Dearest Friends and Visitors of the Fountain Pen Network,
We have started implementing the changes we promised here: Upcoming Changes To FPN
Please do read the linked message above.

Photo

Noodlers Manjiro Nakahama Whaleman's Sepia

• Please log in to reply
60 replies to this topic

#1 penguinmaster

penguinmaster

----------------------

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,181 posts

Posted 20 March 2009 - 18:36

The color matches on my screen, may be a shade or two off on your screen depending on thousands of variables!

My Site: Pens and Ink

Philip Hull Memories Scan

Looking for: ...

#2 ntheo

ntheo

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 113 posts

Posted 20 March 2009 - 19:14

This looks very much like gray on my monitor... blink.gif

#3 darrenimo

darrenimo

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 371 posts

Posted 20 March 2009 - 19:20

It's not just yours...

#4 penguinmaster

penguinmaster

----------------------

• Member - Gold

• 2,181 posts

Posted 20 March 2009 - 19:53

My impression of the ink staring at it in real life is it's a gray with purple hints. So that's probably be close to right!

Regards,

Tom

#5 HDoug

HDoug

First Class Forever

• Moderators

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,724 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 20 March 2009 - 20:26

I'm using Nakahama Manjiro today. The ink, not the person. Maybe I can get some scans in later if I write something without any juicy personal content. But just wanted to chime in to say that color-wise, Nakahama is the color of poi. The stuff made from kalo (taro) they serve at luaus. It's a purple brown that looks purple on some paper and brown on others depending on the lighting. The really entertaining thing is that it goes on purple and dries in a few seconds to brown.

Doug

#6 Melnicki

Melnicki

M.Melnicki

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 994 posts

Posted 20 March 2009 - 22:54

i have written samples sent from hdoug and from annie, and it looks nothing like how the above scan appears on my monitor (which indeed looks grey). My written samples look red at first sight. kind of what i'd consider a red-brown. the purplishness is there but you have to use your imagination a lot. same for the grey. it's kind of like a grey version of wine??? weird color, looks absolutely lovely. i'll get it once i break my ink moratorium, but right now i'm going to try really hard to actually empty a bottle before getting anything new. (how long do you think i'll last?!)

Click for Ink Scans!!

WTB: (Blemished OK)
CdA Dunas // Stipulas! (esp w/ Titanio nib) // Edison Pearl

#7 cmenice

cmenice

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 908 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 20 March 2009 - 23:01

I just got some of this stuff today. When wet it looks brown-sepia-ish. When dried it looks like dirty motor oil. Unfortunately for me I prefer the wet color.

It seems to be well behaved and good flowing though.

Edited by cmenice, 20 March 2009 - 23:02.

#8 penguinmaster

penguinmaster

----------------------

• Member - Gold

• 2,181 posts

Posted 20 March 2009 - 23:02

I did shake the bottle real good, re-inked the pen and wrote another few words. It looks the same as in the scan above, maybe I got a bad bottle! It's from the second batch jetpens got in.

-Tom

#9 cmenice

cmenice

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 908 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 20 March 2009 - 23:42

QUOTE (Melnicki @ Mar 20 2009, 06:54 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
i have written samples sent from hdoug and from annie, and it looks nothing like how the above scan appears on my monitor (which indeed looks grey). My written samples look red at first sight. kind of what i'd consider a red-brown. the purplishness is there but you have to use your imagination a lot. same for the grey. it's kind of like a grey version of wine??? weird color, looks absolutely lovely. i'll get it once i break my ink moratorium, but right now i'm going to try really hard to actually empty a bottle before getting anything new. (how long do you think i'll last?!)

Mine doesn't have any red crybaby.gif and barely any brown. Wonder if I got a bum bottle. That would probably mean both my bottles are bum bottles. I'm going to try it on some other papers and see what happens.

either way, I actually like the color the way it is. Of course I wouldn't mind having some that looks like the sample on jetpens.com

Edit: I tried the ink on some other papers (Apica, Rhodia, Ampad). Still looks like dirty motor oil when dry.

Edited by cmenice, 20 March 2009 - 23:54.

#10 Goodwhiskers

Goodwhiskers

Certified language nut

• Member - Gold

• 2,117 posts

Posted 21 March 2009 - 00:53

This looks like a useful color for medical prescriptions, classroom attendance and grade rosters, and other handwritten documents that someone might be tempted to alter by writing over or adding marks/dots/letter strokes/letters/words. It is a unique color that probably isn't available in a disposable (or disposable-refill) pen.

I recall a post a while back in which a doctor said he was going to try R&K Scabiosa (a little lighter and blacker than eggplant skin) on his prescription pad because it was different from anything in a disposable pen. Noodler's Manjiro Nakahama Whaleman's Sepia looks like another one for this list!

#11 PenTieRun

PenTieRun

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 1,644 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 26 March 2009 - 02:21

Wow! What variety here. I just got a bottle from Jet Pens and it's a lovely dusty brown color for me. No red or purple. It dries to the same color that it goes on wet.

I tried the bleach test and it was fun to watch it quickly turn to a bright red.

#12 loweevan

loweevan

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 337 posts

Posted 26 March 2009 - 04:58

I just got a bottle today too. A dirty motor oil seems to be the most accurate description so far. It reminds me of a mud that one might find in or near the ocean. I don't see purple in it on white paper, even though it's clearly there -- you can see it come off if you rinse the paper under the faucet.
- Evan

#13 HDoug

HDoug

First Class Forever

• Moderators

• 3,724 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 26 March 2009 - 07:29

Here are a couple of scans I posted in other threads about the ink. I throught I'd post them here also for reference since this is a review thread.

This is on white Clairefontaine -- kinda purple:

And here a close up on Kunst & Papier off-white paper:

I like the color but it doesn't match the scan or some of the descriptions so far. I don't know if the variability is between batches, bottles, or eyeballs. I like the ink and have been using it to write letters asking, "is this brown or purple?" Some see brown, some see purple...

Doug

#14 penguinmaster

penguinmaster

----------------------

• Member - Gold

• 2,181 posts

Posted 26 March 2009 - 12:57

I'm gonna give this one another shot today. Shake the bottle up really good to see if it was a different batch or error the two times before. The weird thing is that in the bottle it looks nice and brown like people are suggesting, once on paper though, I get the color you see.

Also I want to try it on some different papers to see if that effects it. I'm guessing it won't though!

Thanks for adding in some of the other scans though, maybe it will give people some idea of the range they might encounter when buying this ink.

Regards,

Tom

#15 cmenice

cmenice

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 908 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 26 March 2009 - 14:18

I've tried my bottle on different papers and the ink pretty much looks the same on all of them. When wet, it's a muddy brownish motor oil color. When dry, the brown goes away and it's almost like a dull dark dirty motor oil. I also found that I can mix this ink with water in a 1:1 ratio. This seems to allow more shading, but I still don't really see much or any purple. When I tried bleach the ink turned a cranberry like color. Not red at all.

#16 Firefyter-Emt

Firefyter-Emt

Fountain Pen Snob

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 679 posts

Posted 27 March 2009 - 00:26

Well, I always shake my ink too, and I have to go with dirty motor oil. To me, it appears as a variant of a thin black over a sepia brown or redish purple. I had expected much more of a reddish color looking at the Jet-Pens page with the swabs of color, although I should of read it better. Although on my screen the red tone is heavily present looking at the close up of the bottle. Mine is dead brown like Hershey's chocolate brown and does not look anything at all like the bottle of ink on Jet-Pens website.

It's not a bad color, and as stated it does behave very nice, although it is just not what I expected when I saw the original review.

Here is the photo on Jet-Pens:

Here is my bottle:

PS: the lighting is a hair bright, but on my screen, the ink portion of the bottle is just what the ink color looks like when looking at the bottle.

Edited by Firefyter-Emt, 27 March 2009 - 00:30.

“If you want your children to improve, let them overhear the nice things you say about them to others.” ~Dr. Haim Ginott

Posted Image Posted Image

My Website

#17 Breck

Breck

Why do I ever stray from Bustelo?

• Member - Gold

• 1,422 posts

Posted 27 March 2009 - 01:38

Cool. Want.

That is not the color I anticipated, but it looks fascinating.

#18 HDoug

HDoug

First Class Forever

• Moderators

• 3,724 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 27 March 2009 - 02:00

Curiouser and curiouser. Here's my bottle.

Doug

#19 loweevan

loweevan

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 337 posts

Posted 27 March 2009 - 04:41

Wow, just looking at those three bottles shows an amazing difference. Mine looks like Firefyter's. I guess in the right light it looks like a sepia, but it certainly doesn't come anything near a sienna. I'm really starting to wish that I'd had more than the 64-color crayon box growing up. Ha! I'll see if I can get around to putting up some scans from my bottle this weekend.
- Evan

#20 BladeArcher

BladeArcher

Sailor Pen Nut

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 89 posts

Posted 27 March 2009 - 05:23

I have some that just shipped. Will let you know my color impressions when it arrives.

/Blade

#21 cmenice

cmenice

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 908 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 27 March 2009 - 10:11

My guess is that Doug has a bottle from the first batch. Jet pens probably took photos and made samples of the first batch.

Everyone who got the second batch(me, emt, penguinmaster?), well it's obviously different. It doesn't even match what Jet-pens has. That's my explanation of what's going on. I knew there could be some variation in batches of Noodler's Ink, but that much?

#22 loweevan

loweevan

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 337 posts

Posted 28 March 2009 - 19:31

My ink seems to look more like Penguinmaster's and not at all like HDoug's. The difference is that where PM's seems to have a purple cast to it, mine is very distinctly just brown/muddy. This ink seems nearly impossible to represent accurately in scan or photograph, but I've made an attempt:

white paper:

molskine:

The stub helped me come up with what I think best represents the ink that consistently comes from my bottle (JetPen's second stock). If you have ever picked up a Chestnut that has fallen in Autumn and had your hands stained by the ... whatever it is that they excrete, this ink looks sort of like that. When it's concentrated with ball nibs, it's difficult to pick out the brown, but it seems like a dusty just-plain medium brown. The purple undertones are there, but are really difficult to discern. That is, until it smears or gets wet. In short, the color is a little muddy. It's a "brown", not a sienna/burnt sienna. I don't know what "sepia" is supposed to mean and I wish I had had larger than the 64-color crayon box growing up, as that would be helpful in pinning this one down. When you put Whaleman's on an ivory colored résumé/cotton paper, the color really comes out. The brown becomes more chestnut, less dusty, and more vibrant. It still doesn't "pop," but it's a brown themed on whaling and I don't think it's supposed to, nor that it should.

I've had some start up issues with all pens in which it's inked. But, once it starts, the flow is pretty good even though the ink feels thick. It dries quickly on the paper when thin, taking a little longer with a really wet line. It's not the easiest ink I've had to rinse out of a pen, but it comes out fine after awhile. If you soak the nib in a glass of water, the ink that swims out and eventually settles on the bottom does look like a squid's ink, but this doesn't seem to transfer to paper -- at least for me.

If you don't like inks that have an odor to them, do not buy this. It smells coming out of the bottle, off the nib, and moderately from the paper (but only if you really put your nose up to it, and who does that?).

I was a little put off with the inconsistency after first trying this ink, but I've come to like it quite a bit.

NB) my bottle was shaken rather vigorously prior to inking these pens.

- Evan

#23 PenTieRun

PenTieRun

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 1,644 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 29 March 2009 - 03:26

Mine looks exactly like loweevan's post above. Jetpens 2nd batch. I like it, though.

#24 BladeArcher

BladeArcher

Sailor Pen Nut

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 89 posts

Posted 29 March 2009 - 07:59

QUOTE (PenTieRun @ Mar 28 2009, 11:26 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Mine looks exactly like loweevan's post above. Jetpens 2nd batch. I like it, though.

I just received mine today, and it looks exactly like Loweevan's as well. If you think of the color of a vintage sepia photograph, that comes close to approxiamting the color of this ink; hence the name. It certainly isn't flashy by any means, but it does have a nice antique-looking quality that gives the written word an extra bit of class. It has a rather stong chemically smell, but only if you get right up close to it. I put mine in a Parker Duofold with fine point (medium by my standards), and it writes very nicely. I'll be trialing this ink for the next few days. I like it from the short useage so far.

regards,
Blade Archer
P.S. Rather than shake these bottles, I just stand them on their head a little while before inking. That way anything that has settled to the bottom gets mixed as the bottle is inverted for filling. Avoids annoying shake bubbles, since the bottle is filled to the brim.

Edited by BladeArcher, 29 March 2009 - 08:02.

#25 PenTieRun

PenTieRun

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 1,644 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 29 March 2009 - 11:51

Yes! "Antique-looking quality" is the perfect description, and the ink really is anything but flashy. If you're into writing today what look like it was written a century ago, then this is your ink.

QUOTE (BladeArcher @ Mar 29 2009, 03:59 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE (PenTieRun @ Mar 28 2009, 11:26 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I just received mine today, and it looks exactly like Loweevan's as well. If you think of the color of a vintage sepia photograph, that comes close to approxiamting the color of this ink; hence the name. It certainly isn't flashy by any means, but it does have a nice antique-looking quality that gives the written word an extra bit of class. It has a rather stong chemically smell, but only if you get right up close to it. I put mine in a Parker Duofold with fine point (medium by my standards), and it writes very nicely. I'll be trialing this ink for the next few days. I like it from the short useage so far.

regards,
Blade Archer
P.S. Rather than shake these bottles, I just stand them on their head a little while before inking. That way anything that has settled to the bottom gets mixed as the bottle is inverted for filling. Avoids annoying shake bubbles, since the bottle is filled to the brim.

#26 QM2

QM2

• Member - Gold

• 4,875 posts

Posted 29 March 2009 - 12:23

On the scans posted here, it looks like the colour is similar to Herbin Cacao de Bresil. Does anybody have both, and could comment?

#27 cmenice

cmenice

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 908 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 29 March 2009 - 20:54

QUOTE (QM2 @ Mar 29 2009, 08:23 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
On the scans posted here, it looks like the colour is similar to Herbin Cacao de Bresil. Does anybody have both, and could comment?

I thought exactly as you. I don't have a scan of them, but the Whaleman sepia is almost the exact color. Whaleman sepia comes out slightly darker for me. But otherwise pretty much the same color.

#28 QM2

QM2

• Member - Gold

• 4,875 posts

Posted 29 March 2009 - 21:13

QUOTE (cmenice @ Mar 29 2009, 10:54 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE (QM2 @ Mar 29 2009, 08:23 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I thought exactly as you. I don't have a scan of them, but the Whaleman sepia is almost the exact color. Whaleman sepia comes out slightly darker for me. But otherwise pretty much the same color.

The same but slightly darker (and I assume more saturated) sounds perfect. Must get!

#29 all my hues

all my hues

Our Lady of Shadows

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 465 posts

Posted 29 March 2009 - 23:02

Mine looks like an ugly version of Galileo Brown. Thank goodness I'm trading it off tongue.gif Hopefully the other person will likes it.

#30 loweevan

loweevan

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 337 posts

Posted 29 March 2009 - 23:11

QUOTE (all my hues @ Mar 29 2009, 07:02 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Mine looks like an ugly version of Galileo Brown. Thank goodness I'm trading it off tongue.gif Hopefully the other person will likes it.

did you try really shaking it up? I can make out a big difference in mine after doing so -- it actually looks brown!
- Evan