Driping a bit where the Section meets the Feed?

pricca

Hello Fellow Esterbrookers,

I finally got my first dollar working after replacing the sac and I'm absolutely amazed how smoooooothly it writes!

Nevertheless there seems to be some leaking around the base of the feed, where it meets the top of the section. It starts getting too wet and finally starts to dripping if I leave the pen facing down over the paper just to test it out.

Any tips on how to seal this little leak?

I'll be posting pictures of my Dollar later tonight :rolleyes:

Cheers,

PR

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• frotz

• FarmBoy

• Rob G

• pricca

Top Posters In This Topic

I am assuming from your description, the leak is where the nib screws into the section. You may want to double check and make sure the nib is screwed all the way into the section. If you have already tried that you could also apply a thin film of silicone grease to see if perhaps the threads are worn.

I am assuming from your description, the leak is where the nib screws into the section. You may want to double check and make sure the nib is screwed all the way into the section. If you have already tried that you could also apply a thin film of silicone grease to see if perhaps the threads are worn.

Hi Jlgreer,

Yes I did check. I even unscrewed it, cleaned it from any ink excess acumulated in the feed and around that area, screwed the nib again and after writing 3 or 4 words that ring area around the base of the nib started to get all 'inky' again.

How do you suggest to apply the film of silicione grease? Unscrew the nib, and apply it on the inside part ?

Many thanks for your answer!

PR

Hi Jlgreer,

Yes I did check. I even unscrewed it, cleaned it from any ink excess acumulated in the feed and around that area, screwed the nib again and after writing 3 or 4 words that ring area around the base of the nib started to get all 'inky' again.

How do you suggest to apply the film of silicione grease? Unscrew the nib, and apply it on the inside part ?

Many thanks for your answer!

PR

Look really closely at the section and make sure there are no cracks.

You may also have a compromised sac. (I like saying that, compromised sac.)

Need to run, Estate sale buddy called....opens at 10 and I'm on the list (it pays to have friends) at number 4. Rumor has it no pens (more friends, I know the estate sale guys) but you never know.

Todd

San Francisco International Pen Show - The next “Funnest Pen Show” is on schedule for August 23-24-25, 2024.  Watch the show website for registration details. 

My PM box is usually full. Just email me: my last name at the google mail address.

After playing with Dip-Less pens for a few months, I decided to get a lever-fill. The nib included had cracked threads, so after cleaning up the body, I mounted a NOS 9556. The first symptom was that I had to immerse the nib up to the beginning of the section for any suction to pull ink inside. Then I found ink gathering between the section and the nib. Both of these pointed to the threads not sealing properly. It's not enough to cause drips or get inky fingers, but it's enough of an annoyance that I want to do something about it. I seem to recall someone saying that silicone grease used by scuba divers is ideal for lubricating Pelikan pistons. I think it may be good for sealing the threads, though I'll have to check if the grease is stiff enough. Petroleum jelly was another thought, but it's sensitive to temperature and may drip back into the sac. I also thought of pure beeswax, but that's probably far too stiff. Yet another thought is on white lithium grease, which strikes me as too thin and not suitable at all as a sealant.

I'll get a dollop of grease from a dive shop I know about and report back.

Silicone grease sold for lubricating pool equipment valves appears to be the correct stiffness to fix this leak. However, it doesn't seem to be the threads that are leaking. I tried tape-dope, which should have done the job if the threads were the problem. I took the tape off, then wiped a fairly large amount of grease in the nib socket. Still, this didn't work. Then, probably by accident, I got some grease between the first three fins closest to the pen body. This fixed the leak. I submerged the pen in water past the threads and pulled the lever. Air bubbled out only through the tines, not higher up. I'm not sure yet if I ruined a nib by putting grease in the fins. I'd rather get under the feed and seal whatever is leaking directly, but I can't figure out how to disassemble the nib unit. The nib in question is a 2556, so if it's ruined, it's not like ruining a precious 9xxx series nib. So far, the problem seems fixed. My only problem now is that I don't like the feel of a 2xxx series. I'll run around for a week with this and make another report.

Edited by frotz

Is this your only Estie/nib combo? If not, why not put the other nib in the leaky pen to help narrow down if it the

threads on the nib or in the section that are wonky? (Unless I'm missing something here...) Wouldn't want to be

thinking it was the nib when in reality it was the section. Just brainstormin' here.

Bruce in Ocala, FL

Is this your only Estie/nib combo? If not, why not put the other nib in the leaky pen to help narrow down if it the

threads on the nib or in the section that are wonky? (Unless I'm missing something here...) Wouldn't want to be

thinking it was the nib when in reality it was the section. Just brainstormin' here.

Bruce in Ocala, FL

I have two Estie bodies and around seven nibs. By mixing and matching, I determined that most of my nib units have trouble. Looking carefully at the bubbles made by immersing the business end in water and pressing the sac was also helpful in diagnosing the trouble.

... I can't figure out how to disassemble the nib unit.

The nib unit consists of the nib, the feed, and the collar. The nib and feed can be knocked out of the collar using a pin punch. I "restored" a 9556 this way by using a collar from a 1550.

Rob G

"Sacred cows make the best hamburger." - Mark Twain

The nib unit consists of the nib, the feed, and the collar. The nib and feed can be knocked out of the collar using a pin punch. I "restored" a 9556 this way by using a collar from a 1550.

So, I carefully clamp the collar in a vise padded with a bit of soft suede or rubber and tap the circular inner part? What's the wedge-shaped mark on the side of the collar? It looks like the collar was staked to the feed.

So, I carefully clamp the collar in a vise padded with a bit of soft suede or rubber and tap the circular inner part? What's the wedge-shaped mark on the side of the collar? It looks like the collar was staked to the feed.

The collar is staked to the feed and it doesn't like to be separated. Early Renew Points will have a small pin holding them together. (It is a real pain to remove the pen if you have ever tried.)

On occasion you find one that doesn't have the divot and it will come apart nicely.

It is not uncommon to see the collar has contracted a bit but the threads will almost always seal.

If you have a pen that leaks with many different nibs then you have a crack in the section or a bad sac. Renew points are almost bullet proof except for tip damage.

Todd

San Francisco International Pen Show - The next “Funnest Pen Show” is on schedule for August 23-24-25, 2024.  Watch the show website for registration details. 

My PM box is usually full. Just email me: my last name at the google mail address.

The collar is staked to the feed and it doesn't like to be separated. Early Renew Points will have a small pin holding them together. (It is a real pain to remove the pen if you have ever tried.)

On occasion you find one that doesn't have the divot and it will come apart nicely.

Todd

I noticed the staking marks, but on the 1xxx and 2xxx points it was so slight as to be nearly invisible. On the 9xxx points it appears to be a bit deeper.

I purchased a red J from eBay and, when I atttempted to unscrew the point, the nib (a 9556 worth saving) and the feed pulled free. The collar stayed in, and, when I tried to extricate it, crumbled into tiny pieces. Since I had all of these cheaper points hanging about, there was little to lose. I expected that there would be some resistance to its being pulled apart, but it came right out with no problem.

Rob G

"Sacred cows make the best hamburger." - Mark Twain