Levenger Forest

Inka

My first ink review posted on this thread so I hope I get it properly named, so it gets put under Levenger and "Forest" in the alphabetical Ink Reviews listings.

The following is Levenger "Forest" cartridge ink, from the Levenger sampler pack of 16 cartridges in 12 colors [2 extra primaries, Cobalt Blue and Raven Black].

It is simply called "Forest", not called Forest Green; maybe because other companies already have greens by that name [idk]?

With St. Patricks' Day only 4 days away, it was time to try a green ink in my FP.

This is actually the very first time I've ever tried any green inks, in any fountain pens, and I had just two to choose from.

It's a nice deep, fairly dark true-green, minor feathering w/ some shading using a F+ nib.

It attempts to bleed-through 24# printer paper but only spotty, never fully going all the way through to the backside.

In the sampler, I have all 12 of Levengers' "current" ink colors, with only two of them being green.

The other Levenger green is called Gemstone Green and while I haven't tried it yet it looks lighter in color and far less saturated inside the cartridge.

I've seen samples and have heard observations from others on this ink, elsewhere on the forums, but didn't see it listed in the alphabetical thread and am unsure how to post it there.

Others have stated this ink takes time to dry, yet on this XEROX old-stock printer paper and on others I've tried it dries really fast, in @ 5 seconds.

I'd decided to make my first Ink Review Sheet and tell about what I see and how this ink acts in just one pen, since after all it is cartridge ink.

I apologize for my hand-writing, a bit rushed yesterday, yet while not up to my usual standard I think it's still legible enough for most to read.

I also don't have any Moleskine, so I can't comment on how it performs there.

http://i633.photobucket.com/albums/uu56/InkaFX/LevengerForestinkscan_Unedited.jpg

P.S.; After making this written example I'd examined my nib under 20X magnification and found the infrequent dry-starts were caused more by the nib tips of my pen being sprung closed.

I've never experienced dry starts while using Noodlers' inks, mostly because they're slicker than other inks, especially Polar Blue with it's Eel properties, so I was unsure if it was ink or nib.

Removing the large nib from my pen, holding it up to very bright light and looking through the slot, it became apparent the tip was completely closed and tines pressed together.

Using a .0025" feeler gauge [i don't have brass shims] I ran it between the tines and could feel just how incredibly tight the tip ends pressed against each other.

Once I'd adjusted the tips to the point where I could just barely notice light between the points, put the pen back together, re-inserted the Forest cartridge and the flow became perfect.

Not wanting to write this review all over again after getting the nib properly adjusted, I'm just adding the post script here so everyone knows the ink flows very well and it was my nib, not the ink.

It's not wet, it's not dry, so I'd place it somewhere in between in terms of flow and feel when writing with it, a well saturated green ink to be sure.

Edited by Inka

“I view my fountain pens & inks as an artist might view their brushes and paints.

They flow across paper as a brush to canvas, transforming my thoughts into words and my words into art.

There is nothing else like it; the art of writing and the painting of words!”

~Inka~ [scott]; 5 October, 2009

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Inka

• Ann Finley

• Tony the Tiger

• chkuo

Top Posters In This Topic

I really like this review format, thanks. I think I'll stick w/ PR Ebony Green and Diamine Emerald Green.

CURRENT STABLE:

(2) Danitrio Tac Carry II / Xezo Architect / (2)(1920's era) Redipoint Flex / Libelle Vortex / Orange LE Pilot VP/ Mont Blanc Classique 144 / Dunhill Sidecar / Pilot 823 Clear Demonstrator / TWSBI 580 / Stipula Passaporto LE / Kaweco Sport WISH LIST:

MB Boheme / Platinum Hammered Sterling Silver / Pelikan M800 (clear demo) / Stipula Da Vinci / Visconti Opera Master / Delta Dolcevita Federico Oversize / Franklin-Cristoph 19 / Franklin-Christoph Model 25 w/ Masuyama nib

I will definitely post reviews of the other 11 Levenger colors I have, once the Forest cartridge runs dry.

I'll probably try the Gemstone Green next, try keeping within the same color spectrum until all the cartridges have been used.

It's both a joy and a pleasure sharing with others here, so no problem taking the time.

Once I hit the red, black and blue colors I do have inks by other companies to use as comparisons, so that should be really interesting.

“I view my fountain pens & inks as an artist might view their brushes and paints.

They flow across paper as a brush to canvas, transforming my thoughts into words and my words into art.

There is nothing else like it; the art of writing and the painting of words!”

~Inka~ [scott]; 5 October, 2009