11 replies to this topic

#1 mr goldfink

mr goldfink

Antique

• Away
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,608 posts

Posted 10 April 2009 - 13:38

Quite a nice find in the wild, a Chilton pen with high quality detailing and wonderful supple celluloid.

Note the odd mohican on the cap top which I understand is called the quill!! And the shield on the reverse of the cap for having initials engraved.
The large Wahl nib has a teardrop scored in it mirroring the engraving plate on the cap. The pen has a metal tube inside and this creates suction though it appears to require a diaphragm to be fitted. Need to work that one out still...

Thanks to Tom for identifying the pen. Looks like this was my latest sumgai moment (long overdue)!!!

mg

Edited by mr goldfink, 10 April 2009 - 15:03.

Click on the link below to check out my pen blog with loads of photos of Pelikans, UHUs and other rare treats...

http://mrgoldfink.blogspot.com/

#2 OldGriz

OldGriz

I Assimilated The Borg

• Member - Remembered fondly
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,163 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 10 April 2009 - 13:53

QUOTE (mr goldfink @ Apr 10 2009, 09:38 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Quite a nice find in the wild. A Wahl pen with high quality detailing and wonderful supple celluloid. Note the odd mohican on the cap top!! And the shield on the reverse of the cap for having initials engraved.
The large Wahl nib has a teardrop scored in it mirroring the engraving plate on the cap. The pen has a metal tube inside and this creates suction though it appears to require a diaphragm to be fitted. Need to work that one out still...

Not sure at all of the model. Anyone able to provide a model name and some background about it? Seeems to be a high quality pen but then most Wahl pens were. I am quite smitten with it.

Thanks in advance...

mg

That is not a Wahl... even though it has a Wahl nib..
That is a Conklin Golden Quill... a rather rare and highly collectible pen...
I recently sold a matched pair of these at last year's Columbus show for a very nice price...I
I got the pens on eBay and Richard Binder did the restoration and found an appropriate nib (albeit not an original Quill nib) for the pen....

Yours appears to be in excellent condition and you might want to contact Richard about finding an appropriate Conklin nib for the pen..
If you want more information about value, please contact me back channel...
Here's a picture of the pair I sold
[attachment=49377:Quill1.jpg]

Edited by OldGriz, 10 April 2009 - 13:57.

TomPosted Image
A veteran is someone who wrote a blank check Made payable to 'The United States of America ' for an amount of 'up to and including my life.'
That is Honor, and there are way too many people in This country who no longer understand it.

#3 Johnny Appleseed

Johnny Appleseed

Collector of Eclectic Knowledge

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,791 posts

Posted 10 April 2009 - 16:07

Come on Tom - you can't mention that pair without mentioning the fact you picked them up on ebay for about $10. They were listed without manufacturer, so flew under everyones radar. That one won the sumgai of the year award!

And I think you mean Chilton nib.

Also try Rick Krantz, he is a good person to go to for all things Chilton. In fact, he should be popping in here in a post or two. . .

John
So if you have a lot of ink,
You should get a Yink, I think.

- Dr Suess

Always looking for pens by Baird-North, Charles Ingersoll, and nibs marked "CHI"

#4 mr goldfink

mr goldfink

Antique

• Away
  • 2,608 posts

Posted 10 April 2009 - 16:13

Hey John-the nib is a rather fetching large Wahl albeit it shares the teardrop motif of the Chilton pen it has been fitted to.

The similarity of the nib motif to the teardrop design of the pen led me to assume the pen was a Wahl.

Cheers

Azad

Click on the link below to check out my pen blog with loads of photos of Pelikans, UHUs and other rare treats...

#5 OldGriz

OldGriz

I Assimilated The Borg

• 9,163 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 10 April 2009 - 16:17

QUOTE (Johnny Appleseed @ Apr 10 2009, 12:07 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Come on Tom - you can't mention that pair without mentioning the fact you picked them up on ebay for about $10. They were listed without manufacturer, so flew under everyones radar. That one won the sumgai of the year award!

And I think you mean Chilton nib.

Also try Rick Krantz, he is a good person to go to for all things Chilton. In fact, he should be popping in here in a post or two. . .

John

DUH!!!!!! gaah.gif wallbash.gif I did say Conklin didn't I....
That's what I get for answering threads before the coffee fully kicks in
Of course it is a Chilton Golden Quill.....
TomPosted Image
A veteran is someone who wrote a blank check Made payable to 'The United States of America ' for an amount of 'up to and including my life.'
That is Honor, and there are way too many people in This country who no longer understand it.

#6 Johnny Appleseed

Johnny Appleseed

Collector of Eclectic Knowledge

• Member - Gold

• 3,791 posts

Posted 10 April 2009 - 16:35

QUOTE (mr goldfink @ Apr 10 2009, 09:13 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hey John-the nib is a rather fetching large Wahl albeit it shares the teardrop motif of the Chilton pen it has been fitted to.

The similarity of the nib motif to the teardrop design of the pen led me to assume the pen was a Wahl.

Cheers

Azad

Azad,

That makes perfect sense, especially because the Golden Quill was made without any Chilton imprint at all. Even the nib was imprinted with the image of a quill, not the name Chilton or anything else. It was stealth marketing to be sure. I perfectly understand why you would have thought it some model of Wahl.

I was responding to Tom's FS where he called it a "Conklin" Golden Quill.

Awesome find, btw. I don't know if your sumgai was as good as that pair Tom picked up for $10 or so, but congrats!

DUH!!!!!! I did say Conklin didn't I....
That's what I get for answering threads before the coffee fully kicks in
Of course it is a Chilton Golden Quill.....

Got to keep up. By 9:53 I am on my third cup!

John
So if you have a lot of ink,
You should get a Yink, I think.

- Dr Suess

Always looking for pens by Baird-North, Charles Ingersoll, and nibs marked "CHI"

#7 Titivillus

Titivillus

Museum Piece

• Away
  • 9,881 posts

Posted 10 April 2009 - 16:36

Love the shield inset opposite the clip. I'm assuming that's where your initials would go.

K

#8 OldGriz

OldGriz

I Assimilated The Borg

• 9,163 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 10 April 2009 - 16:41

QUOTE (Johnny Appleseed @ Apr 10 2009, 12:35 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Got to keep up. By 9:53 I am on my third cup!

John

GEEZ, you sleep in one morning and start your coffee late and get all kinds of abuse roflmho.gif
I have usually finished off a 10 cup pot by 10AM....
Today I slept in for a change... of course the noise of my daughter having a friend over for a sleep over made getting to sleep a bit harder.. gaah.gif
But they are good kids, so I make due on those occasions... thumbup.gif
TomPosted Image

#9 Wolverine1

Wolverine1

Donor Pen

• Member - Gold

• 3,425 posts

Posted 10 April 2009 - 18:39

Azad- please tell us how and where you made this "sumgai" find!!! Congrats smile.gif

#10 mr goldfink

mr goldfink

Antique

• Away
  • 2,608 posts

Posted 10 April 2009 - 19:36

Hi Sid - it was at a recent online pen auction. The pen was just one of 8 that I went for in a lot purchase solely because I saw a nice Tibaldi among the group (was hoping it was vintage but turns out its a modern limited edition). The rest including the curious burgundy pen were mostly decent looking pens but ultimately just extras so I did ok! Turns out that burgundy pen was the best of the lot, huh!

#11 PaulLeMay

PaulLeMay

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,061 posts

Posted 10 April 2009 - 19:59

Very Cool! Nice find.

#12 mr goldfink

mr goldfink

Antique

• Away
  • 2,608 posts

Posted 11 April 2009 - 20:56

Thanks, Paul. A most pleasant surprise it was too...