• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• dapv

• AlecG

• inkypete

• trent

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

FWIW my daily man bag for work is a pair of Duluth trading Fire Hose Work pants. Pens and Moleskine pocket notebook quad ruled btw, ride on the left side in the cargo pocket. Right side is reserved for which ever pocket tools are needed at the moment. Detail note, the cargo pockets have patch pockets on the outside the front one is covered by the main pocket flap, the back one is open top. So I can drop in a handful of zip ties, diagonal cutters, and a screw driver. Job ready for the next task.

For travel, I use a Columbia laptop backpack with everything that I don't want to trust to the baggage handlers.

festina lente

Well I took the plunge and ordered from these guys:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Leather-Briefcase-Backpack-Bag-Satchel-Tote-L02A22-/160472794482?pt=US_CSA_MWA_Briefcases&hash=item255cec8572

I got it in the "wine" color. Hopefully it's as tough as the Saddleback stuff, but seems to be about half the price.

Edited by redshifteffect

I continue to find manbag a repulsive term. From its kinship with manhole and mantrap, it suggests a body bag rather than a satchel. Why not say satchel when one is meant, rather than cobbling together a kindergarten term out of easy-to-spell three-letter words? Or is that the whole point?

BTW, they cause scoliosis. Look at this guy.

Edited by Fuddlestack

When you're good at it, it's really miserable.

I thought I had a purse but now I'm wondering if I have a manbag/satchel (I'm female but I prefer my purse to be more practical/utilitarian than anything else -- I have lots of pens to carry).

Thursday I had a procedure done: before the procedure my neurosurgeon walks in to check in on me; on his way out of the room, I notice he has the same bag as I do (Bagallini Uptown Bagg) but I chose not to call him out in front of the 4 female RNs 'cause he's the guy with the sharp tools and knows how to use them.

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Hope L, hopeless nib nerd

Neglected blog: www.louisquill.com

http://img525.imageshack.us/img525/606/letterji9.png http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_qVJOiluU9_4/THp4iGeCcpI/AAAAAAAAA2A/xh2FRE0B8p0/s320/InkDropLogoFPN3.jpg

I continue to find manbag a repulsive term. From its kinship with manhole and mantrap, it suggests a body bag rather than a satchel. Why not say satchel when one is meant, rather than cobbling together a kindergarten term out of easy-to-spell three-letter words? Or is that the whole point?

Don't you understand: bags are for women. Throughout history, men have never had bags. Even in the most permissive, decadent years of modernity, men have resisted the ultra-feminine accoutrements of the bag. Backpack: for women. Briefcase: for women. Hessian sack: for women.

Only in the recent, post-modern era of decay have men taken to bags. Hence, they must be designated as manbags: essentially a female item, somehow embraced by existentially sick males. These aren't really bags, they're manbags: warped, twisted creatures, born of the hideous melding of two previously separated kinds.

God help us all.

Edited by DAYoung

Damon Young

philosopher & author

OUT NOW: The Art of Reading

http://content.damonyoung.com.au/aor.jpg

Freitag for pose value and that nice lorry smell not dissimilar to that of old Soviet cameras.

Timbuktu for practicality and a decent array of pockets inside (two that zip). The larger of my Timbuktus does yeoman service as a suitcase.

The big problem with the nylon/cordura messenger bags I favour is that the cheaper ones tend to be thickly padded, perhaps with an eye to laptops, which decreases the internal space, adds to the weight and leaves the bag still bulky even when empty. The Timbuktu internal pockets, too, lie flat against the side of the bag when empty. Just a very well-thought-out, practical bag.

edit: wow, Timbuk2, didn't even notice! maybe because they just quietly do what you want them to do?

Edited by brunico

My everyday kitbag is an Oakley Icon backpack in blue, the original version. It's about 8 years old and still going strong, just showing a little wear. If I don't need as much capacity there's a North Face 'megamouth' 19l backpack which is big enough for the essentials (laptop, notepad, pens, odds and ends). On the rare occasion I need something more formal I've got a Samsonite hard attache case my partner bought me about 20 years ago, and which still looks virtually new even though it was carted around every day for nearly 10 years.

• 2 weeks later...

In Sleuth & Statesman (pen shop near work), I just saw a Clairefontaine bag. It`s canvas, has a padded spot for laptop and is 'portrait' rather than 'landscape'. I've searched the web to see if there are others but no luck. My guess is that someone is making bags for Clairefontaine to brand. Has anyone else seen these or know of a website showing more?

Don't know about all time favorite, but so far I've been using these:

Mini Sneaky Bag

Maxpedition Fatboy S-Type Versipack

See with what large letters I have written you with my own hand. GaVIxi

The pen is the interpreter of the soul: what one thinks, the other expresses. (MdC)

Don't you understand: bags are for women. Throughout history, men have never had bags. Even in the most permissive, decadent years of modernity, men have resisted the ultra-feminine accoutrements of the bag. Backpack: for women. Briefcase: for women. Hessian sack: for women.

Only in the recent, post-modern era of decay have men taken to bags. Hence, they must be designated as manbags: essentially a female item, somehow embraced by existentially sick males. These aren't really bags, they're manbags: warped, twisted creatures, born of the hideous melding of two previously separated kinds.

God help us all.

I did smile reading this because it highlights my comments many pages back about avoiding being seen as a right girlie! Hence, I have a briefcase, in leather, brown, with a strap that sometimes goes over one shoulder when I have to hold a drink in one hand and a plate of food in the other. But I also have one of those trout/salmon bags in canvas with leather straps for being out and about holding essentials which include binoculars, camera, hipflask of booze etc. but I what to call it? It is not really a satchell as I remember them from my schooldays and gamebag seems wrong when I'm not in the countryside but on a plane or train.

But hey - manbag - oh no. Too much like handbag ;)

Chris

To withstand the extreme conditions of college (door blows, snow and salt residue, getting tossed around) and to make sure the expensive laptop and pens stay in one condition I go with a Pelican Case. Watertight, basically unbreakable, and remarkably light.

http://img525.imageshack.us/img525/606/letterji9.png

i just bring with me a small sling bag (lee) to make it simple, it has enough space for a journal, paper, two fp's and a rollerball, .. :rolleyes:

Edited by ag273n

http://i232.photobucket.com/albums/ee84/cards_of_fool/handwriting3-1.jpg

if men would write like poets all the time, would we understand them?

What's worse is murse -- m(an p)urse.

Ashby

Carpe Stilo

• 2 weeks later...

Been very enjoyable reading all 25 pages on this subject. I've been carrying a Timbuk2 Classic small messenger for since April 2010. It carries my netbook, charger, journal, pens (2 in a cigar case and a few more in pen wrap, point & shoot camera, iPod, wallet, checkbook plus a paperback or a couple of magazines. Waterproof and keeps everything dry up here in the Pacific Northwest. Four zippered pockets under the flap as well as a longer zipped pocket in the main compartment. No extra padding for the netbook, so I keep it in a neoprene case. The only thing that I wish it had was a handle on the top like my larger Timbuk2 Command medium bag.

//mark

Just picked up my sweet Manbag from Vagabond Traveler.

Will post pictures when I get home from work.

Cool you went with Vegabond as well. I'll do a full review later, but I've been very happy with my bag so far. At almost half the price of Saddleback and Custom Hide this bag seems to be just as good in quality. Plus I highly recommend the seller, he accidentally posted a lower shipping cost than what he actually paid, but still honored the price he posted.

http://i1210.photobucket.com/albums/cc403/redshiftfpn/Vegabond%20Travelers%20Bag/DSC_0057.jpg

http://i1210.photobucket.com/albums/cc403/redshiftfpn/Vegabond%20Travelers%20Bag/DSC_0056.jpg

http://i1210.photobucket.com/albums/cc403/redshiftfpn/Vegabond%20Travelers%20Bag/DSC_0059.jpg

http://i1210.photobucket.com/albums/cc403/redshiftfpn/Vegabond%20Travelers%20Bag/DSC_0060.jpg

http://i1210.photobucket.com/albums/cc403/redshiftfpn/Vegabond%20Travelers%20Bag/DSC_0055.jpg

I really like this bag:

Swaine Adeney Brigg

but eehm, no way I'm gonna pay 1600 bucks for a bag. Even for me there are some limits.

Swaine are great bags,but very very expensive. I have one of there padfolios from classicluggage.com

The leather is top notch, but still way to expensive.

"Churn the Butter"