31 replies to this topic

#1 matt0sta

matt0sta

Dipped Only

• Member - Gold

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 30 December 2009 - 22:17

Hey there! Does anyone know of a converter that will fit a kaweco sport? I am aware that they are prime for the ED mod, but I feel like a converter in more of a solid system.

#2 Nikhil

Nikhil

I Am and Adopt-A-Pen Service, Send Your Pens!

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,068 posts

Posted 30 December 2009 - 22:38

Any international brand will fit, like Waterman, Pelikan or Mont Blanc. Don't by a Pilot, Parker, Aurora, Platinum or a Sailor because they will not fit.
A Proud 14 Year Old Fountain Pen User!
What I want:[/color]
Aurora Talentum
Pilot Custom 823 Amber Bought on 4.1.10
Lamy 2000
Omas Paragon
Sailor Realo

#3 GreenVelvet

GreenVelvet

The Missive Maven

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,943 posts

Posted 30 December 2009 - 22:57

Any international brand will fit, like Waterman, Pelikan or Mont Blanc. Don't by a Pilot, Parker, Aurora, Platinum or a Sailor because they will not fit.

International cartridges fit, but I've not found an international converter that will work, due to the very short length of the body of the pen.

If anyone does know of an international converter that will definitely fit this pen, I'd love to hear of it - I've tried a few and they're all too long to screw the pen closed.

However, an eyedropper...

:hmm1:

Hmmm... I hadn't realized you could make an ED our of this pen. I didn't think there were enough threads, but I may have to try that.

#4 Nikhil

Nikhil

I Am and Adopt-A-Pen Service, Send Your Pens!

• Member - Gold

• 1,068 posts

Posted 30 December 2009 - 23:38

Try a mini converter. There was a review on 2 types and it should be in Writing Instruments somewhere.
A Proud 14 Year Old Fountain Pen User!
What I want:[/color]
Aurora Talentum
Pilot Custom 823 Amber Bought on 4.1.10
Lamy 2000
Omas Paragon
Sailor Realo

#5 fixedintime

fixedintime

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 126 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 30 December 2009 - 23:56

I got my converter from Swisher Pens - But haven't tired it yet.

#6 Ink Stained Wretch

Ink Stained Wretch

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 2,611 posts

Posted 31 December 2009 - 00:17

Hey there! Does anyone know of a converter that will fit a kaweco sport? I am aware that they are prime for the ED mod, but I feel like a converter in more of a solid system.

As someone else has pointed out, Swisher Pens sells a small converter for them. Also, some folks pull the metal weight out of the end of the barrel on Kaweco Sports to make more room for a converter. I haven't tried that myself, I just refill cartridges for mine.
On a sacred quest for the perfect blue ink mixture!
ink stained wretch filling inkwell

#7 matt0sta

matt0sta

Dipped Only

• Member - Gold

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 31 December 2009 - 04:44

Thanks so much for all of the help! Could anyone link me to any of these mini converters?

#8 FredRydr

FredRydr

No FPNPC for me

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,144 posts

Posted 31 December 2009 - 07:01

Short international converter from Swisher Pens here.

Short international converter on eBay here.

Small aerometric squeeze converter on eBay here.

They will all work with the Kaweco Sport.

#9 ChampagneKnight

ChampagneKnight

NOS (New Old Stock)

• Member - Gold

• PipPip
  • 16 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 06 May 2011 - 09:22

Thanks!! I was looking for a converter for this pen too. I just bought a Kaweco fp in the new carbon fiber and I am excited about it. I tried my friend's out and it is really nice. I wil get a Mont Blanc converter to see if that fits. Thanks a lot! :).

#10 ChampagneKnight

ChampagneKnight

NOS (New Old Stock)

• Member - Gold

• PipPip
  • 16 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 06 May 2011 - 09:42

Okay... I just visited their website.. if you could please let me know if it works and which exact model you got I would greatly appreciate it.. :). Thanks in advance. ..

I got my converter from Swisher Pens - But haven't tired it yet.

#11 Albertine

Albertine

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 384 posts

Posted 06 May 2011 - 21:35

I just bought the Kaweko converter from Swisher - I think the brand is Monteverde, called the Monteverde mini or something - and it works. Have it loaded up with Navajo Turquoise at the moment.

#12 cubic archon

cubic archon

Vintage

• Away
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 673 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 06 May 2011 - 22:11

As a note, the little gold squeeze convertors for international cartridges do not work with the modern Kaweco Sport. I know because I have some of both. They don't fit properly.

Actually those "bantam" convertors are generally useless, though they are fun. Even in pens where they do fit, like the Pilot Pluminix, they're effectively impossible to fill - at best you can get a few drops in.

#13 Surnia

Surnia

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 704 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 06 May 2011 - 23:21

I believe one of the ones used for the kawecos is the Monteverde mini. was looking into one when I was looking at the kawecos... still tempted by them but I'm saving for others.
Posted Image Member since Sept 7, 2010
TWSBI Diamond 530 - Private Reserve Avocado
Black Kaweco Sport M Nib - Diamine Oxblood
Wing Sung #233 - Noodler's Lexington Gray

#14 Chettiar

Chettiar

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 93 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 04 February 2012 - 17:19

Guys,

Again resurrecting this thread after a long time. Again another Kaweco Classic Sport this time and before converting them to EDs, would like to see if any of the short converters work for this one. Anyone using this with a converter now?

Advance Thanks,

Edited by Chettiar, 04 February 2012 - 17:20.

#15 Uncle Red

Uncle Red

Museum Piece

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,406 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 05 February 2012 - 20:56

Chettier, there are several threads on mini converters for the Kaweco. They can be summed up as

The Monteverde mini converter is small, may need to be modified to fit, sometimes it leaks

The Templar ink mini converter, See above.

Now, you may order one, it may fit perfectly and not leak. You may find that the small converter makes it easier to change inks.

#16 BedfordshireClanger

BedfordshireClanger

Near Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPip
  • 39 posts

Posted 05 February 2012 - 21:11

I used a Monteverde mini converter, with a bit of PTFE tape around it, to ensure a snug fit. But it was ugly, unreliable, and had a small capacity. So I bought a small pt of silicon grease, and made it into an eye-dropper. Much nicer to look at, and has a decent capacity.

#17 Chettiar

Chettiar

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 93 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 05 February 2012 - 22:28

@UncleRed Thank you very much! Am just going to order a few from them..

@BedfordshireClanger Thank you very much too! I am going to change them into EDs but one of them is a black and I am thinking of putting in a converter as ink level will not be visible..

#18 Apollo

Apollo

Handsome Devil

• Member - Gold

• 997 posts

Posted 06 February 2012 - 17:06

Templar Ink carries those mini converters that should fit the Kaweco Sport. Doesn't hold much ink, but it would be a practical option if you don't want to use cartridges and you aren't inclined to do the eyedropper conversion on your plastic-bodied Sport.
Posted Image Bendita mi tierra guanche.

#19 uojfe

uojfe

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 111 posts

Posted 06 February 2012 - 18:00

Syringe refilled international short carts have been working well for me.

#20 pseudo88

pseudo88

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 329 posts

Posted 08 February 2012 - 04:02

I got a Kaweco Sport as a gift, but don't want to deal with cartridges...

If the Monteverdi may generally leak, with my luck it will leak.

I'm such a klutz I'll probably stab myself with the syringe while trying to refill the cartridge - then I'll spill it all over myself.

Kaweco should really sell an official converter and be done with it.
"The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt."

B. Russell

#21 impossiblebird

impossiblebird

Everything stops for tea

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 788 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 16 February 2012 - 14:04

Kaweco should really sell an official converter and be done with it.

I'm with you on that.

I bought the short squeezebar converter, with the universal fitting, but the metal sheath won't go into the back of the Sport section; it's just a fraccy too bulky (It works in the Waterman Ici et Là, though, so all was not lost). I was put off the Monteverde by reports of it leaking. But I do have a converter that works, and it's in my pocket in a transparent Ice Sport, with no issues so far. It's the converter for the Regal "Anne" mini fountain pen, and it's a push piston, as opposed to a twist piston; unfortunately I have to report that I don't see any for sale anywhere just now.

I have the Kaweco Al Sport also, but have to report that the same converter doesn't fit! It seems the feed nipple is a wee bit smaller in diameter than that on the plastic Sport. This eplains why I can only get a couple of fills out of a cartridge before it's too loose to be used in the Al Sport.

So, in fact, Kaweco need to think about making TWO more converters.

#22 wastelanded

wastelanded

No affiliation.

• Member - Gold

• 1,424 posts

Posted 16 February 2012 - 16:39

I recently cleaned an old "Kaweco by Diplomat" Sport for a friend, and to my surprise the Monteverde converter fit, even clicking into place solidly. Not that this makes any difference to our present conumdrum, I just thought I'd put it out there.

Edit - That Regal converter looks exactly like the Monteverde, or am I mistaken?

Edited by wastelanded, 16 February 2012 - 16:43.

"I was cut off from the world. There was no one to confuse or torment me, and I was forced to become original." - Franz Joseph Haydn 1732 - 1809

#23 nicholasyeo

nicholasyeo

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 1,745 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 16 February 2012 - 17:01

Good to know that a pen I like has an option to use converters... :thumbup:

#24 impossiblebird

impossiblebird

Everything stops for tea

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 788 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 16 February 2012 - 19:52

That Regal converter looks exactly like the Monteverde, or am I mistaken?

I think it probably is the same generic converter. It fits only my new Sport; not, as I said, the AL Sport, and not an older, slightly heavier, metallic-finish plastic Sport which actually seems to have the same nib and feed as the one which screws out of the AL Sport section, though it won't screw out of the older plastic one. It has that same smaller nipple.

Funny you should mention Diplomat; I bought a Kaweco "deluxe" converter, which fits models Student, Dia, Dia2, Allrounder Elite and Special. It's a nice snug fit on the Al Sport nipple, which was of small confort because, of course, the pen's barrel's too short; I was curious to see whether there was any possiblity of shortening the converter enough to make it fit, but it's far too long. Point being, this Kaweco converter does fit a Diplomat Excellence pen which I couldn't get any standard converter to fit, despite all the advice I've had to the contrary. I'd pinched the Diplomat converter, and shortened it, to put into a Sigma pen I'd been in a hurry to use...

The Kaweco converter also fits the new-ish (and already discontinued) Platignum No.2. Now, who was it wanted to know that?... The issue with the Diplomat and Platignum wasn't down to the nipple size per se, I think, more to do with some obstruction in the section to the metal collar on the converter.

The difference in nipple sizes has to be blinkin' tiny for all these observations to be correct. Most frustrating. And, of course, with the Al Sport you don't have the option of using it an eyedropper. I even wondered whether the threads would allow me to screw the Sport section into the Al Sport body, but no dice!
:blink:

#25 kaissa

kaissa

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 460 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 19 February 2012 - 10:08

+1. I have more ink this way compared to a small converter.
Verba volant, littera scripta manet.

#26 jonwat

jonwat

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 220 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 21 February 2012 - 09:16

+1 for me.

Has anyone ever tried to shorten a stsndard-sized converter by cutting the top? Would this work or would ink leak out of the cut end?

#27 Pinkys.Brain

Pinkys.Brain

Near Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPip
  • 34 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 21 February 2012 - 10:52

How about some "German engineering" - mod by Waldenser:

http://www.penexchan...onverter#p31492

Posted Image
Posted Image

Edited by Pinkys.Brain, 21 February 2012 - 10:54.

#28 nocralac

nocralac

Dipped Only

• Member - Silver

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 26 June 2012 - 03:58

can you stock a bunch of refilled carts without leakiness?

#29 Newjelan

Newjelan

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold & Supporter

• 1,165 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 26 June 2012 - 11:48

What about converting it to an eye dropper pen? I did it to mine yesterday, never done it before. It took about 2 minutes, including filling and seems to be working a treat.

#30 AtomicLeo

AtomicLeo

AtomicLeo

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 528 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 26 June 2012 - 15:19

I really like the look of the red Kaweco AL Sport. Reminds me of red racing car. But have not bought one because I can't convert an aluminum pen to an ED and carts are too limiting. Really wish they would come out with a converter for this pen.
Atomic Leo