Stone Paper

OTDoc

I just discovered a new paper. I looked and did not see the paper touched on here but may have missed it. I am still not very good at searching FPN. Anyhooooo.... It is called Stone Paper. It is made by Oxford and is billed as environmentally friendly. It is supposed to save energy, trees and waste. It is made with Limestone and poypropylene. The most important thing for me is that it works very well with fountain pens. It is a little rubbery but oh so smooth. The drying time on the ink is a little longer because the ink does not soak into the paper much. Anyone else heard of this paper or tried it?

Long live the Empire!

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• OTDoc

• Chthulhu

• bluemagister

• Possum Hill

Burt's Bees uses a "paper" called TerraSkin that is made from compressed, powdered minerals but they don't make writing paper from it, only wrapping paper. It's a shame because the paper seems to have such a nice, fine tooth. However, the "powder" part makes me worry about nib clogging.

If there is a new paper that blends the minerals with a substrate that could make it a writable surface for fountain pens without the clogging issue, I'd be VERY interested in it. Thanks for the heads up!

Burt's Bees uses a "paper" called TerraSkin that is made from compressed, powdered minerals but they don't make writing paper from it, only wrapping paper. It's a shame because the paper seems to have such a nice, fine tooth. However, the "powder" part makes me worry about nib clogging.

If there is a new paper that blends the minerals with a substrate that could make it a writable surface for fountain pens without the clogging issue, I'd be VERY interested in it. Thanks for the heads up!

No problem. It is combined with polypropelyne so it is more plastic-like with no sense of powder to it. Even regular paper uses some limestone as I understand it. I bought mine at Walgreens and have searched the web for it but cannot seem to find it anywhere else.

Long live the Empire!

If this paper is widely available enough, it would be interesting to see how waterproof inks are on it. I haven't seen any, but I don't live in an area particularly good for fine stationary (can't even get moleskines locally)

I just discovered a new paper.

In cases like this where completely new materials (in this context) are used for papermaking, I would worry a bit about these issues:

1) How are nib tips worn when writing on paper made of that material, compared to known paper materials?

2) How does the material take to light over time (in particular UV light)?

3) Is a given ink as waterfast on that material as on known paper materials?

I know I may be nitpicking here, but I do think that a manufacturer should have answers ready for questions like these.

Has anyone here access to equipment that makes it possible to test my issue no. 1?

Pilot Capless Black Carbonesque - Pelikan M800 Demonstrator - Pelikan M625 blue -
Montblanc 146 platinum - Rotring 600 series 1 - Lamy Persona black - Lamy 2000 -
Waterman Edson green - Chatterley Visconti Ripple silver/clear - Visconti Homo Sapiens -
Pilot Custom 823 black - Pilot Art Craft Koushi - Nakaya Piccolo Cigar Akatame
Nakaya Portable Writer matte black urushi - Nakaya Titanium Piccolo -

Namiki Emperor red urushi
Pen photos

I just discovered a new paper.

In cases like this where completely new materials (in this context) are used for papermaking, I would worry a bit about these issues:

1) How are nib tips worn when writing on paper made of that material, compared to known paper materials?

2) How does the material take to light over time (in particular UV light)?

3) Is a given ink as waterfast on that material as on known paper materials?

I know I may be nitpicking here, but I do think that a manufacturer should have answers ready for questions like these.

Has anyone here access to equipment that makes it possible to test my issue no. 1?

Good point on number 1! I did not even think about that. That is one drawback of fountain pens I suppose: you have to worry about such things. Most paper makers assume people are using ball point or gel type pens since that represents the majority - at least in the US market.

Long live the Empire!

It would be interesting to see, feel and write on the paper.

Substituting polyethylene made from oil for wood pulp made from trees is an interesting approach to environmental issues.

Perhaps it would be a good nib tuner kind of paper. Scribble on it and refine your nib...

Fun.

Bluenotegrl

Inky fingers are a sign of genius!

http://img356.imageshack.us/img356/8703/letterminizk9.png

Check me out at bluenotegrl.blogspot.com

It says it's photodegradeable, so don't leave it in the sun. There is no cellulose, so bulletproof inks will wash right off. It absorbs no water, so dry times would be longer. There is a link for samples.

Dan

"Life is like an analogy" -Anon-

http://i98.photobucket.com/albums/l279/T-Caster/DSC_0334_2.jpg

From the linked site:

Being impervious to water it can also be very useful for outdoor applications. FiberStone® stone paper is photodegradable after a period of about 14-18 months!

Isn't fountain pen ink mostly water?

I came here for the pictures and stayed for the conversation.

Substituting polyethylene made from oil for wood pulp made from trees is an interesting approach to environmental issues.

Hmmm. Non-renewable (though I suspect polyethylene could be made as readily from plant feedstocks as from petroleum), but it does sequester carbon (into landfills) rather than burning it and feeding it into the air. I can see some issues with paper recycling if this stuff becomes common; a few sheets of this would play hob with the processing that makes new paper out of waste paper...

Edit to add: I see the product is listed as photodegradable over 14-18 months -- meaning it won't last as long as a bulletproof ink...

Edited by ZeissIkon

Does not always write loving messages.

Does not always foot up columns correctly.

Does not always sign big checks.

I am usually for anything that puts carbon into the air or releases it into the upper atmosphere, but in this case, I'd have to pause before I bought mineral paper.

The points about nib wear and bulletproof inks losing their magic power would be enough to stop me in my tracks before seeing full tests.

One has to wonder if it's really environmentally friendly, since bore holes had to be drilled in the earth for the oil to make polypropylene, thus disturbing aquifers and other natural formations, not to mention the enviromental damage just from drilling for oil. While wood paper does make for a more waste, at least it can decompose, unlike plastic which is forever. I'd also worry about nib wear and clogging.

The heart has its reasons which reason knows nothing of.

Blaise Pascal

fpn_1336709688__pen_01.jpg

Tell me about any of your new pens and help with fountain pen quality control research!

One has to wonder if it's really environmentally friendly, since bore holes had to be drilled in the earth for the oil to make polypropylene, thus disturbing aquifers and other natural formations, not to mention the enviromental damage just from drilling for oil. While wood paper does make for a more waste, at least it can decompose, unlike plastic which is forever. I'd also worry about nib wear and clogging.

Same thoughts here: there is nothing green in making paper out of oil. Is a nonsense.

Hmmm. Non-renewable (though I suspect polyethylene could be made as readily from plant feedstocks as from petroleum), but it does sequester carbon (into landfills) rather than burning it and feeding it into the air. I can see some issues with paper recycling if this stuff becomes common; a few sheets of this would play hob with the processing that makes new paper out of waste paper...

Edit to add: I see the product is listed as photodegradable over 14-18 months -- meaning it won't last as long as a bulletproof ink...

The (presumed) manufacturer's site has some different information about the stuff, but nowhere does it mention the source of the "20% HDPE resin binder."

http://www.getfiberstone.com/stone-paper-myths-truths/

Mike Hungerford

Model Zips - Google Drive

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...