#1 penspouse

penspouse

Happy Granny

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,274 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 29 August 2009 - 21:29

I have decided that in order to improve my penmanship, I need to work on spacing of my letters and consistency in size. I know how to practice that to make it better, but I don't like the way I fom some of my letters, in particular, several of my capital/uppercase letters. I need some ideas. I am looking for everyday writing. I don't need lots of flourishes or embellishments. I just want decent looking letters to get the job done. If you would be willing to post a sample of your written alphabet so I could see how you form your letters, I would be most appreciative.
Soli Deo Gloria

Shameless plug
- Some of my amateur photography.

#2 vidalia11

vidalia11

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 383 posts

Posted 30 August 2009 - 18:21

Okay. I'm not that crazy about my writing either. It's uneven and uncertain.

karen

Posted Image

#3 Ken Fraser

Ken Fraser

Calligrapher

• Member - Gold

• 3,940 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 30 August 2009 - 20:17

This is beautiful, clear handwriting which, I'm sure, will be admired by many on this forum, including me.

It's refreshing to see monoline handwriting for a change, and BTW isn't the Lamy Safari a wonderful writer?

Ken

Edited by caliken, 30 August 2009 - 20:18.

Available at :   www.kenfrasercalligrapher.com

fpn_1396100240__sig_strip_300p.jpg

#4 vidalia11

vidalia11

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 383 posts

Posted 30 August 2009 - 23:51

QUOTE (caliken @ Aug 30 2009, 01:17 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
This is beautiful, clear handwriting which, I'm sure, will be admired by many on this forum, including me.

It's refreshing to see monoline handwriting for a change, and BTW isn't the Lamy Safari a wonderful writer?

Ken

Thanks, Ken! I really recommend the Lamy Safari (or any Lamy) to someone who wants a good fountain pen that won't put you into bankruptcy.

Karen

Posted Image

#5 penspouse

penspouse

Happy Granny

• Member - Gold

• 3,274 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 31 August 2009 - 14:36

Karen,

Thanks for being brave and posting. You penmanship is beautiful. My goal is to have mine as evenly spaced and consistent as yours. You have given me some ideas for my capitals. I hope others will post as well.
Soli Deo Gloria

Shameless plug

#6 rauduong

rauduong

NOS (New Old Stock)

• Member - Gold

• PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 01 September 2009 - 05:16

Not quite as pretty as Karen/Vidalia's but I do my capital letters a little bit differently so I thought I'd post mine. I'd like to refine a few of them, like the A and the N, which never feel right because they're so pointy. Others, like the O and the S, I just choose not to write in any type of cursive because I like the way they look just fine in regular handwriting smile.gif.

scan0002.jpg

#7 penspouse

penspouse

Happy Granny

• Member - Gold

• 3,274 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 01 September 2009 - 14:44

Thank you! I'd like to change several of mine caps, but I really hate my Ms and Ns. I like your twist on the "F" and "T".
Soli Deo Gloria

Shameless plug

#8 vidalia11

vidalia11

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 383 posts

Posted 01 September 2009 - 16:59

QUOTE (rauduong @ Aug 31 2009, 10:16 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Not quite as pretty as Karen/Vidalia's but I do my capital letters a little bit differently so I thought I'd post mine. I'd like to refine a few of them, like the A and the N, which never feel right because they're so pointy. Others, like the O and the S, I just choose not to write in any type of cursive because I like the way they look just fine in regular handwriting smile.gif.

scan0002.jpg

Your writing is great. I'm going to copy your capitals T, F, K and Z!

Karen

Posted Image

#9 Inka

Inka

Beyond Reason!

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,788 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 01 September 2009 - 17:27

Don't know if this will help you much, just a quick & dirty example of my daily handwriting without using guidlines.
I know it needs work, looks much better when I actually take my time, just how I happen to write with typical mistakes and all...

“I view my fountain pens & inks as an artist might view their brushes and paints.
They flow across paper as a brush to canvas, transforming my thoughts into words and my words into art.
There is nothing else like it; the art of writing and the painting of words!”

~Inka~ [Scott]; 5 October, 2009

#10 rauduong

rauduong

NOS (New Old Stock)

• Member - Gold

• PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 01 September 2009 - 22:05

scan0004.jpg

#11 Inka

Inka

Beyond Reason!

• Member - Gold

• 1,788 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 01 September 2009 - 22:10

QUOTE (rauduong @ Sep 1 2009, 06:05 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
scan0004.jpg

Your hand writing does looks very much like mine, I'm rather amazed, like looking at a mirror image [almost].
I really like your signature, had been working on mine for decades and never really pleased with anything I'd come up with.
That I do really need to practice, perfect, then go to my bank and log it into record.

Thanks.
“I view my fountain pens & inks as an artist might view their brushes and paints.
They flow across paper as a brush to canvas, transforming my thoughts into words and my words into art.

#12 penspouse

penspouse

Happy Granny

• Member - Gold

• 3,274 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 01 September 2009 - 23:29

Thanks, Inka. Keep the good ideas coming.
Soli Deo Gloria

Shameless plug

#13 MattSense

MattSense

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 119 posts

Posted 01 September 2009 - 23:39

QUOTE (penspouse @ Sep 1 2009, 07:29 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Nothing special, I felt off tonight. I got my words from http://www.fountainp...howtopic=119066

Written with my Safari

#14 Inka

Inka

Beyond Reason!

• Member - Gold

• 1,788 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 01 September 2009 - 23:45

QUOTE (penspouse @ Sep 1 2009, 07:29 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

My pleasure to help, always!
There are some great Websites out there, penspouse, I had them all Bookmarked but since reformatting my hard drive not long ago I had to first transfer them all to a Flash-drive or a CD-ROM.
If I find them, or find the Links again, I'll try to remember to post them here so you can check them out.
There are guides you can print out, lined paper to print out on blank paper, a place to create your own lined and guideline templates to save & print, lessons in penmanship, how to sit properly and much more.
It’s amazing the resources available on the Internet these days, on just these exact things!

#15 penspouse

penspouse

Happy Granny

• Member - Gold

• 3,274 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 01 September 2009 - 23:49

Thanks, MattSense. Now how about a sample with capital letters.
Soli Deo Gloria

Shameless plug

#16 rauduong

rauduong

NOS (New Old Stock)

• Member - Gold

• PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 02 September 2009 - 02:23

scan0006.jpg

I was wondering how I would sign my name if my name were Scott and I have no idea sad.gif Let's see your signature!

#17 Inka

Inka

Beyond Reason!

• Member - Gold

• 1,788 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 02 September 2009 - 02:41

QUOTE (rauduong @ Sep 1 2009, 10:23 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
scan0006.jpg

I was wondering how I would sign my name if my name were Scott and I have no idea sad.gif Let's see your signature!

Scott is basically the same but a bit different as at the bottom of my hand-writing sample I'd posted earlier here.
It really should differ from my daily-hand, so as not to be so easy to forge just by looking at my writing style and getting lucky, for security purposes of course.
My last name is written a bit differently, not by much either.

#18 wykpenguin

wykpenguin

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 826 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 03 September 2009 - 07:57

My attempt at cursive monoline. This is not my daily script, I usually put down a illegible mix of cursive and print, but it is how I would write if I wanted to write something entirely in cursive. Not done at my "note-taking speed". I would say this is how my writing looks when I slow down to a moderate speed and will it to look legible.

Attached Images

• IMG_0918s.jpg

#19 vidalia11

vidalia11

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 383 posts

Posted 03 September 2009 - 17:16

QUOTE (wykpenguin @ Sep 3 2009, 12:57 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
My attempt at cursive monoline. This is not my daily script, I usually put down a illegible mix of cursive and print, but it is how I would write if I wanted to write something entirely in cursive. Not done at my "note-taking speed". I would say this is how my writing looks when I slow down to a moderate speed and will it to look legible.

That's nice writing!

Karen

Posted Image

#20 jbb

jbb

Museum Piece

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,037 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 04 September 2009 - 02:52

QUOTE (penspouse @ Aug 29 2009, 02:29 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I have decided that in order to improve my penmanship, I need to work on spacing of my letters and consistency in size. I know how to practice that to make it better, but I don't like the way I fom some of my letters, in particular, several of my capital/uppercase letters. I need some ideas. I am looking for everyday writing. I don't need lots of flourishes or embellishments. I just want decent looking letters to get the job done. If you would be willing to post a sample of your written alphabet so I could see how you form your letters, I would be most appreciative.

headsmack.gif Penspouse, I read the title of your post without really absorbing the content of your message. My alphabet is exactly what you're NOT looking for. unsure.gif Perhaps it just shows what a pen, ink and too much caffeine can do.

#21 kazushizuku

kazushizuku

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 91 posts

Posted 04 September 2009 - 03:03

QUOTE (jbb @ Sep 4 2009, 03:52 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
headsmack.gif Penspouse, I read the title of your post without really absorbing the content of your message. My alphabet is exactly what you're NOT looking for. unsure.gif Perhaps it just shows what a pen, ink and too much caffeine can do.

But still way cooooool, though! biggrin.gif

http://pics.livejournal.com/shuju_the_red/pic/0001f13z/s320x240   "Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most."

#22 penspouse

penspouse

Happy Granny

• Member - Gold

• 3,274 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 04 September 2009 - 03:20

QUOTE (kazushizuku @ Sep 3 2009, 08:03 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE (jbb @ Sep 4 2009, 03:52 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

But still way cooooool, though! biggrin.gif

I agree! Thanks to all who have posted. I have my grand kids here for a couple of days. If my hands are working after they leave, I'll post mine and let you suggest what I could do to change the ones I don't like.
Soli Deo Gloria

Shameless plug

#23 chud

chud

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 528 posts

Posted 04 September 2009 - 06:29

#24 Opus

Opus

Dipped Only

• Member - Gold

• Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 05 September 2009 - 02:00

QUOTE (penspouse @ Aug 29 2009, 02:29 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I've found that I could not read my writing with a fountain pen when I started to write with it. I was too use to the ballpoint pen way of writing. I found that I needed to learn to write all over again (at least that's what I felt was needed) I got some elementary hand writing books from Amazon.com that were for young children. I also bought some tracing paper for artists at my local Office Depot. I started tracing the 'cursive' letters in the books. I had to really slow down with my writing. I'm still having trouble. But my hand written pages are allot more legible and even I can read what I've written, at least most of the time, and I'm still working with the books and the vellum and the fountain pens. Just be patient. Someone else somewhere else on this site, suggested calligraphy books. I'm not sure how well that will help, but I'm going to look into it. rolleyes.gif

#25 verdiinpink

verdiinpink

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 71 posts

Posted 11 September 2009 - 09:39

Here is mine. I can't write straight without the lines to guide me. embarrassed_smile.gif
I kinda like my Lamy but would still want to write with a Rotring 0.6 (which helps me to patiently write down) on a daily basis.
Also, I have another hand for lecture notes taking but it's a bit out of topic here.

Hope you can read what I wrote here. thumbup.gif

Attached Images

• Untitled_1.jpg

Edited by verdiinpink, 11 September 2009 - 09:54.

#26 penspouse

penspouse

Happy Granny

• Member - Gold

• 3,274 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 11 September 2009 - 14:58

verdiinpink,

You have given me some god ideas. Thanks for posting.
Soli Deo Gloria

Shameless plug

#27 CRB

CRB

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 427 posts

Posted 11 September 2009 - 15:03

Verdiinpink, your handwriting is very attractive and quite original. If it were a font, I'm sure I would select it. And you can write in that fashion with some speed? I'm very impressed. Thanks for sharing.

Joe

#28 lefty928

lefty928

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,081 posts

Posted 11 September 2009 - 17:18

My cursive is no model to follow embarrassed_smile.gif , but for everyday handwriting, you might want to look up some of OldGriz's posts. His handwriting is really, really nice. There are many others here on FPN who have posted samples of their cursive handwriting, fancy and non-fancy, that have on occasion made me swoon and even prompted me to buy the ink or pen they were reviewing (or at least put them on my wish list)! (I am not even touching on those who practice calligraphy or use a cursive italic for everyday writing.) Hmmm. Maybe I should be the one practicing!
Posted Image

#29 verdiinpink

verdiinpink

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 71 posts

Posted 11 September 2009 - 18:06

Oh, I forgot 'S' and Congo is spelt with 'C' not 'K', I'm sorry. wallbash.gif
Thanks, penspouse and CRB, I use this hand when writing to friends or taking exams. (^ ^)

I think I'll browse around the forum for some inspiration, too.

#30 Inka

Inka

Beyond Reason!

• Member - Gold

• 1,788 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 11 September 2009 - 19:49

Ever since getting a larger pen, I've been writing more and practicing more.
It seems that pen size does make a huge difference, at least for me it does.
My Pelikan M800 fits me rather well, but now having a fountain pen that dwarfs even the M800 I'm finding my hand writing is improving.
With the larger pen I can write far longer, I have far less hand fatigue and pain, those things alone are adding greatly to my daily-hand it seems.

Here's a new sample of my daily-hand, and while I still have much practice to do I am seeing an overall improvement...

The paper is old-stock Xerox Premium Ink-jet that's been discontinued, doesn't lend as nicely to shading as does the Staples sugarcane baggase I'd submitted previously.
The primary ink is a home-made blend of 5 different inks, mostly Noodler's "bulletproof" in Polar Blue & Black, mixed with two Eternal inks of Hunter Green & Luxury Blue, plus a shot of Pelikan 4001 Turquoise thrown in for added "pop".