B&n Ecosystem Journals?

AlaskanWriter

Just came across these listed as new at Barnes and Noble online;

Ecosystem at Barnes & Noble

Blank, lined or grid paper, plus planners in several colors, green, black, turquoise, pink, and my favorite, a dreamy orange. :) They sound good to me, will be looking for them the next time I'm in store.

Anyone seen them or tried them? FP friendly paper?

The product blurb from this one;

Orange blank pages journal

"""Made of 100% post-consumer recycled paper, the ecosystem flexi cover journal is a great place to record your ideas, inspirations, plans, and dreams. The books are made of beautiful, smooth, bright-white, eco-friendly paper and include special touches like a back pocket, perforated pages, organic cotton bookmark, and an elastic closure. Plus, an ecosystem journal is 100% made in the USA. In the back of each book, there is an ID number that allows you to track, via ecosystemlife.com, where the components of your book were made and how to recycle them if you so choose."""

Gary.

Gary Blessing

Just another Traditional Country Boy

http://mark.intervex.net/fpn/images/LetterExchange_sm.png

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• biffybeans

• AlaskanWriter

• leicamaster

• Bill

So soon on the heels of the release of the Rhodia webnotebooks, too.

I've been using the pocket-sized cahier "essay" notebooks for a couple of weeks and just started using one of the black hard-cover A5 versions. The paper is white, not ivory, so the true colors of nice inks can be showcased. It's too early for a full review, but so far it looks like there is much less bleed-through than Moleskines. The recycled paper is more absorbant than Rhodia, yet does not seem to feather much. So far, so good.

Bill

I've been looking for a recycled/eco-friendly version of a Moleskine for a while, so I'm super excited to read about these! Thanks for the heads up!

It looks nice. But it will need the proof of the pen and the ink

Write, write, write. Use your pens not your fingers !!!

http://img244.imageshack.us/img244/5642/postcardde9.png

I am going to have to go and pick up one of these for review.

Edited by biffybeans

<span style='font-family: Georgia'><span style='font-size: 14px;'><strong class='bbc'> Stephanie "Biffybeans" Smith</strong></span><p><a href='http://www.biffybeans.com/' class='bbc_url' title='External link' rel='nofollow external'>Blog: Spiritual Evolution of the Bean</a><p><a href='http://www.etsy.com/shop/biffybeans?ref=si_shop' class='bbc_url' title='External link' rel='nofollow external'>Purchase Stephanie "Biffybeans" Smith's Original Art on Etsy</a>

I am going to have to go and pick up one of these for review.

our hero!! thx, looking forward to that review!!

Yes indeed, Definetally looking forward to that review!

I always check for a BiffyBeans blog review before getting new paper/journals..

G.

Gary Blessing

You guys are making me blush....

I went to my local B&N yesterday and they did not have these - they have a different eco line called Pistachio. 100% post consumer/soy ink/ most all were spiral bound and they were made in Canada. I'll check back later...

<span style='font-family: Georgia'><span style='font-size: 14px;'><strong class='bbc'> Stephanie "Biffybeans" Smith</strong></span><p><a href='http://www.biffybeans.com/' class='bbc_url' title='External link' rel='nofollow external'>Blog: Spiritual Evolution of the Bean</a><p><a href='http://www.etsy.com/shop/biffybeans?ref=si_shop' class='bbc_url' title='External link' rel='nofollow external'>Purchase Stephanie "Biffybeans" Smith's Original Art on Etsy</a>

I ordered some On line on Sunday. Free Shipping. Here today via UPS 3 day on the B & N dime. You might try that as a current source. Lots of colours and size choices. Jim

Not all the Barnes & Noble stores are carrying them. An employee at one of their larger stores in Grand Rapids, Michigan used the phrase "prepaid order" in explaining why they did not have them. I'm not sure what that means, besides the obvious implication that if they don't sell well they eventually could be deeply discounted because the store cannot send back unused stock. That may also explain why the original Chinese B&N Moleskine clones went away.

In the stores where I have seen them, the displays are free standing and located near the checkout area.

Bill

YES, I THINK THIS IS THE REAL MOLESKINE KILLER!

I just picked up a small flexible cover one of these and so far it's excellent. The construction seems very good and similar to the Rhodia Webnotebook (I looked closely at the hardcover, as well). I like the cover material better than the Webnotebook, and just as much as the Mole -- it's a little tacky, somewhere between the Mole and the Webnotebook. The band feels great and looks sturdy. The pocket looks sturdy but there is no cloth reinforcement in the folds. The book is essentially the same dimensions as the Mole, but between a Mole and a Webnotebook in thickness. The book lays as flat and open, like a Mole, but appears much better constructed.

The paper: The paper is 100% recycled and white. It is very, very smooth. I have tried my Lamy Safari F and Pilot Custom 74 F, both with Herbin Perl Noir, and there is no sign of feathering or bleed through (this ink, in my experience, tends to not like cheap paper, so I am impressed). I also have no real show through -- no worse than Rhodia paper. I do think the Lamy lays a slightly more consistent line on the Webnotebook than the Ecosystem, but it was a tie with the Pilot and both were quite good. The pages are lightly and tightly perforated -- they come out with careful tugging but I don't think will separate on their own -- this is a killer feature for me since it means no more sticky note refills. The lines go all the way to the edge, are spaced at around a quarter inch, and are a very thin dark gray. The paper reminds me of a Clairefontaine book I had a few years ago that was similar but 4x6.

The store had the full assortment of the soft and hardcover high page count books, with the softcover looking like Mole clones and the hardcover looking more like Webnotebook clones (thicker covers that extend further from the page edges -- same binder, maybe?). One thing that was a disappointment was the grid versions -- the spacing is half of Mole (two lines to one line of standard ruled) and too dark for a grid this tight. Other than that, these look like winners. Also, 100% sourced and manufactured in the US but only $9.00! I'm not a snob about stuff being made in America, but I am a big fan of full disclosure about environmental impact and working conditions, which we get with the Ecosystem. I did not see any of the cahiers or inserts, so can't comment on those.

I'd say that for the price and apparent quality (I'll know more after a few weeks of use, folks should not hesitate to give these a try.

Aw c'mon.... you can't call it a Mole killer with only one ink tested. ;o) And Mole's (and Webbies) have off white paper which in my opinion, are much easier on the eyes.)I also ran a poll here earlier this year and off-white was clearly the winner with about 260 people responding.) I went through a Kunst & Papier plain journal & a hardcover Clairefontaine (both bright white) & I couldn't WAIT to be done with them.

Pentalic makes a Mole-clone with the most perfect off-white paper but the cover has a rounded spine & it won't lie flat. With better attention to detail & form, it could have been a MK - except it's not USA made.

YES, I THINK THIS IS THE REAL MOLESKINE KILLER!

I actually find the Webnotebook to be too ivory. Yes, one ink test out of two pens doesn't make a good test. I was actually hoping my review would get you to do one of your super thorough tests for all of us :) . I will say that for now, I'm quite content. I am rather fickle, though, when it comes to notebooks, which is why I usually make my own.

LOL! As soon as I get my hands on one I will review. I did find them for sale at one of 3 local B&N.

I actually find the Webnotebook to be too ivory. Yes, one ink test out of two pens doesn't make a good test. I was actually hoping my review would get you to do one of your super thorough tests for all of us :) . I will say that for now, I'm quite content. I am rather fickle, though, when it comes to notebooks, which is why I usually make my own.

• 3 months later...

I just bought a pocket sized ruled softcover in orange the other day. I tried my Sapporo with Sailor Blue, my LAMY Vista with Sheaffer Skrip and my Pelikan M205 with PR American Blue. Granted all well behaved inks and none of those pens is a big gusher, but no feathering or bleed.

Yes, I bought a pair of these -- small, pocket-sized. Good (but not outstanding) paper, recycled and recyclable. Made in America. The paper is heavier in weight than most pocket notebooks (say 20 lb versus 16 lb) and writes well. But that increases the thickness by about 20 %. Almost too thick for a "pocket notebook".

All in all, a good buy and worth investigating.

Enjoy,

Yours,
Randal

From a person's actions, we may infer attitudes, beliefs, --- and values. We do not know these characteristics outright. The human dichotomies of trust and distrust, honor and duplicity, love and hate --- all depend on internal states we cannot directly experience. Isn't this what adds zest to our life?

Nice to hear it!

I'd forgotten this completely, saw the post and thought "did I post that?" Lol...

Should go see if the local store has any again..

G.

Gary Blessing