#1 OcalaFlGuy

OcalaFlGuy

Ancient Artifact

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,017 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 24 August 2009 - 02:58

I noticed the other day that at least here in North Central Florida, Wal-mart sells a dispensing syringe with a blunt plastic "needle" on the end of it
for less than $2 IIRC. It's on the shelf where the infant medical supplies are, not even behind the pharmacy counter.

Bruce in Ocala, FL

#2 jleeper

jleeper

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 517 posts

Posted 24 August 2009 - 22:55

I noticed the other day that at least here in North Central Florida, Wal-mart sells a dispensing syringe with a blunt plastic "needle" on the end of it
for less than $2 IIRC. It's on the shelf where the infant medical supplies are, not even behind the pharmacy counter.

Bruce in Ocala, FL

My Target pharmacy has given me a small number of syringes in varying sizes. They don't have needles of any type, but are useful in measuring out small quanities of liquids. I've never ask if they have some sort of plastic needle, but if I need a new one, I think I'll ask.
Taxes are the price we pay for a civilized society. -- Oliver Wendell Holmes, Jr., Justice of U.S. Supreme Court (1902 -1932)
border="0" class="linked-sig-image" />

#3 OcalaFlGuy

OcalaFlGuy

Ancient Artifact

• Member - Gold

• 12,017 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 24 August 2009 - 23:15

The plastic needles are especially handy for reloading cartridges, section loading an Estie or using the Peartree sample vials to load a converter.

Bruce in Ocala, FL

#4 JayLo

JayLo

Another day in paradise

• Premium - Ruby

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,165 posts

Posted 25 August 2009 - 12:23

Also - if you're looking for a quantity or metal blunt syringes, try this place:

http://www.zeph.com/...icator_tips.htm
or
http://www.howardele...en/needles.html

#5 Randal6393

Randal6393

Love italic handwriting.

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,212 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 25 August 2009 - 12:56

A CVS pharmacy in my area sells disposable syringes with a SHARP needle for $0.11 US each. Not that I need or use the sharp needle particularly. But I can buy a handful of syringes for filling cartridges, use until problem occurs, and break the needle, dispose of. All for practically nothing.

Hmmm ... Ecofriendly? Maybe I will have to rethink this practice.

The Target in my area carries a bulb syringe in the infant medical supplies that costs about $2.00 and is very useful for pushing fluids through the nib of a C/C type pen. Cuts cleaning time on most C/C pens to just a few minutes. Recommend it for anyone who regularly cleans C/C pens.

Enjoy,

Edited by Randal6393, 25 August 2009 - 13:03.

Yours,
Randal

From a person's actions, we may infer attitudes, beliefs, --- and values. We do not know these characteristics outright. The human dichotomies of trust and distrust, honor and duplicity, love and hate --- all depend on internal states we cannot directly experience. Isn't this what adds zest to our life?

#6 Bookman

Bookman

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• 823 posts

Posted 25 August 2009 - 21:31

QUOTE (OcalaFlGuy @ Aug 23 2009, 07:58 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Bruce in Ocala, FL

I checked my local Wal-Mart. It has two syringe kits with plastic "adapters" that look like funnels, but none with blunt needles. Perhaps the next time you're there you could get the brand/model, item number, etc. off the package. Thanks.
I love the smell of fountain pen ink in the morning.

#7 Ink Stained Wretch

Ink Stained Wretch

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 2,616 posts

Posted 25 August 2009 - 23:49

QUOTE (Randal6393 @ Aug 25 2009, 08:56 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
The Target in my area carries a bulb syringe in the infant medical supplies that costs about $2.00 and is very useful for pushing fluids through the nib of a C/C type pen. Cuts cleaning time on most C/C pens to just a few minutes. Recommend it for anyone who regularly cleans C/C pens.

I use a one ounce ear bulb for that. But what I do first is sacrifice a cartridge by cutting off the closed end. To clean out a c/c fountain pen I put the surgically altered cartridge in the pen and then fit the tip of the ear syringe into the other end, which is wider and can accommodate the ear syringe's tip. This allows the full pressure developed by the syringe to go coursing through the ink channel. Fountain pens that still show some ink color in the outflow after three ounces of this treatment really have a lot of dried out ink in them. So I'll soak them and repeat the ear syringe water blast.
On a sacred quest for the perfect blue ink mixture!
ink stained wretch filling inkwell

#8 Samovar

Samovar

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 1,299 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 25 August 2009 - 23:53

For those traveling to Japan, you can find syringe and blunt metal needles in any Tokyu Hands department store in the science section. They work great!

Visit my food blog
Foodie Topography

#9 OcalaFlGuy

OcalaFlGuy

Ancient Artifact

• Member - Gold

• 12,017 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 26 August 2009 - 00:29

Well drat. Seems I led yall astray. Bookman is 100% correct, the Wally Whurl syringes DON'T have the dispensing needles on them.

So, you might try either the CVS suggestion (if your state laws allow them to sell them there) OR here; http://www.fountainp...howtopic=108038 I have a couple of these, they're a bit pricier but the hassle quotent is really low in getting them too. They DO have the dispensing needles on them.

And, Bookman, since I led you astray and feel bad that you made a trip to Wally Whurl based on what I told you, tell you what I'm gonna do. If you promise not to stick yourself or a Waterman 52 sac or mainline any Baystate Blue with it, backchannel me your snail mail and I'll send you a freebers
one with a real needle on it. Sorry 'bout that man.

Bruce in Ocala, FL

Edited by OcalaFlGuy, 26 August 2009 - 00:30.

#10 Bookman

Bookman

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• 823 posts

Posted 26 August 2009 - 01:20

QUOTE (OcalaFlGuy @ Aug 25 2009, 05:29 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Well drat. Seems I led yall astray. Bookman is 100% correct, the Wally Whurl syringes DON'T have the dispensing needles on them.

So, you might try either the CVS suggestion (if your state laws allow them to sell them there) OR here; http://www.fountainp...howtopic=108038 I have a couple of these, they're a bit pricier but the hassle quotent is really low in getting them too. They DO have the dispensing needles on them.

And, Bookman, since I led you astray and feel bad that you made a trip to Wally Whurl based on what I told you, tell you what I'm gonna do. If you promise not to stick yourself or a Waterman 52 sac or mainline any Baystate Blue with it, backchannel me your snail mail and I'll send you a freebers
one with a real needle on it. Sorry 'bout that man.

Bruce in Ocala, FL

Appreciate it.
I love the smell of fountain pen ink in the morning.

#11 LedZepGirl

LedZepGirl

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 1,777 posts

Posted 26 August 2009 - 02:01

So does Meijers if you have them near you. I buy needles for my cat there.
I'd rather spend my money on pens instead of shoes and handbags.

>>> My Blog <<<

#12 WebDebSpider

WebDebSpider

Dipped Only

• Member - Silver

• Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 11 October 2013 - 03:29

So glad I searched for this topic here. Like they ("Who's they?") always say, "always search before starting a new topic".

Will be looking in my neck of the woods for these things soon.

#13 SeeksAdvice

SeeksAdvice

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 980 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 11 October 2013 - 04:32

Here's another tip ...

Depending on where you are, you can find syringes for animals.  Might have a bore problem, but just tossing that out.  We had a guy try to break into a farming supply store to steal some of those for shooting up drugs.  Of course, I live in an area that has pretty heavy-duty ag activity and pretty heavy-duty drug activity.

Wow, a CVS willing to sell sharp needles.  Do they have druggies line up for that?  Sorry, that's the snarky drug-prosecutor coming out in me.  One trip to that CVS and you could have a complete meth "banging" kit all in one stop.

Imagination and memory are but one thing which for diverse reasons hath diverse names. -- T. Hobbes - Leviathan