Siliconing a Plat Preppy pen Q/Eyedropper pens in general...

Crim

Currently I'm unable to get O-Rings without having to buy them in mass (300), Jet Pens is out of stock as well. If I can find silicone grease, would that be enough to seal it? Would I have to grease it every time I change inks or something? I'm not really sure how that stuff works, but I'd imagine it being wiped off a bit every time you unscrewed the barrel and such.

Also, with Eyedropper pens, is it bad if you have it filled less than 1/3 of the way or what? Because I like to run my pens dry... and I'd wanna run a pen dry so that I can change the color of the ink. I'm just worried that it might either become very wet or very dry if there's not a lot of ink in there...

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Crim

• Strang

• Orval

• rdh

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't know what to do about the rings, but I'm sure jetpens would have them in due time. No reason to spend 300 dollars on a bulk order of rings... it would take lifetimes to use them all. However, I do know why you should have the pen filled more than 1/3 full. This is because of the air in the reservoir will expand in your hand, forcing ink out and possibly resulting in an inky mess.

The heart has its reasons which reason knows nothing of.

Blaise Pascal

fpn_1336709688__pen_01.jpg

Tell me about any of your new pens and help with fountain pen quality control research!

I use a Lamy Vista without any problems. It did "sweat" a little ink once, but not through the silicone wax, but through the silicone aquarium sealant at the bottom of the barrel (the Vista barrel has air vents that need to be sealed). Turned out the sealant hadn't spread wide enough into those vents. Works fine now. But again, the wax was tight as could be.

Edited by JMX

Pelikan 140 OB

Pelikan M605 blue F

Pelikan M200 transparent (Demonstrator Japan) M

Pelikan Level 65 yellow M

Pelikan Level 65 red B  

Pelikan Go! black/magenta M

Pelikan Go! black/petrol M

Pelikan M70/Go! (C/C) magenta B

Pelikan Steno red (70s)

Lamy Safari charcoal 1.5 mm italic

Lamy Safari yellow EF

Lamy Vista Eyedropper 1.9 mm italic

Reform P 120

2x Reform 1745

Get yourself some silicone grease from Pendemonium (no affiliation) and grease the threads. I regrease every second fill. But, if you seriously only want to fill the pen one third, it's going to burp ink as mentioned - when the heat from your hand warms up the celluloid and the air inside expands. Once you get some experience with EDs, you will get to know when to expect the burp and can catch it in a tissue and carry on. It's part of the charm of EDs. But so is filling the tank all the way so that you have tons of ink when you need it. YMMV.

"if you seriously only want to fill the pen one third, it's going to burp ink as mentioned - when the heat from your hand warms up the celluloid and the air inside expands."

This is not a general rule. In my experence (+/- 15 years with the Récife Crystal ED) I never had this problem and I write until dry (several weeks :) ). I guess that the reason is the more elaborated feed of the Récife Crystal, wich was designed as an eyedropper and not converted to one. Neither do I remember to have read in the reviews of the better Japanese ED pens as Danitrio Densho a.o. that the blurping problem occured there. Maybe the myth of the blurping eyedroppers comes from converting mostly cheap pens with simple feeds wich were designed just for cartridges and from cheap Indian imitations.

Orval

Orval

Most hardware stores carry O-rings and silicone grease. The big box stores like Home Depot and Lowe's may have them, but you really want a store that sells individual screws and washers. An advance call to a neighborhood hardware store will let you know if they stock them. They should only cost a few cents each. Bring the pen along and find one that gives you a snug fit.

Dave

I don't know what to do about the rings, but I'm sure jetpens would have them in due time. No reason to spend 300 dollars on a bulk order of rings... it would take lifetimes to use them all. However, I do know why you should have the pen filled more than 1/3 full. This is because of the air in the reservoir will expand in your hand, forcing ink out and possibly resulting in an inky mess.

Errr, sorry I wasn't clear. I'd have to buy 300 of them, which would be around 350 RMB. Or maybe I have to buy 350 for 300 RMB. The only reason I could see myself buying that many would be to resell them or something. As for the 1/3 full, I understand what the problem is, but I'm just wondering how big of a problem it might be. If I'm literally dripping out ink then it's something I may wanna avoid. However, if it just writes really wet, I can live with that. I guess I'll try to run my current ED pen empty (the one provided with Heart of Darkness).

Most hardware stores carry O-rings and silicone grease. The big box stores like Home Depot and Lowe's may have them, but you really want a store that sells individual screws and washers. An advance call to a neighborhood hardware store will let you know if they stock them. They should only cost a few cents each. Bring the pen along and find one that gives you a snug fit.

Dave

I don't live in the US right now. Unfortunately, there isn't a general hardware store where I live. There are "markets" that cater to those kinds of goods, but generally every shop has the same thing and usually they don't have any specialty stuff. If it's not something the common person would use, there's a good chance that it won't be there. And in the case with O-Rings, I can't imagine the specific size and such being something the general masses would need... however I could always give it a try, but I'm pretty doubtful that I'll find anything.

Another quick Q. No silicon grease will result in ink coming out? So I shouldn't even try that, right?

Try it with just the silicon grease - it might work just fine; you'll know fairly quickly. You can buy the "O"rings from any number of fp vendors. buy the standard "O"rings for Sheaffer Snorkels - they work perfectly. Go to www.penhero.com and click on the Pen Bookmarks menu. The look for the repair section.

May we live, not by our fears but by our hopes; not by our words but by our deeds; not by our disappointments but by our dreams.