Aurora Riflessi

Ipsilon

Hello to All,

This is my first review, so bear with me as I try to convey my appreciation of this new Aurora Riflessi (with my limited pen, and pen-parts vocabulary!)

I have ordered this beautiful pen to celebrate the end of chemotherapy (and victory! hurray!! :thumbup: ), so that every time I hold it, I remember how courage and patience always pay!

So, here are a few comments and photos:

I) Aurora Riflessi: which model?

I had decided for the black barrel - silver cap (as opposed to the silver barrel and cap) for this pen, as I felt the all sliver pen was a bit too flashy for my liking. The pen in the picture below is more sober (like me! :rolleyes: ): one can appreciate the fine sliver work of the cap, without being exasperated by it. As I have a thing for black pen, this model was also more suited for my personal tastes. The pen has a piston filling and hidden reservoir system. A little "window" in the barrel allows you to control the ink level.

II) Silver work

The cap of the Riflessi is made of sterling silver, beautifully embellished by a delicate geometric pattern, etched with Guilloché technique. It has the Aurora/Italy logo at its base, with a nice classic black design (reminds me of some ancient greek designs). This is a screw cap, and you can leave it on the barrel as you write, as it is very light and does not change the overall balance of the pen.

http://photos-c.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc3/hs215.snc3/22274_239742679993_639169993_4287189_7825213_n.jpg

III) Size and weight

This pen is the smallest (shortest) of my collection. It is shorter than the Aurora Talentum, or Pelikan Soverän M625, which are already quite small. It is also probably the lightest (although I have not weighted it on the balance: but it does feel really light). The size is perfect for my little hands, but the weight is a bit disappointing. It feels a bit like a toy pen, and I would have preferred a somewhat heavier pen.

IV) The Italic nib

I like a broad line. Anything smaller than an M nib is too fine for me. So, for this pen, I chose an Italic nib (hence the necessity to order it, as the pen shop did not have this kind of nib available, and I was told Aurora makes them only for special orders). Otherwise, the nib is of 18K white gold, with beautiful engravings. Unlike some other stub, or italic nibs I have, this one does not have rounded corners, and is very sharp. For someone not used to italic nibs, this may make writing slightly more difficult, as the nib has a tendency to scratch the paper if you are not careful, or twist the pen to an unsuitable angle in your hand.

http://photos-b.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc3/hs235.snc3/22274_239800214993_639169993_4287572_5806193_n.jpg

V) Writing with the pen

What a pleasure! As a left handed person, I can sometimes have difficulties with... well... difficult nibs! :blush:. Being an AboveTheLine left handed, I will more then often push on the nib, rather than pull on it, which may make writing more difficult if the paper is not perfectly smooth, or the pen does not have a generous ink flow. I have tried more than one kind of paper with the Riflessi, and they all seem to work fine. This pen may well become my favorite "letter writing" pen.

http://photos-a.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc3/hs215.snc3/22274_239754654993_639169993_4287323_741691_n.jpg

VI) Final comments

I am very satisfied with my purchase. As stated previously, the only minus is the weight of the pen: it really feels too light. But apart from that, the writing experience is great, the generous ink flow is perfect for me, my little hands are happy with the size, and the overall look is very classy.

Whenever I will write something with the Riflessi, I will remember the joy of being healthy again, and that life is beautiful!!

Yves

Edited by Ipsilon

<b>In my hands</b>: Waterman, MontBlanc, Stipula, Visconti, Graf von Faber-Castell, Pelikan, Delta, Aurora, Omas, S.T.Dupont, Montegrappa, OnLine, Parker, Pilot, Favero, and... <i>a few goose feather quills</i>.

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Ipsilon

• Silvermink

• carlc

• MYU

Top Posters In This Topic

Nice work (and a nice pen)!:thumbup:

Any dimensions?

Is that your writing in the third picture? If so wow!:notworthy1:

How about a writing sample (your 'normal' writing)?

Just excellent - you're under obligation to buy and review more pens now!

Carl

"Ask not what you can do for your country. Ask what's for lunch" Orson Welles

@carlc

Thank you for your comments!

1) The Riflessi is 127mm long (capped), and 154mm long with the cap on the barrel. It is 14mm, at its widest.

2) Yes, this is my writing on the third photo, but it was not written with the Riflessi (although the nib is perfectly suited for this "gothic littera bastarda" style). Here is a "real life" sample:

http://photos-g.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc3/hs215.snc3/22274_239841809993_639169993_4287797_744596_n.jpg

3) Would love to buy more pens and review them! I have been following the Heny Simpole thread, and just fell in love with his work. But that will have to wait for some money to magically appear in my bank account!!

Cheers!

Yves

<b>In my hands</b>: Waterman, MontBlanc, Stipula, Visconti, Graf von Faber-Castell, Pelikan, Delta, Aurora, Omas, S.T.Dupont, Montegrappa, OnLine, Parker, Pilot, Favero, and... <i>a few goose feather quills</i>.

But that will have to wait for some money to magically appear in my bank account!!

Shazam! - Did that work? - No? Oh well looks like the magic has run out at the moment....

Nice writing and the nib gives some good line variation - I like it (and can't afford it - or for that matter write legibly!)

Bravo!

Carl

"Ask not what you can do for your country. Ask what's for lunch" Orson Welles

Thanks for the introduction to this interesting Aurora Riflessi pen, Ipsilon. Great choice! I like the styling Aurora introduced with this model. The impression work done on the cap reminds me a little of the stainless steel siding of sandwich trucks or in kitchen backsplashes (an appearance that I think is rather nice):

http://www.stainlessliving.com/images/gallery-r10lg.jpg

Thank you for following up with the writing sample, which shows of the nib performance nicely. And it's good to know that Aurora does indeed have crisp italic nibs available, especially being left hand tolerant. :thumbup:

[MYU's Pen Review Corner] | "The Common Ground" -- Jeffrey Small

If I get a second Aurora (have an 88 on the way), I'll have a hard time deciding between the Optima and the Riflessi, to say nothing of the Europa or Afrika.

http://twitter.com/pawcelot

Vancouver Pen Club

Currently inked:

Montegrappa NeroUno Linea - J. Herbin Poussière de Lune //. Aurora Optima Demonstrator - Aurora Black // Varuna Rajan - Kaweco Green // TWSBI Vac 700R - Visconti Purple

If I get a second Aurora (have an 88 on the way), I'll have a hard time deciding between the Optima and the Riflessi, to say nothing of the Europa or Afrika.

They are all the same pen really, aren't they? The same shape, only with different materials?

They are all the same pen really, aren't they? The same shape, only with different materials?

I think so, yeah.

http://twitter.com/pawcelot

Vancouver Pen Club

Currently inked:

Montegrappa NeroUno Linea - J. Herbin Poussière de Lune //. Aurora Optima Demonstrator - Aurora Black // Varuna Rajan - Kaweco Green // TWSBI Vac 700R - Visconti Purple

Ipsilon, many thanks for the review of this pen. I've been looking at the all-sterling model for over a year (Nothing! is too flashy for me) but cost is an object. Like MYU, I've admired the pattern of the metal.

You mention it being a bit too light for you. Are the cap and barrel of similar weight, or is one heavier than the other? I'm wondering if the all metal model would be heavier or lighter than your pen.

Above all, congratulations on being in good health.

All the best,

Joe

@CRB:

The cap and barrel are roughly the same weight (by hand), so it is possible that the all metal model would be heavier. But the sheet of silver covering the cap is very thin, so I'm not sure it would add a lot more weight. I remember having the same impression while trying the all gold version in the store, though I could not compare directly with the metal cap version as they did not have it.

I have been using it for a couple of days now, and.... well, I'm getting used to the lightness! :thumbup:

Still happy with it!

Y