slippery smooth nibs are hard to control, and my writing suffers, and those nibs lack any feedback, so feel characterless. I get that pleasurable slight feedback consistently from Aurora and Montblanc, especially the fines and mediums. On the same note, I don't like slippery smooth papers but enjoy papers with more feedback like Crane's..

Edited by Blade Runner

Also, tooth in Aurora nibs is mostly related to Extra Fine and Fine nibs. If anyone is getting tooth from

a med. or wider nib then I would say it is the ink which Aurora pens can be picky about. They really do

like lubricating inks.

hi PinarelloOnly.

you might be refering to the gold ones, cos' i got a "style" aurora with a gold-plated broad nib that's craaaazy toothy!!! i've done some smoothing to it and it's just decent now.

i would love to get a new one from them, tho' i don't know if they can just send me one (i don't wanna send kenro my pen again... they didn't do nothing to it last time).

• 3 months later...