Visconti Blue (van gogh)

declanh

The ink under review is Visconti Blue (van gogh). Im not a huge fan of blues and dont often write with blue but I had a hankering for something bright and stand-out-ish.

Ordered a bottle of Visconti blue last week from the writing desk which arrived today.

The ink bottle is plastic and tall - good from the perspective of least ink wasted - but more likely to topple in my opinion.

I loaded up my newly acquired Lamy 2000 (Broad) with Visconti and tried it it [This pen has been an ink slut since I got it :-) ]

First impressions are great - i love the vibrancy of this ink, its juicy but in a good way with this pen. Dry time is bearable for me with this wet nib (prob 30 seconds) but i imagine its a lot faster with a narrower or drier nib.

There is some shading but not that much given how saturated this is..

Just for fun I thought I would jot down a lot of the epithets used to rate either inks or pens and label them, I possibly made one or two up myself.

Based on my tags I rate this as

D,F,K,Q,N,Z,ZB

http://i677.photobucket.com/albums/vv131/declankh/visconti_scan.jpg

Edited by declanh

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• declanh

• memphislawyer

• Will

• Ondina

I like your approach to this review, and the ink looks great, too. The shading looks pretty impressive to me, without falling into the trap of looking watered down.

Any water resistance? How much does a bottle of this run?

I like your approach to this review, and the ink looks great, too. The shading looks pretty impressive to me, without falling into the trap of looking watered down.

Any water resistance? How much does a bottle of this run?

Not tried water resistance yet

Should have clarified this is visconti van gogh blue

it can be got from the writing desk for 3.45 uk pounds + postage - which i think is a pretty decent price.

http://www.thewritingdesk.co.uk/showproduc...t=ink&subr=

I use this ink in a pen that doesn't flow very well. The Visconti Van Gogh blue makes it possible for me to use this pen and enjoy writing with it. I find the color has a good deal of "jump out at you" factor, for lack of a better phrase this morning. I enjoy it's luxurious smoothness. I'd like to have more inks with the smooth-writing qualities that this one has.

Thanks very much for the creative review!

Edited by Gran

May you have pens you enjoy, with plenty of paper and ink. :)

Please use only my FPN name "Gran" in your posts. Thanks very much!

Gran,

I agree - lovely ink, lovely colour.

Declanh,

Thanks for the review, and the intriguing epithets.

ps Getting at the ink can be a pain when part-way through the bottle, but now I have aquired an empty MB bottle which I think is quite the perfect ink bottle.

Chris

Great review and a very nice colour. Another blue for the wishlist. Is Viconti Van Gogh ink different from the normal Visconti ink or is it just different packaging?

Edited by GeeTee

Great review and a very nice colour. Another blue for the wishlist. Is Viconti Van Gogh ink different from the normal Visconti ink or is it just diffent packaging?

That i dont know. The van gogh version is in a plastic bottle and is certainaly a lot cheaper - but that could be down to the packaging.

No doubt someone will be along shortly to clarify ....

I also wanted to know the difference between the Visconti and the Visconti Van Gogh in blue, as the VG is cheaper. Love the color.

• 3 months later...

i was able to try this ink today and fell in love with it. i'm ordering some right ...........

....... now (13 min. later)!!!!!!

Edited by lovemy51

Love the bottles. Does anyone know why Visc put plastic bots in the pen package. For eg my Van Gogh and Opera are plastic ink bots and I think it cheapens the whole deal.

Thanks

It's a fantastic ink - my favourite blue by far. Its only Achilles heel is lack of water resistance.

Man, I really like this ink, no small thanks to your review. I can really see that ink. However, I really think the k for elegance has nothing to do with the ink. Any idea on water resistance?

Stevo

My got to blue! Well behaved, vibrant and dries fairly quickly. And as my wife say's it's Italian you can't go wrong!

PMS

When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty -Thomas Jefferson

• 1 year later...

following up on my own review since I got a PM about usage of this ink.

I'm finding that i dont use it too much since this ink is very prone to smudging even when completely dry.

I find handling the paper even days later can cause the ink to come off on your fingers and potentially smudge too.

this maybe be related to the dryness of my hands but if it is i dont have particularly clammy hands - anyone else have this issue.

I have learned that one must be extremely thorough in cleaning your pen out after using this ink. It seems to want to hang around more so than most inks I have used.

Current Favorite Pens: Aurora Talentum, Pelikan Polar Lights and Bexley 10th Anniversary