Stipula Passaporto

Dan Carmell

I like Stipula pens--I've owned a wide range of their models, from the Etruria to the original 22. So when someone here pointed to the new Passaporto, I immediately ordered it, in the clear transparent and with the medium italic nib. Got it yesterday and filled it as an eyedropper, using a bit of silicone grease on the threads, something I do with all modern and most vintage EDs.

The pen is cute, a little smaller than I had imagined. The band is nicely done and the sterling leaf does prevent this clipless pen from rolling. I'm not really a demo pen lover, but I couldn't resist the idea of seeing a big pool of ink in this little pen. I suspect the blue transparent is probably looks a little better--because the pen is relatively unadorned, it may look a little cheapo to some, more like a Platinum Preppy than a Supremo Nuda, so to speak!

The steel italic nib is a little rough on my pen and appears not to have any tipping material. I think it will be fine and at worst I'll send it out to get smoothed. But I know a lot of FPNers don't like a rough nib and those folks wouldn't be happy with this nib at all. it may very well be my bad luck with this pen only--I don't want to condemn all the italic nibs for the Passaporto! Another problem is a bit more serious--there is absolutely no ink delivery from from the body to the nib. I primed it with a dip in the bottle, but once that ran out, no more ink has been delivered to the ink. When I get home tonight, I'll flush the nib and that will likely solve the problem--I hope.

Nonetheless, I think Stipula proves yet again with this little pen that they are willing to try new concepts and that's important in the current pen market, I think. It's a neat little pen at a reasonable price point.

Dan

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Dan Carmell

• gteague

• orangeaurora

• mickthepope

I ordered one right away, too! Mine arrived Tuesday -- black with F nib. I dipped the pen to test the nib. LOVED it. So I used the eyedropper to fill the pen with Noodler's Zhivago.

I like this pen very much. I want to figure out how to "wear" the pen, in case I don't have pockets; I'm thinking some kind of jerry-rigged watchband.

I love the Stipula steel nibs, and the Passaporto is a very sweet little pen!

etherX in To Miasto

Fleekair <--French accent.

Thanks for this review. I really like the look of the pen and I love Stipula's steel nibs. I'm trying to decide between the blue and the black. Maybe both? Regardless, I will be using the eyedropper so I can fill directly from a Noodler's bottle.

Ethernautrix, what is the finish like on the black Passaporto? Is it the glossy kind like the onyx Vedo or something different? Just curious.

"Instant gratification takes too long."-Carrie Fisher

Ethernautrix, what is the finish like on the black Passaporto? Is it the glossy kind like the onyx Vedo or something different? Just curious.

They definitely look like they come from the same family. Immediate family.

The Vedo, though, feels just a skosh softer. It's hard to describe. It's a very, very, very subtle difference, and maybe it's my imagination, but the Vedo's cap has always felt slightly different from your usual pen plastic. Okay, just thought of it: recycled car tire. But it's very, very, very subtle.

The Vedo and the Passaporto, though, are so cute together! I'll have to take a picture. Maybe later today.

etherX in To Miasto

Fleekair <--French accent.

They definitely look like they come from the same family. Immediate family.

The Vedo, though, feels just a skosh softer. It's hard to describe. It's a very, very, very subtle difference, and maybe it's my imagination, but the Vedo's cap has always felt slightly different from your usual pen plastic. Okay, just thought of it: recycled car tire. But it's very, very, very subtle.

The Vedo and the Passaporto, though, are so cute together! I'll have to take a picture. Maybe later today.

I think I know what you mean about the feel of the Vedo's plastic. The info is much appreciated and I would love to see a pic of the two pens together.

"Instant gratification takes too long."-Carrie Fisher

+1 on the photo of the Passaporto & Vedo together!

...writing only requires focus, and something to write on. —John August

...and a pen that's comfortable in the hand.—moi

• 4 weeks later...
<Del> Another problem is a bit more serious--there is absolutely no ink delivery from from the body to the nib. I primed it with a dip in the bottle, but once that ran out, no more ink has been delivered to the ink. When I get home tonight, I'll flush the nib and that will likely solve the problem--I hope. <del> Dan

hi dan. if you're still monitoring this post, i wonder if the pen is writing ok for you now. evidently most places have sold out or are awaiting their first shipments and i've got one on order that should come arrive in the next couple of weeks. thanks.

/guy

Magic is an individual action, undertaken because the cosmos is not believed to be benevolent by nature. ~Maya Deren (The Living Gods of Haiti, London, 1953)

Magic is a craft. when we do magic, we do not wish and we do not pray. We rely upon our will and our knowledge and our skill.~Lev Grossman (The Magicians)

Guy, good question and I should have updated this sooner! The ink flow and nib are now both great. I think the ink flow was poor due to the usual residues from the production process. A simple flush and it is now great. As for the nib, I don't think that there was anything wrong with it at all. Rather, I think I may have been having problems handling the pen because of its size and shape. In any case, the nib is great--the line variation is wonderful and it's very smooth.

I still think that this steel italic nib is untipped (i.e., has no "iridium" tipping material) but there's a long history of untipped steel italics and what's important is how well shaped and ground they are--and this nib is very good on both counts. I've attached a photo of some writing from the Passaporto. Sorry for the yellowy tone--it's very foggy here this morning and so I'm relying on my desk lamp. The paper is cream-colored and the ink is brown--I think Noodler's Brown but I can't remember, even though I just filled it 10 days or so ago!

best, Dan

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v255/dcarmell/IMG_0355.jpg

I have one of these pens with the Medium Italic nib on order and am SO eager to receive it now that I've seen your writing sample! I'm getting the blue one.

many thanks for your response dan. very helpful. and the writing sample is very impressive indeed!

and orangeaurora, i too have the blue italic model on order. perhaps we can post our impressions here when we receive our pens.

thanks,

/guy

Magic is an individual action, undertaken because the cosmos is not believed to be benevolent by nature. ~Maya Deren (The Living Gods of Haiti, London, 1953)

Magic is a craft. when we do magic, we do not wish and we do not pray. We rely upon our will and our knowledge and our skill.~Lev Grossman (The Magicians)

I would love to see pictures of the various pens in all of the finishes (thanks for the pic of the italic, Dan).

the Danitrio Fellowship

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v255/dcarmell/IMG_0357.jpg

I forgot to add this photo earlier today. That little pool of ink (actually, little pen, not so little ink pool!) is neat, isn't it?

I am thinking about going back for another, this time the blue transparent with a fine nib. Other than my Pilot M-90, I don't carry any pens in my front pants pockets, but I think one of these could be safely carried there and then I'd have a pen everywhere. I could see it becoming as much a part of my everyday nonwork kit as my pocket knife!

Dan

P.S. I see FPH has an exclusive LE Passoporto arriving in February--a demo with green speckles. Not my style but it's only a few dollars more.

Edited by Dan Carmell

great photo dan--tks for posting that. you're amp'ing up my anticipation level!

this is eyedropper only, right? no cartridge, no converter? i have some silicon grease meant for knives, guns, and flashlights so i hope it will work with the plastic threads. is there an 'o' ring?

/guy

it can take carts, just not a converter! No O ring, but it is well threaded and even without silicon grease, the risk is likely minimal. I just feel that the silicon makes for a practically ink proof seal.

Make sure it is pure silicon grease, as I understand that the additives in some silicon grease mixtures can eat away at plastics.

Dan

it can take carts, just not a converter! No O ring, but it is well threaded and even without silicon grease, the risk is likely minimal. I just feel that the silicon makes for a practically ink proof seal.

Make sure it is pure silicon grease, as I understand that the additives in some silicon grease mixtures can eat away at plastics.

Dan

tks for the info and the caveat on the grease, dan. i think carts would be a waste in this pen anyway and i do plan to bottle feed it.

/guy

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v255/dcarmell/IMG_0357.jpg

I forgot to add this photo earlier today. That little pool of ink (actually, little pen, not so little ink pool!) is neat, isn't it?

I am thinking about going back for another, this time the blue transparent with a fine nib. Other than my Pilot M-90, I don't carry any pens in my front pants pockets, but I think one of these could be safely carried there and then I'd have a pen everywhere. I could see it becoming as much a part of my everyday nonwork kit as my pocket knife!

Dan

P.S. I see FPH has an exclusive LE Passoporto arriving in February--a demo with green speckles. Not my style but it's only a few dollars more.

OOOOH! I am going to have to check the green speckeled Passoporto out!

And I will definitely post some comments about my blue Passoporto when it comes.

IT CAME TODAY!

I found the box from Fountain Pen Hospital sitting on my front step, after I passed the UPS truck where it was stopped at the end of my street. I was surprised that such a small pen came in such a large shipping box, but when I opened the box, I found both a 2010 calendar and a catalog from Fountain Pen Hospital. The red Stipula box was sandwiched between them, surrounded by packing peanuts. The Stipula box came inside a red cardboard sleeve, and it is the nicest box that any of my pens has come in: seven inches long, four inches wide, and just over two inches high, with the Stipula logo in gold on the top of the box. I opened the top of the box and found the tiny blue gem of a fountain pen nestled under a ribbon on a putty-colored bed of suede-like fabric. The inside top of the box is lined with this fabric also, so the pen was well protected. The right side of the box drops down to reveal a loop of red ribbon. Pulling on the ribbon causes a drawer to slide out from the side of the box. Inside the drawer is the eyedropper, one blue international cartridge, and the warranty booklet.

The design of the pen is simple, understated, and beautiful. At three and a half inches long, the Passaporto is the smallest of my mini pens (the others being a Laban Expression and a Kaweco Sport), but the slightly larger girth makes the pen fit my hand very comfortably. There are threads on the end of the pen so that the cap screws on when it is posted. I popped a cartridge in the pen right away because I had to try the Medium Italic nib out immdeiately and couldn't wait long enough to choose a bottled ink (so many colors!). It took a bit of scribbling to get the ink to flow, but once it did -- OH! How nice this nib is! There's a bit of feedback, but I find it a pleasure to write with. It's called a Medium Italic, but the line is finer than my .8 mm Online Swing Calligraphy Pen nib.

Ordered it on a whim, and I am very happy with this pen!

thanks for the first impressions of this pen orangeaurora. amazing that it's smaller than the kaweco! hopefully mine will be shipping soon and the silicon grease i ordered to help seal up the threads to prepare it for eyedropper use is on the way now but, like you, i'll most likely try it with the cartridge first.

i have never used an italic nib--do you find you have to write slower and more deliberately or can you write at near-normal speed?

/guy

Guy,

I think this italic nib is fine enough that you will be able to write at normal speed. I tend to write fast, and when I was trying out the pen yesterday, I didn't notice myself slowing down very much at all. The real test will be when I use it for a lengthy piece of writing, such as a letter. I have used other italic nib pens for letter writing and really haven't felt that they've slowed me down.

Hope your pen comes soon. It is definitely worth the wait!