Parker 100 Ink Flow Question

mitchjg

I got a new Parker 100 last week. Great deal @ $99. But, maybe not so great since it is not working well. When used for awhile, writes beautifully. That takes a bit of effort.

If left for a few hours, capped / nib up, it has a slow start. Occasionally, it has skipped a bit on starting. The typical pattern is it writes with a relatively weak flow for about 3 lines or so of writing. Then, the flow kicks in and it is a nice, wet, smooth writer (with the F more like an M).

I have cleaned it a couple of times with a soapy solution. I have flushed it through with an ammonia solution. I am now trying to habililitate it with some Solv-X ink. So far, the pattern persists. Apparently, I am not alone, drdavis is having the same issue as described here: Parker 100 Ink Trick - Repair Forum

If this will resolve with more time and Solv-x, I guess I am ok with this.

But, if not, I am wasting a lot of time and energy for naught.

There is a 45 day return policy at Tuesday Morning, so I have time to invest but....geez.

Anyone have similar experiences, success or fail at this issue?

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Wolverine1

• wspohn

• mitchjg

• b1lynch

Top Posters In This Topic

Mine is a wet noodle and can be left for months and starts right up.... maybe there is a manufacturing problem with yours *shrug*

-Bruce

Mine is a wet noodle and can be left for months and starts right up.... maybe there is a manufacturing problem with yours *shrug*

-Bruce

A wet noodle eh? Either you misused that expression, which is a very heinous crime in the world of fountain pens, OR you have a pen I REALLY REALLY want...

I have the same problem with my 100 and I've not been able to figure it out. It didn't matter that I was using Quink. It just doesn't write properly. It's not been worth it to me to send off to a repair person, but I might end up doing that.

I had a Parker 100 FP that I was so frustrated with, that I was about ready to throw it in the garbage bin.

However, a friend, who is very knowledgeable about pens came to visit, carrying a rubber bulb ( like the ones sold at pharmacies to clean baby's noses). He soaked the pen for a while in lukewarm water,and then used the bulb to force clean water through the feed and section area of the pen. Soon, I could see bits of dried up ink gunk come out. He kept repeating the process till no more dried up ink gunk came out.

After this procedure, the pen has worked like a charm. No difficulty starting, or with the ink-flow skipping in the midst of writing a sentence.

Edited by Wolverine1

-Bruce

A wet noodle eh? Either you misused that expression, which is a very heinous crime in the world of fountain pens, OR you have a pen I REALLY REALLY want...

Yup - common error. They pretty much haven't made any wet noodles in a hald century (with very few exceptions, none of them by Parker)

Bill Spohn

Vancouver BC

"Music is the wine that fills the cup of silence"

Robert Fripp

https://www.rhodoworld.com/fountain-pens.html

• 4 years later...

I had a Parker 100 FP that I was so frustrated with, that I was about ready to throw it in the garbage bin.

However, a friend, who is very knowledgeable about pens came to visit, carrying a rubber bulb ( like the ones sold at pharmacies to clean baby's noses). He soaked the pen for a while in lukewarm water,and then used the bulb to force clean water through the feed and section area of the pen. Soon, I could see bits of dried up ink gunk come out. He kept repeating the process till no more dried up ink gunk came out.

After this procedure, the pen has worked like a charm. No difficulty starting, or with the ink-flow skipping in the midst of writing a sentence.

Hello Woverine1 - I realize this is an old thread but I recently purchased a Parker 100 because I LOVE the design, despite hearing of ink flow issues and my issues seem less severe than the original poster, but I do have ink flow issues and I was wondering if the rubber bulb you mentioned was a FP tool or actually pharmacy purchase. Also to clarify - your friend removed the nib section from the barrel and forced water through the feed from the end of the section that connects to the barrel?

Thanks in advance.

Bill