Nib Repair

BearsPaw

My 9314-B (in a double jeweled J) started skipping all of a sudden at work, but I thought it might be the new ink I was using (Noodler's Ottoman Azure). I brought it home, and when I unscrewed the cap, I saw it had started leaking. I decided to clean the pen and try another ink. I unscrewed the nib and then looked at it closely and saw that the nib had become misaligned with the feed! I don't know if I did that when I unscrewed it, or if it was the source of my problems.

I switched nibs and the pen is writing fine, so I'm going to blame the nib for the problems I have. It seems hard to find this nib at a decent price, and I don't particularly want to buy another one. Are these easy to fix yourself?

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• BearsPaw

• OcalaFlGuy

• pb2

My 9314-B (in a double jeweled J) started skipping all of a sudden at work, but I thought it might be the new ink I was using (Noodler's Ottoman Azure). I brought it home, and when I unscrewed the cap, I saw it had started leaking. I decided to clean the pen and try another ink. I unscrewed the nib and then looked at it closely and saw that the nib had become misaligned with the feed! I don't know if I did that when I unscrewed it, or if it was the source of my problems.

I switched nibs and the pen is writing fine, so I'm going to blame the nib for the problems I have. It seems hard to find this nib at a decent price, and I don't particularly want to buy another one. Are these easy to fix yourself?

The answer is yes but (and I'm far from even a nibminor) I'm not sure a nib/feed alignment should cause a leak but I guess it could.

I think it is pretty common for Esties nibs and feeds to not line up perfectly and usually it doesn't affect anything.

First, I'd probably screw the nib back into a pen to do this just because it gives you a better gripping area isolated from the area you're playing with.

I think you have two minor stages to do here and you may have to go back and forth on them a time or two.

Turn the nib upside down, grasp the nib up near the section junction firmly on each side of it, then put a fingernail from the other hand alongside the

feed on the side of it you need to move the nib Towards to hold it kind of in place and just wiggle/move the nib til it aligns with the feed. Again you DON'T

want to be putting side pressure on the nib anywhere from the vent hole forward if possible so you don't mess up the hopefully correct tine alignment.

If/when it is aligned better, then grasping again at the nib/section junction the nib with the underside of your finger and the feed with the underside of

your thumb push them BOTH as a unit in towards the section to be sure they are in all the way. If this changes the nib/feed alignment some, later, rinse,

repeat.

Also be SURE when you go to use the nib that it is screwed into the section tightly.

Bruce in Ocala, FL

The answer is yes but (and I'm far from even a nibminor) I'm not sure a nib/feed alignment should cause a leak but I guess it could.

I think it is pretty common for Esties nibs and feeds to not line up perfectly and usually it doesn't affect anything.

First, I'd probably screw the nib back into a pen to do this just because it gives you a better gripping area isolated from the area you're playing with.

I think you have two minor stages to do here and you may have to go back and forth on them a time or two.

Turn the nib upside down, grasp the nib up near the section junction firmly on each side of it, then put a fingernail from the other hand alongside the

feed on the side of it you need to move the nib Towards to hold it kind of in place and just wiggle/move the nib til it aligns with the feed. Again you DON'T

want to be putting side pressure on the nib anywhere from the vent hole forward if possible so you don't mess up the hopefully correct tine alignment.

If/when it is aligned better, then grasping again at the nib/section junction the nib with the underside of your finger and the feed with the underside of

your thumb push them BOTH as a unit in towards the section to be sure they are in all the way. If this changes the nib/feed alignment some, later, rinse,

repeat.

So I had some free time tonight, and gave this a shot. I cannot move the nib AT ALL. It won't even wiggle a bit. It is solidly stuck in the current position.

The weird thing is that it is pretty severely misaligned (you can see the feed from the front of the nib). I think I would have noticed this in the past few months that I've had the nib. Which means it somehow got into this configuration, but now it won't move! I have no idea how this happened, but I think I'm going to have to hit up the bay for a replacement at this point.

This was one of my favorite nibs, so I am sad to see it go.

It's not like it's going to flop around in there. It HAS to be fitted in tightly for it to work right.

The nib, feed and collar are only held together basically with a VERY TIGHT friction fit.

It WILL move. Enough to get it lined back up anyway. (I would have said EXACTLY what you said Saturday on the one I did at least for the first 3 times I tried to shift it. I think it was about the 4th try before it finally slid over a scoush.)

The main thing to be concerned with is that you are applying the shifting movement to the nib up near the section or at least aft of the vent hole

so you don't misalign the tines.

MAKE THAT NIB DO WHAT YOU WANT IT TO DO! (what else now have you got to lose with that nib anyway?)

Bruce in Ocala, FL

Send it to me and I'll fix it for free. :) ~ pb

repeat.

So I had some free time tonight, and gave this a shot. I cannot move the nib AT ALL. It won't even wiggle a bit. It is solidly stuck in the current position.

The weird thing is that it is pretty severely misaligned (you can see the feed from the front of the nib). I think I would have noticed this in the past few months that I've had the nib. Which means it somehow got into this configuration, but now it won't move! I have no idea how this happened, but I think I'm going to have to hit up the bay for a replacement at this point.

This was one of my favorite nibs, so I am sad to see it go.

pendletonspens.com

~ May the Lord smile on you ~