Estie c-r-a-c-k... repairable?

purerobin

(if this picture doesn't post, I'll try it again)

I literally cannot wait for my copy of Da Book to wend it's way to my mailbox, so in the meantime, can you Estie-ites tell me if this crack spells doom, or can I repair it with some sort of magical juice? The crack is where the metal of the nib meets the black section.

What do you think? Will she live?

post-18461-1247083224_thumb.jpg

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• OcalaFlGuy

• Kabe

• FarmBoy

• purerobin

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

To elaborate a bit -- cracked sections are generally considered unrepairable, because the combination of wedging action from inserting nib and feed, plus the bending loads from writing, pretty much guarantee repeat failure at the joint.

Now, with the Esterbrook's screw-in nib unit, I'm not so certain that's the case, but it's not terribly difficult or expensive to get a new section (if you buy it from one of the folks here, possibly even with a sac already installed so you just have to unscrew your old nib, work the old section out of the barrel, and press the new one in before screwing the nib unit back into place).

If you don't do your own sac replacements, I'd suggest just sending the pen along to virtually anyone who does so, after first inquiring whether they can supply a replacement section.

Does not always write loving messages.

Does not always foot up columns correctly.

Does not always sign big checks.

A million thank you's. I'm sure this exact problem has been discussed all over this forum but I couldn't quite put it together. It also took me a while to realize that the technical name for the section in question is really called the "section." Too obvious.

I am proud to say I do my own sac replacements. Plus, I grow my own lettuce.

Have the same problem with a dollar pen, now I know wjat to do

The voice of this guitar of mine, at the awakening of the morning, wants to sing its joy;

I sing to your volcanoes, to your meadows and flowers, that are like mementos of the greatest of my loves;

If I am to die away from you, may they say I am sleeping, and bring me back home.

http://img356.imageshack.us/img356/7260/postminipo0.pnghttp://img356.imageshack.us/img356/8703/letterminizk9.png

I know what the prevailing knowledge is on this but if I had any of the correct solvent around or cheaply easily available, I'd be

tempted to attempt to solvent "weld" it. It's not like you'd be risking anything...

Bruce in Ocala, FL

Me too.

San Francisco International Pen Show - The next “Funnest Pen Show” is on schedule for August 23-24-25, 2024.  Watch the show website for registration details. 

My PM box is usually full. Just email me: my last name at the google mail address.

I didn't want to say it, but I am also inclined to try a home repair.

Would crazy glue eat off the plastic? I would use it as an epoxy strenghener

The voice of this guitar of mine, at the awakening of the morning, wants to sing its joy;

I sing to your volcanoes, to your meadows and flowers, that are like mementos of the greatest of my loves;

If I am to die away from you, may they say I am sleeping, and bring me back home.

http://img356.imageshack.us/img356/7260/postminipo0.pnghttp://img356.imageshack.us/img356/8703/letterminizk9.png

No to crazy glue. No to epoxy.

You need to solvent weld the crack.

San Francisco International Pen Show - The next “Funnest Pen Show” is on schedule for August 23-24-25, 2024.  Watch the show website for registration details. 

My PM box is usually full. Just email me: my last name at the google mail address.

Todd, doesn't the one pen being a dollar pen complicate the solvent welding issue? Aren't some of those sections hard rubber? (And how can we tell

the difference?) I'm not sure but I don't think solvent welding works with hard rubber. Now, I think for the J series pens you'd be safe at least trying it.

(Kabe/purerobin, go to the repair forum and search for "solvent" and look for the threads on solvent welding.)

Bruce in Ocala, FL

Edited by OcalaFlGuy

I'm actually starting to think it might not be worth it

I'm actually starting to think it might not be worth it

Honestly, unless you had the right solvent, (and I don't) it'd probably cost as much for the solvent as it would a new section. (Todd on the other hand, has

access to tanker loads of the stuff...) Now, the only issues are Dollar pen sections are a bit less common the J series and some of the sections vary a bit in diameter. If you find someone with a few extra sections, I'd send then your barrel so they can pick a section out that fits snuggly. Get a new section, a cracked one is no reason to "discard" the pen.

Bruce in Ocala, FL

Same conclusion I had reached. Will make a post in some section, asking for people with nib sections to come forward. Then maybe, and along with another pen, I can trade it for a J.

Todd, doesn't the one pen being a dollar pen complicate the solvent welding issue? Aren't some of those sections hard rubber? (And how can we tell

the difference?) I'm not sure but I don't think solvent welding works with hard rubber. Now, I think for the J series pens you'd be safe at least trying it.

(Kabe/purerobin, go to the repair forum and search for "solvent" and look for the threads on solvent welding.)

Bruce in Ocala, FL

Ok for some reason I was thinking this was a crack in the barrel (wrong thread) and if it were a crack in the barrel solvent welding is the way to go.

Crack in the section, find a new section. They don't glue, weld, etc.

Todd

Bruce in Ocala, FL

Ok for some reason I was thinking this was a crack in the barrel (wrong thread) and if it were a crack in the barrel solvent welding is the way to go.

Crack in the section, find a new section. They don't glue, weld, etc.

Todd

Actually, I read a post from El Zorno where IF it is a hard rubber section and IF you do the repair within 12 hrs. of the break (not possible in this case

any longer) 2 part epoxy might work. He has a section he fixed like this that has held "for years". However, after 12 hrs. the hard rubber in the crack

area starts to oxidize and the epoxy won't adhere like it should any longer.

Bruce in Ocala, FL

(if this picture doesn't post, I'll try it again)

I literally cannot wait for my copy of Da Book to wend it's way to my mailbox, so in the meantime, can you Estie-ites tell me if this crack spells doom, or can I repair it with some sort of magical juice? The crack is where the metal of the nib meets the black section.

What do you think? Will she live?

What size is your pen? I may have a section I can send you.

A

MB 149 YWC, MB Doue BP, Parker Sterling Silver Cisele BP & RB

• 2 weeks later...
What size is your pen? I may have a section I can send you.

A

I am deliriously happy to have found a site where folks are so deeply knowledgeable and generous.

The pen is away from me right now, but next week we'll be together and I'll take it apart, see what's what, and post.

Till then, y'all, thanks!!

Rg