Sailor ProColor 500

dcwaites

First Impressions (8/10)

I wanted to get one of these as soon as I saw on the FPN that they were available. I looked around and saw that eBay Vendor engeika had them available. After the initial rush of enthusiasm, prices have now settled down. I was able to get a Light Gray with an M nib for $41.

Appearance (9/10)

Like its more expensive siblings, the pen arrived in the normal blue Sailor box, complete with Japanese language booklet, converter and two black cartridges.

It looks like a slightly more casual pen than the 1911M. It you think of a 1911M as dressed in black business suit and tie, then the ProColor is dressed in pressed slacks and blazer.

http://lh4.ggpht.com/_g_oFvX9K3R0/SvZZj4n6AxI/AAAAAAAAAUI/vr523U7V0n0/s720/ProColorGray2.jpg

Image from engeika's eBay site

Design/Size/Weight (9/10)

The ProColor design is a simplified version of the 1911M. The parts are interchangeable, and I accidentally swapped caps with my 1911M, and wondered why they both looked odd for a minute.

Dimensions

Length uncapped : 117 mm

Length capped : 134 mm

Length Posted : 147 mm

Diameter at Section : 10 mm

Diameter Barrel : 12 mm

Weight : 12.2 g

These dimensions are identical with a 1911M, except the weight, which is 5 grams lighter in the ProColor.

The clip is a simpler, folded metal rather than stamped, design, and the ring at the end of the barrel is gone.

However, the little touches that make it a member of the 1911 family are still there. The cap screws on and there is the same soft sealing inner cap. It uses the same converter, and there is even the little o-ring that seals the barrel from leaks inside.

Overall, the pen still feels and writes like a 1911M.

Nib (10/10)

The nib is what makes a Sailor, than this pen has a true Sailor nib and feed. It is silver coloured, and stamped TIGP, for Titanium Gold Plated. It has the same type and design of tipping that is found on a 1911M. And, just like a 1911M, it wrote immediately and flawlessly out of the box.

http://lh6.ggpht.com/_g_oFvX9K3R0/SvZZnA9nfBI/AAAAAAAAAUM/mJejiEkfis4/s640/ProcolorNib.jpg

Image from engeika's eBay site

On reading some of the other posts in the FPN about this nib, I am reminded that even though it is labelled TIGP, it is really Rhodium Plated Stainless Steel. Doesn't matter, though. Still writes like a dream.

Filling System (8/10)

The ProColor has the same Cartridge/Converter system as its more expensive siblings. It takes the same cartridges and the same converter. They are the proprietary Sailor design, with the relatively high capacity and the wide mouth.

Cost and Value (9/10)

RRP for these pens is US$90. I was able to get mine from engeika for $41, compared to the $67 I bought my 1911M Transparent from him a year ago. For that price, the value is unbeatable. You get the full Sailor writing experience for the price of a Parker Frontier in Stainless Steel.

Conclusion (88/100)

The Sailor ProColor 500 is just like a real 1911M, only cheaper. The parts are identical in size with each other, and interchangeable. However while still being built to Sailor’s high standards, they are less expensive to manufacture than the 1911M, and this saving flows through to the buyer.

I recently lost my Hero 100 ‘Flighter’, and will have to replace it. These are currently going for about $40. For the same money I can get a ProColor 500 with an F nib. I know where my money is going.

Edited by dcwaites

fpn_1412827311__pg_d_104def64.gif

“Them as can do has to do for them as can’t.

And someone has to speak up for them as has no voices.”

Granny Aching

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• dcwaites

• adallak

• Nikhil

• Bluefinntuna

nice pen :) thanks for the review

Pens are like watches , once you start a collection, you can hardly go back. And pens like all fine luxury items do improve with time

Thanks for sharing your experience with the pen. It looks like Sailor has come out with a strong offering in this price category.

I'm definitely interested in picking up one of these but unfortunately none of the colours it's available in appeal to me. I might be able to convince myself that I could live with the beige (which is how most retailers more accurately identify the colour of the pen reviewed here) but I'm hoping Sailor brings out more colours at some point. Sailor seems to be on a feminine colour kick (to my eyes anyway) what with these pens and the recent pastel Sapporos.

I love mine! Made a little more for it at Art Brown, filled it with Aurora Black, and writes with little tooth, just enough, on very low quality paper. When I write on computer paper, I never want to stop! Will publish my own review soon, and will be similar to yours, except mine will be worse. Thanks for doing an excellent job!

A Proud 14 Year Old Fountain Pen User!

What I want:[/color]

Aurora Talentum

Pilot Custom 823 Amber Bought on 4.1.10

Lamy 2000

Omas Paragon

Sailor Realo

Thanks for doing this excellent review. Now I really need to get one of these in violet!

Wish list: Aurora Optima

Current inked Pens: Pilot Decimo - Noodlers BBH, MB Mozart - MB Lavender

Pelikan M150 - Noodlers Kung te Cheng

Thanks for writing this review -- I've been hoping someone would post one. Although it is a very informative review, I do have a question. Is the line from the M nib more like a Western fine or a Western medium?

I've been on a quest to see if I could commit all Seven Deadly Sins in a single day. Finally, it dawned on me I shouldn't try for the One Day Wonder Prize for all seven in one day. It's simply out of any question as you can't commit decent sloth while busily ticking the other six off your crowded "to do" list. -- ViolinWriter

Thanks for the review. Very nice to hear that the ProColor really came through. A Sailor 1911 with a few minor cosmetic differences, at a significant discount. Plus, a nice range of colors to choose from over the usual (black, red, yellow).

http://thumbnail.image.rakuten.co.jp/@0_mall/shoptate/cabinet/procolor500-090625.jpg

[MYU's Pen Review Corner] | "The Common Ground" -- Jeffrey Small

Might have to snag a purple one of these. God knows I'll buy another purple pen with the slightest provocation.

http://twitter.com/pawcelot

Vancouver Pen Club

Currently inked:

Montegrappa NeroUno Linea - J. Herbin Poussière de Lune //. Aurora Optima Demonstrator - Aurora Black // Varuna Rajan - Kaweco Green // TWSBI Vac 700R - Visconti Purple

Thanks for writing this review -- I've been hoping someone would post one. Although it is a very informative review, I do have a question. Is the line from the M nib more like a Western fine or a Western medium?

I just compared it to my Safari fine point, which most say writes thicker then a fine, and they are fairly similar, Sailor is a little bit thicker, but very, very slim margin. I have to say mine is a Medium/Fine

A Proud 14 Year Old Fountain Pen User!

What I want:[/color]

Aurora Talentum

Pilot Custom 823 Amber Bought on 4.1.10

Lamy 2000

Omas Paragon

Sailor Realo

Looks like we have another pen to add to the Safari/Vista/Al-Star and Kultur/Phileas as recommendations for first fountain pen =). Thanks for the review and the great nib shot.

Yuki

http://i54.tinypic.com/16jj9fb.jpg

Follow me on twitter! @crypticjunky

~And the words, they're everything and nothing. I want to search for her in the offhand remarks.~

Might have to snag a purple one of these. God knows I'll buy another purple pen with the slightest provocation.

I'm like that, but about both purple and teal....

deirdre.net

"Heck we fed a thousand dollar pen to a chicken because we could." -- FarmBoy, about Pen Posse

I lost my Hero 100 'Flighter', and replacement ones are going for about $40.

I spent that $40 with engeika again, and got a green ProColor 500 with a Fine nib.

I won it last Wednesday, Taizo posted it last Friday and it arrived on my desk yesterday afternoon (Monday) (after I had gone home!).

Now, just for those who weren't paying attention, that's Japan Post Office to Australia Office desk in 4 days (with a weekend in between). (I want my dancing bunnies back....)

Anyway, I took some of my new blend Majestic Havasu to work this morning, filled the pen, and it was absolutely bloody brilliant. This is a Sailor (F)ine, (extra Fine in US/European terms) and it was blissfully smooth, and just a tad dry, making it perfect for my desk diary which bleeds with everything wetter than desert sand.

dancing bunnies : dancing bunnies : dancing bunnies : dancing bunnies : dancing bunnies

Granny Aching

Looks like we have another pen to add to the Safari/Vista/Al-Star and Kultur/Phileas as recommendations for first fountain pen =). Thanks for the review and the great nib shot.

Yuki

The photos aren't mine. They are from engeika's ebay auction. His photos are much better than I could accomplish...

Granny Aching

I'm wondering how this really differs from the 1911M, is it just the difference between gold plate/stainless steel? I've got a 1911 and it's a great writer but the body is just typical black plastic.

It's actually not purple--it's "Wisteria". ;) It reminds me of the soft grayish purple shades that were heavily used in the early Java applications, back in the 1990's. I'm very tempted to pick up one...

How are you guys getting such great prices? The last time I looked, he wanted $61.00 for this pen. Please explain!

Um, there's quite a difference between buy-it-now and auction. Engeika sells the pens both ways. Look at the history of Procolor sales by Engeika, and you'll see some rather low prices. Luck o' the draw, as they say.

I'm wondering how this really differs from the 1911M, is it just the difference between gold plate/stainless steel? I've got a 1911 and it's a great writer but the body is just typical black plastic.

From what I've heard, it's the same plastic. The 1911M might have a slightly thicker wall. And the nib is definitely an entirely different thing. These simpler Sailor nibs on the Procolor 500 are very good. The 1911 nibs are better quality, but you won't really feel that much of a difference. Stainless steel often gets pegged as an "economy" nib material, but there are some examples out there that'll best many gold nibs.

Edited by MYU

[MYU's Pen Review Corner] | "The Common Ground" -- Jeffrey Small

Thanks for the information on line width, Nikhil and dcwaites. I prefer Western XF nibs, so it sounds like the Fine might suit me. I'm not a fan of the colors, but the review and the price are causing me to seriously consider buying one.

Edited for typo

Edited by Ada

I've been on a quest to see if I could commit all Seven Deadly Sins in a single day. Finally, it dawned on me I shouldn't try for the One Day Wonder Prize for all seven in one day. It's simply out of any question as you can't commit decent sloth while busily ticking the other six off your crowded "to do" list. -- ViolinWriter