6 replies to this topic

#1 randyholhut

randyholhut

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 558 posts

Posted 24 September 2009 - 00:43

I got this combo pen off this board the other day, but I have to say that I had no idea Cross made such a pen, and if they did, they didn't sell in the USA.

It's got a silver plastic main barrel and is six inches long capped. The end where the pocket clip has a red and blue BP, which you select with a twist of the section.

On the other end is a steel-nibbed fountain pen that takes cartridges only, and at the end of the rubberized barrel is a stylus.

When did Cross make this pen, was it ever sold in the U.S., and does anyone have any experiences to share with this pen?

#2 Bobby Check

Bobby Check

Bobby Check

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 847 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 24 September 2009 - 00:45

Do you have a picture?

Bobby
Why carry one pen when four will do!

Member of the Calgary Pen Club: target=_blank>http: //www.calgarypenclub.com/

#3 rsx

rsx

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 287 posts

Posted 24 September 2009 - 02:36

I got this combo pen off this board the other day, but I have to say that I had no idea Cross made such a pen, and if they did, they didn't sell in the USA.

It's got a silver plastic main barrel and is six inches long capped. The end where the pocket clip has a red and blue BP, which you select with a twist of the section.

On the other end is a steel-nibbed fountain pen that takes cartridges only, and at the end of the rubberized barrel is a stylus.

When did Cross make this pen, was it ever sold in the U.S., and does anyone have any experiences to share with this pen?

I seem to remember that this pen was available with ballpoint at one end and either fountain pen or rollerball (used the gel ion refill) at the other end. It was available for awhile, maybe 4 or 5 years ago, and I don't remember the name.
Dr. Scrawl

#4 daclark52

daclark52

Too many ink stained pockets.....

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 416 posts

Posted 24 September 2009 - 16:09

It is a Cross Matrix. It was sold in the US about four or five years ago. It had various options including fountain pen, roller ball, ball point and a stylus point. Did not sell well as far as could tell from my friends at Artlite and Fahrneys.
Respectfully,

Dick Clark

#5 dut1974

dut1974

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 72 posts

Posted 24 September 2009 - 17:52

The Cross pen you have is called the Matrix pen, Discontinued for about 5 years or so. Refills are still available from Cross's website for it though.

#6 kaissa

kaissa

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 463 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 28 September 2009 - 12:50

IIRC the retail was $90. It also has a highlighter refill with it, so pretty lot of options here. I have one, use it mostly for PDA and the gel. The gel is really sweet. Ion and Matrix use the same gel refills.

I have not inked the FP part, but have not heard any positive or negative reviews about its performance. Enjoy the pen.

Regards,
Verba volant, littera scripta manet.

#7 randyholhut

randyholhut

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 558 posts

Posted 03 October 2009 - 00:29

I am enjoying the pen, which I picked up for considerably less than the $90 MSRP that the Matrix went for when it came out.

The FP nib, a steel medium, is a perfectly decent nib to write with. The red and blue BP refills aren't quite as smooth as the full size nibs, but they'll do -- and the color-coded tips help you figure out what refill you've clicked on. I don't have a PDA, but if I did, I'd appreciate the stylus on the end of the FP.

Throw in the option of a highlighter and a gel pen, and you've got a darn versatile pen is a nicer looking package than most multipens.