Green pens?

Caboose

Okay, now that my quest for a (first) red pen has come to an end, I must start out on a similar search for the perfect green instrument.

Here’s what I’m going to have to be talked out of:

Pelikan M425 fueled by Noodler’s Gruene Cactus. I am truly becoming a fan of the Pelikans, but the standard varieties (striped barrel) just don’t quite do it for me, hence my current arsenal of the “Chicago” and M625. Now, both of those are 600 series size, and very comfortable to me. I don’t mean to turn this into the oft-repeated thread about Pelikan size comparison, but felt it necessary to mention it since the M425 is smaller. That may be the thing that throws the M425 out of the race for me.

There, now have at it! You’ve all proven how good you are at helping someone spend their money :o . Here are the criteria:

Green as the predominant color

SILVER furniture

Not too large (probably below M800 size)

Not too flashy

Thanks in advance for what I know will be a plethora of fine suggestions,

Cheers, Dean

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Caboose

• amin

• Stephen-I-am

• Kelly

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Dean,

The first pens that come to mind are from Laban - sort of mid-range here - but lovely pens nonetheless and smooth writers! Both shots are from Wood N Dreams pen www.wndpens.com (usual disclaimer, super customer service) I have a Celebration in Panther Swirl and was so impressed by the quality of this pen, I can't tell you - beautiful resin, well made, and the cap fits like a gem. Unbelievable for under $50

1) Laban Celebration in Jade Green resin

http://www.wndpens.com/laban/rn-f688-jg.jpg

2) Laban Mentor in Coral Green resin

http://www.wndpens.com/laban/rn-f888-cog.jpg

Also Conway Stewart makes some gems that you can gander at (probably already have) at Richard's site.

Another personal fave is the Taccia Imperial Portuguese in Forest Marble but might not have enough green for your liking.

I must say though that my true vote is for the Pelikan 425. I adore the look of that pen and if I didn't have to sell one of my kids to buy it, it would be mine...mine I tell you! Mine! :lol:

And as for an ink (because we know that post is coming next! :) ) - try the Noodler's Hunter Green - bulletproof and gorgeous!!

A hot wind was blowing around my head, the strands of my hair lifting and swirling in it, like ink spilled in water. ~ Margaret Atwood, The Blind Assassin

Kelly,

Thanks for the input. I'm beginning to think that, between your taste in pens (including your aversion to gold) and your appreciation for chocolate, we may be long lost siblings :P

I will definitely check out those Labans. At that price point, and with that nice styling, they're certainly worth a go. I've looked briefly at the Conway Stewarts but didn't immediately see a silver-furnished one in a good green.

I am going to have to "ask the audience" (sorry for the tasteless "Millionaire" reference) about the M600 vs. M400 size thing. Of course, the green pen will not be a real regular, long duration user, so the size may be fine. I sure do like that M425.

How did you know the green ink question was lurking out there? ;)

Dean

Conway Stewart can make any pen you want with silver trim - all you have to do is ask. And, while it may be a special order, it doesn't cost a penny more.

I've ordered Conway Stewarts direct for many customers, and the CS production and shipping are very fast. So, while you may have to use your imagination to visualize the pen, it most certainly is available to you. That's one of the many nice things about Conway Stewart.

Also, there's a "musk" colored Van Gogh you might want to check out - green, silver trim. Relatively inexpensive.

James P.

Edited by James P

So here's what happened
While you were nappin'
I just went out for a snack
I was feelin' famished
And then I vanished...
But now I'm back

James,

Thanks very much, that's great information. Now that I've got a Bexley on the way, I would like to eventually add a CS to the mix.

Dean

If you're not attached to new pens you could scope out a nice green Esterbrook J model. Stainless trim and a wide pallette of nib options. And they remain very affordable!

A pen a day keeps the doctor away...

Parker "51" flighter; Parker 75 cisele; Conway Stewart Dandy Demonstrator; Aurora 88P chrome; Sailor Sapporo ; Lamy 2000; Lamy 27 double L; Lamy Studio; Pilot Murex; Pilot Sesenta (Red/Grey); Pilot Capless (black carbonesque); Pilot Custom 74 Demonstrator; Pilot Volex; Waterman Expert 2000 (slate blue)

Kelly,

Thanks for the input. I'm beginning to think that, between your taste in pens (including your aversion to gold) and your appreciation for chocolate, we may be long lost siblings :P

:lol: :roflmho: Too true...you know my parents did want to have another child after me... and as true as I love fountain pens, I had the nickname Caboose as I was theirs :D

As for the Labans - they're a pretty sweet deal and I just noticed that the photo shows a shadow that makes the pens appear to have facets and as far as I know they both are smooth barreled (for sure the Celebration is but doubole check on the Mentor if you are seriously interested)

I'm glad someone mentioned that CS' can be ordered in silver as well. I used to write them off because their silver grouping were so slim but when I heard about this tidbit, my pocketbook winced. I love that green/red swirl number :drool:

And I know Taccia is set to release some new pens at the end of next month. You never know if another cool green is lurking around the corner :)

best,

your twin, Kelly :lol:

A hot wind was blowing around my head, the strands of my hair lifting and swirling in it, like ink spilled in water. ~ Margaret Atwood, The Blind Assassin

I was the "caboose" in the family as well. 2 older sisters, 7 and 10 years older. Dad wanted a son, so they tried once more and got their wish. Hmmm, maybe they just figured 2 girls were enough and gave you to those gypsies they were always talking about. :o

I'm seriously thinking about the Labans. I did notice that before your last post that the picture of the Mentor looks like it has a flat spot. I'll check it out, although I'm not totally opposed to that. I'm assuming they are steel nibs (gotta' be at that price point). But you did say they were good writers. I think I'll go look up a source. With that news about the Conway-Stewart silver trim availability, I'm pretty sure I'm going to find one of those I can't live without. Maybe not a green one, but something orange-ish or tortoise-ish might fill in a blank I didn't know I had ;) .

Taccia huh?........ Jeeez, I'm wearing out my web browser today.... not to mention the pen fund.

Thanks for all the fun suggestions.

Your twin, Dean

Edited by Caboose

Hi,

I like green pens. In this category I would love having an Omas D Day: it's green and it's an Omas.

http://www.airlineintl.com/omas/img/omas_dday2.jpg

(Pic from Airline International)

Some time ago I bought this green green green Morton from Lex Villines. It is fantastic!

medium.jpg

Another green green pen I have and I love (it is one of the few MIB pens I have) is this Aurora that celebrates the 500 years of the discovery of Brazil.

medium.jpg

Maybe this Dani Trio Brillante qualifies as green. It is a magnificent looking pen anyway.

medium.jpg

Filcao's Pentrace Limited Edition (2004) is also a green pen. It has the advantage of offering three nibs (F, M and B).

medium.jpg

(Pic from Pentrace)

Finally, another Omas. This is my Saft Green, but the one I have is the GF model. Fantastic cellulloid.

medium.jpg

(Pic stolen from the Web)

Depending on your budget for the green pen and on your choice between modern and vintage, I would go for a Morton or for an Omas.

Enjoy!

Alejandro

Visconti Aida: green/blue beautiful celluloid

http://www.giardino.it/pens/visconti/IMMAGINI/AidaAper.jpg

Delta Papillon

http://www.giardino.it/pens/delta/IMMAGINI/PapillonVE.jpg

Jaguar (by Aquila) in deep green resin

http://www.giardino.it/pens/jaguar/IMMAGINI/JaguarVeScST.jpg

Susanna
----------
Giardino Italiano, il meglio del Made in Italy - www.giardino.it - www.pens.it

My Facebook page
My Blog: blog.giardino.it

Oh - I forgot to mention the Bexley Armed Services Pen (Army edition). It's available either with a steel nib or an 18K gold one.

http://www.bexleypen.com/images/armedforces.jpg

Oh, never mind - it has gold trim. Sorry!

James

So here's what happened
While you were nappin'
I just went out for a snack
I was feelin' famished
And then I vanished...
But now I'm back

Thanks for the great ideas...... even the ones with gold trim ;) . I'm going to check out those Labans, Conway Stewarts, Filcaos, Omas' and Viscontis....Really have 'er narrowed down don't I ? :rolleyes:

Cheers, Dean

I am also going to recommend a Sheaffer Balance II. I understand the Balance series is not to everyone's liking, but they are good pens. I have one in a green that is deep, rich and shimmers in the light. - That said, I do not have scanning capabilities to provide you a picture.

I have mine outfitted with a Sheafer stub nib that writes a nice broad line with good line variation. It is in my regular rotation and I am very happy with it.

Good luck with your decision.

Stephen,

I hadn't noticed that one yet. It's goy my interest piqued. I looked at the Duros on Richard's (Binder) site, but it didn't catch my eye because of the gold trim, but, from what I understand, all CS pens can be ordered with the silver furniture.I like the somewhat different green color.

Hmmmmmm, off to do a little more investigation.

Thanks for the suggestion, Dean

They can be ordered with silver trim (actually rhodium); I have a 58 on order configured this way.

Note that a regular classic green duro will not look the same as the sterling duro due to the way light is reflected off of the silver underneath the resin. Also, it weighs 68 grams.

Stephen

Current Favorite Inks

Noodlers La Reine Mauve Noodlers Walnut

Thank you for mentioning that. I was looking at the standard Duro. Is the Sterling Duro much harder to find?

Dean

I'm not sure, but I'd imagine that most people don't stock it; it would probably have to be ordered by a Conway Stewart authorized retailer and shipped over from England. Kevin offers a good price at internetpens.net.

Stephen

Current Favorite Inks

Noodlers La Reine Mauve Noodlers Walnut