Targa marked "125 years 1866-1991"

rogerb

I just got a mint stainless-bodied Targa, with what appears to be a smooth Medium GP nib? It's 'gold-coloured' but only has Sheaffer USA, a circled R and a tiny stamped symbol which I can't make-out (a tree, a scorpion??) on it, so I assumed it's not 14/18Ct.

But the interesting thing to me was the cap which has, on the end an 'extra cap' marked "125 years 1866-1891". No papers, of course.

Can anyone throw any light on this? Just interested .

If you make people think they're thinking, they'll love you; But if you really make them think, they'll hate you.

Don Marquis

US humorist (1878 - 1937)

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• rogerb

• sexauerw

• Univer

• jar

This little symbol on the l/h side of the nib, on closer inspection, looks more like the letter 'S' on top, with what seems to be "PF" underneath?....not 100% sure, my 10x loupe (and my eyes) can't figger it!

It's a full-size Targa(not a slimline)....writes really nicely, too!

If you make people think they're thinking, they'll love you; But if you really make them think, they'll hate you.

Don Marquis

I just got a mint stainless-bodied Targa, with what appears to be a smooth Medium GP nib? It's 'gold-coloured' but only has Sheaffer USA, a circled R and a tiny stamped symbol which I can't make-out (a tree, a scorpion??) on it, so I assumed it's not 14/18Ct.

But the interesting thing to me was the cap which has, on the end an 'extra cap' marked "125 years 1866-1891". No papers, of course.

Can anyone throw any light on this? Just interested .

I assume that you meant 1866-1991.

Sounds like a corporate pen, my guess is some company celebrating its 125th anniversary. It was NOT Sheaffer though as they got started IIRC in 1912.

The problem is determining the company. The inscription is in English so it is most likely an English, American, Canadian or Australian company.

Yes, that was rather the the conclusion I'd come to, as W A Sheaffer wasn't born until 1867, I think, so it wasn't a celebration of his birth. A bit of a needle in a haystack job!

The nib marking is a bit puzzling, too.

Don Marquis

Yes, that was rather the the conclusion I'd come to, as W A Sheaffer wasn't born until 1867, I think, so it wasn't a celebration of his birth. A bit of a needle in a haystack job!

The nib marking is a bit puzzling, too.

I've edited the date, as you pointed-out, thanks.

It looks as if I paid a little over the odds, thinking it might be an 'interesting' pen, witha gold nib.....but it was being sold in aid of Cystic Fibrosis research, so I don't mind.

Edited by rogerb

Don Marquis

Hi Roger

With respect to the engraving, another vote here for some corporate anniversary commemoration.

With respect to the non-solid-gold nib: there were, apparently, gold plated nibs fitted to some Targas in some markets; here's an old thread in which the issue was discussed. (I've never seen such a nib in person.)

Cheers,

Jon

I've seen a pen like that before on eBay but didn't buy it. It was a corporate anniversary pen, I'm thinking Bank of England but I'm not absolutely positive. I just looked up when the Bank of England was founded and it was indeed 1866.

Bill Sexauer
http://bulk-share.slickpic.com/album/share/zyNIMDOgTcgMOO/5768697.0/org/p/PCA+++Logo+small.jpghttp://bulk-share.slickpic.com/album/share/zyNIMDOgTcgMOO/5768694.0/org/p/Blk+Pen+Society+Icon.jpghttp://bulk-share.slickpic.com/album/share/TE3TzMUAMMYyNM/8484890.0/300/p/CP04_Black_Legend%2C_Small.jpg
PCA Member since 2006

Sorry, double post

Edited by rogerb

Don Marquis

I've seen a pen like that before on eBay but didn't buy it. It was a corporate anniversary pen, I'm thinking Bank of England but I'm not absolutely positive. I just looked up when the Bank of England was founded and it was indeed 1866.

Thanks for the input...I think the B of E was founded in 1694...the search goes on!

How about The Royal Aeronautical Society or the ASPCA?

Don Marquis

Nestlé, maybe? They were founded in 1866 and there seems to be a "Nestlé 1866-1991" book: http://cgi.ebay.de/Jean-Heer-~-NESTLE-~-12...309123003r24369

DFDS was founded in 1866, too.

Edited by Silvermink

http://twitter.com/pawcelot

Vancouver Pen Club

Currently inked:

Montegrappa NeroUno Linea - J. Herbin Poussière de Lune //. Aurora Optima Demonstrator - Aurora Black // Varuna Rajan - Kaweco Green // TWSBI Vac 700R - Visconti Purple

Ah, well, having done my bit for the charity, I'll forget about it, unless someone happens to know which company produced a Targa to celebrate their 125th!

Thanks for the ideas....Nestlé, DFDS, RAeS, or ASPCA, or.......?

Don Marquis

Ooops, did it again...sorry.

Edited by rogerb

Don Marquis

• 3 years later...

Hi,

Might be a little bit late answer...

I just bought an exactly the same targa pen from ebay with the original box and cards.

It says "Presented with the compliments of the directors on the occation of the company's 125th anniversary. Britannic Assurance"

It's a British company base on Birmingham.

image:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/0es1v1dhlmq11ll/targa.jpg

Edited by chipa

lord, this is like sherlock holmes solving a case. but very interesting reading.... thanks.

rgds.

krishna.

ladies and gentlemen write with fountain pens only.

Thanks, chipa .... my curiosoity is satisfied :rolleyes:

Don Marquis

• 2 years later...

Hi, I just came across this forum, and I know it has been a while since anyone posted in this thread.

I have one of those pens, I'm not sure what you have exactly. I have the pen, in a presentation box, with a cardboard sleeve (with the Britannic logo and the 125 crest) and inside the box (with the pen) is a card saying "Presented with the compliments of the directors on the occasion of the Companies 125th anniversary".

I worked for the company at the time and everyone was treated to a family day out as well as receiving the pen as a gift.

I hope this gives some background.