Pilot Cavalier or Prera? <F> nib

Arts11

Until this last weekend, it had been awhile since I last wrote with a fountain pen [sacrilege, I know :D ], but I am hooked on them once again. Despite trying out a number of different writing instruments [pencils, brush pens, gel pens, etc.] in the interim, there's still just nothing like the smoothness and feel of writing with a good nib. Anyway, combing through my small stash of pens, I realized that I had started off w/ really cheap beginner pens and then just essentially skipped straight to more expensive ($100+) pens without having really tried anything in between. I love my more expensive pens, but I have to admit, I was (and still am) very cautious/scared about taking them out with me in case something happens to them. On the other hand, I don't feel that level of caution with my cheap pens, but they lack that sort of "stateliness" that I've come to appreciate. So, to fill that void, I started to look at some mid-range pens that I felt possessed a certain amount of "stateliness" without making me feel I should be overly concerned with using it when I'm out and about. After some searching, I've narrowed my choices to either the Pilot Cavalier or the Pilot Prera, but I need all of y'all's advice to help me decide which one to choose.

At Jetpens (no affiliation), they're approximately the same price (the Cav's slightly more expensive $45 to $40 for the Prera), so I'm probably going to buy from them [plus free shipping], unless anyone knows of somewhere cheaper. Anyway, since I like both of their designs, I'm mainly looking at performance and quality. Namely:

1.) Which pen writes smoother? (Using <F> nib mainly on regular notebook paper and computer paper)

2.) Which pen writes finer/bolder? (anyone have some writing samples?)

3.) Which pen feels better (more comfortable) when writing with it?

4.) Which pen has more value (ie- you would still buy it if it was more expensive just b/c you feel it's worth it)?

Also, general question, as I couldn't find any measurements posted, but which pen is longer/wider/heavier? and can anyone provide approximate specs for them?

Thanks for the help!

Edited by Arts11

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Arts11

• churl

• farseer911

• kirianth

I own both and prefer the Prera. It is a wider pen, and more comfortable in my hands. I find it easier to write with due to its size. I conciser the Cavalier more of a stick in the day-planner pen, due to it;s slim size.

1.) Which pen writes smoother? (Using <F> nib mainly on regular notebook paper and computer paper)

They both wrote smooth with a fine nib. I find mine write very well using noodlers X-feather and Heart of Darkness, on most papers.

I noticed no line variations between the two nibs, in both M and F.

For me it is the Prera, and it is a notice looking pen also. I find it easier to write with for longer periods of time.

4.) Which pen has more value (ie- you would still buy it if it was more expensive just b/c you feel it's worth it)?

If the Prera was more expensive I would buy an Erino or a Lucina.

I love the pen enough to have several of them for my daily pens at work. But I think most of the satisfaction you will have with this pen is when the proper ink is paired with it for your use.

Have fun

A gentleman is one who puts more into the world than he takes out.

http://clipart.usscouts.org/library/BSA_Character_Counts/thumbnails/cub_scouts_char_counts_co.giffpn_1364474496__woundedwarriorlogo03.jpg

I own both as well and find a slight preference for the Prera. The Cavalier is slimer but longer and heavier so it depends on which you prefer: length and weight or lighter and wider. :)

I found the Prera to be ever so slightly smoother but I think that is because of the difference in width and weight more than anything else.

Again, the prera seems to have a slightly bolder line but not so much that it is a noticable difference unless you set them side by side.

The Prera is lighter but shorter so it depends on what is comfortable for you. Some find the Prera too short but others find the Cavs too slim.

The Cav looks and feels like a more impressive and expensive pen with its weight and finish but I find myself using the Prera more often.

Hope this helps!

Long live the Empire!

http://clipart.usscouts.org/library/BSA_Character_Counts/thumbnails/cub_scouts_char_counts_co.giffpn_1364474496__woundedwarriorlogo03.jpg

The Ecrino looks nice. It reminds me of the Lucina. Is the Ecrino a discontinued model? I've never heard of it before.

Also, are there any other pens that look similar to the Sailor Sapporo [like flat capped and flat bottomed)? I like pens like that.

The Ecrino looks nice. It reminds me of the Lucina. Is the Ecrino a discontinued model? I've never heard of it before.

I think it is a discontinued model although I see them for sale here and there. I did a short review of one here. It's a nice, smallish pen with a great nib, although not particularly distinctive in appearance. Writes great though!

Doug

Does anyone have a writing sample comparing the Prera's <F> and <M> nib? Also, I've been looking through JetPens some more, and I noticed the Pilot Young Rex. Any opinions on the pen?

I happen to have a Blue Ecrino with a juicy Medium nib that I was thinking about selling. If you are interested shoot me an email. I'll let go of it for a bargain price. :)

Equal Opportunity Ink and Fountain Pen User.

My blog: The Dizzy Pen

So I read that the Prera and 78G [not to mention the Knight] are able to share/swap nibs. Does that mean they're the exact same? Outside of style, is there really any difference with the writing experience then? I have a couple different sized 78Gs, but they're sorta inconsistent in their quality. I have one <F> nibbed 78G that is great to write with, but the rest exhibit varying levels of scratchiness, while the <M> nibbed ones skip a lot. That makes me a little bit worried about getting a Prera, unless they just upped the quality control or something.

Several Pilot pens share the same nib/feed. I have been switching nibs between the 78G, Prera, and Plumix (and presumably Penmanship as well). I don't own a Knight, but if it looks similar then I'd guess it's in the same family.

I've got 3 Preras and the Pilot F is practically needle point. I can't use it for regular writing. The Pilot M is Western F equivalent (except for the VP nibs, where M is the same as Western M). I haven't noticed any QC difference between the 78G and Prera nibs, but Plumix nibs seem to vary a fair amount. I've found all my Pilot nibs in this group to be solid writers, start well, and smooth for the line width. I've never had a Pilot with skipping problems, so it might be an ink issue, or the pen might need a good flush.

If you're looking for Prera F, I think that jstationery.com might be a little cheaper. I have both from both them and jetpens, and happy with both.

Several Pilot pens share the same nib/feed. I have been switching nibs between the 78G, Prera, and Plumix (and presumably Penmanship as well). I don't own a Knight, but if it looks similar then I'd guess it's in the same family.

I've got 3 Preras and the Pilot F is practically needle point. I can't use it for regular writing. The Pilot M is Western F equivalent (except for the VP nibs, where M is the same as Western M). I haven't noticed any QC difference between the 78G and Prera nibs, but Plumix nibs seem to vary a fair amount. I've found all my Pilot nibs in this group to be solid writers, start well, and smooth for the line width. I've never had a Pilot with skipping problems, so it might be an ink issue, or the pen might need a good flush.

If you're looking for Prera F, I think that jstationery.com might be a little cheaper. I have both from both them and jetpens, and happy with both.

Interesting, and thanks for the tip. Also, I'm wondering if anyone has a writing sample comparing the Prera's <F> and <M> line widths, or an actual measurement for the line widths? I have a Pilot Hi-Tec-C gel pen with 0.4mm tip and I like that size.

Also, shot in the dark, but are there any news of any new Pilot pens in the same price/category range coming out soon, or any more new colors for the Prera coming out? I would love a true black Prera [the dark brown just doesn't look black enough for me], but barring that, I think I'm leaning towards the true white model.

Edited by Arts11

Interesting, and thanks for the tip. Also, I'm wondering if anyone has a writing sample comparing the Prera's <F> and <M> line widths, or an actual measurement for the line widths? I have a Pilot Hi-Tec-C gel pen with 0.4mm tip and I like that size.

If you like the 0.4mm, you'd probably like the Pilot F line. I've got a writing sample of my 78G Fine. Nothing for the Prera M though.

The new cheapie

(just don't pay attention to anything I've written. It's literally the first thing I write with a new pen)

I used to have two Cavaliers in <F> and <M> along with my Prera <F>, but I sold them because they felt too squishy and fat to me. So, use that to calibrate my responses.

The Cavalier feels smoother. But I like a just little feedback for control, since I like writing small. The Prera is very smooth for its fineness.

Comparing Cavalier <F> to Prera <F>, the Cavalier is wetter and fatter. The Prera tends to lay a dry line. It will skip sometimes on some papers, but as a consequence, rarely ever bleeds :) I don't have a Prera <M>, but I do have a comparison of the Prera <F> with the Hi Tec C gel pen widths.

I found the Cavalier a touch too heavy and not as well balanced, especially posted. The Prera is short, but fills its space and is lighter. My biggest gripe with the Prera is that the posted cap hits right where the pen rests in the webbing between my thumb and forefinger. But I've gotten used to it. The barrel width is wider than the Cavalier... I found that the skinny heavy pen is harder to control for writing. But I write small.

Since I sold my Cavaliers, I'd get another Prera. :) I'm thinking of getting one with nib I don't care for, and switching in the EF from the Penmanship.

I buy regularly from JetPens, but got my Prera from JStationery... they're slightly cheaper, and had the <F> in stock at the time.

I used to have two Cavaliers in <F> and <M> along with my Prera <F>, but I sold them because they felt too squishy and fat to me. So, use that to calibrate my responses.

The Cavalier feels smoother. But I like a just little feedback for control, since I like writing small. The Prera is very smooth for its fineness.

Comparing Cavalier <F> to Prera <F>, the Cavalier is wetter and fatter. The Prera tends to lay a dry line. It will skip sometimes on some papers, but as a consequence, rarely ever bleeds :) I don't have a Prera <M>, but I do have a comparison of the Prera <F> with the Hi Tec C gel pen widths.

I found the Cavalier a touch too heavy and not as well balanced, especially posted. The Prera is short, but fills its space and is lighter. My biggest gripe with the Prera is that the posted cap hits right where the pen rests in the webbing between my thumb and forefinger. But I've gotten used to it. The barrel width is wider than the Cavalier... I found that the skinny heavy pen is harder to control for writing. But I write small.

Since I sold my Cavaliers, I'd get another Prera. :) I'm thinking of getting one with nib I don't care for, and switching in the EF from the Penmanship.

I buy regularly from JetPens, but got my Prera from JStationery... they're slightly cheaper, and had the <F> in stock at the time.

Thanks for your evaluation, especially about the weight and balance when writing. I also write small and I have a similar problem w/ my Safari's in that they are a bit too long and unbalanced when posted. I think I've pretty much been swayed to the Prera, but the dryness of the <F> is concerning on some level. Like I mentioned before, I have a couple <F> 78Gs, but only one of them is really smooth (and on the wetter side); the others are dry and tend to skip. Still, I don't want to go too wide, but I have to see how bold of a line the <M> nib makes first before I decide.

Thanks for your evaluation, especially about the weight and balance when writing. I also write small and I have a similar problem w/ my Safari's in that they are a bit too long and unbalanced when posted. I think I've pretty much been swayed to the Prera, but the dryness of the <F> is concerning on some level. Like I mentioned before, I have a couple <F> 78Gs, but only one of them is really smooth (and on the wetter side); the others are dry and tend to skip. Still, I don't want to go too wide, but I have to see how bold of a line the <M> nib makes first before I decide.

Noodlers HOD and eel black flow very well in my Prera F and XF. I also have no problem running Fox red or Hell-bender red. Polar blue rund a bit on the dry side. J herbin inks run on the wet side most of the time. But your mileage may vary...

Hey guys, thanks to a bunch of your suggestions, I decided to go with a Pilot Prera <F> in basic White, which I just received today. It's nib is smooth out of the box with just enough feedback to allow me to be accurate [i've found that if the pen is too wet, I have a hard time trying to control it, especially since I write small].

However, I have some sad news to report: I stupidly applied a dab of acetone to the barrel to try and remove the sticker gunk [i've never encountered a fountain pen sticker that was that caked on and left such hard residue], and now the finish is damaged in that spot. It's not horrible, there's no discoloration, but when you feel it, it's rougher/dry and it's matte when you try reflecting light off it. I was planning on using the Prera as my workhorse anyway, so I was expecting it to get bumped around a bit, but I'm still saddened to see it's gotten its first nicks almost immediately out of the box. :o

Anyway, my first impressions are good, and who knows, maybe if they come out with some more new colors [i so want a true black or true red], I'll get another.

However, I have some sad news to report: I stupidly applied a dab of acetone to the barrel to try and remove the sticker gunk [i've never encountered a fountain pen sticker that was that caked on and left such hard residue], and now the finish is damaged in that spot. It's not...

Most Pilots have plastic barrels that don't tolerate solvents well. Soap and water tends to remove the Pilot stickers pretty well for future reference.