Pelikan M215 Fine Nib Fountain Pen Review

officesupplygeek

Pelikan M215 Fine Nib Fountain Pen Review

For larger pictures, the accompanying captions, and links within this review, please see the post in its entirety here:

http://officesupplygeek.com/pen-review/pel...ain-pen-review/

http://officesupplygeek.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/03/shirt-tie-and-pelikan-m215-fountain-pen-300x225.jpg

First things first on this review, I want to quickly mention that when I bought this pen, I did a lot of research, but still had a ton of questions on everything under the sun when it came to the line of current and future Pelikan pens. Lucky for me Tom from Goldspot Luxury Gifts not only knows his stuff, but is incredibly patient and has good contacts at Pelikan who he also got to help answer a question or two for me. Now sure, Goldspot did give me a minor bloggers discount on this pen and the Noodler’s Blue Black ink that I bought with it, but believe me when I tell you that my praise for their excellent customer service certainly was not bought with a few dollars discount on a $100+ pen. Having worked in customer service myself, I know and understand the difference between average and great customer service, and Goldspot has definitely proven to be great in that aspect each time I have dealt with them…so thanks to Tom and Goldspot for helping out with this purchase!

My first impression of this pen was that it looked like a “serious” and professional writing instrument. The shiny black lacquer finish, and the stark contrast of the inlaid platinum rings projected a confident yet modest personality for this pen. Being that my first thoughts about this pen were more along the serious and professional lines, I thought it would be nice to dress this review up a bit and use one of my favorite shirts and ties in some of the pictures to reinforce that image.

http://officesupplygeek.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/03/pelikan-m215-300x225.jpg

I’ve been using this pen for a few weeks now, and it quickly went from just being a situation where I was excited about my new fountain pen to a situation where I ONLY wanted to use my new fountain pen. This Pelikan M215 has a very nice feel to it when you are writing with it. The combination of the solid, but not too heavy metal body with lacquer coating and the smooth (yes, even in a fine sized nib) line that the nib lays down make it a pleasure to write with this pen. I’ve enjoyed it so much that I have been using it for my every day note taking and updates to my daily planner, which has resulted in me being on my 3rd tank of ink already. This is no reflection on the capacity of the ink tank, I just think that I have been writing a LOT with this pen. Speaking of writing, how about we take a look at the obligatory writing sample:

http://officesupplygeek.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/03/pelikan-m215-fine-nib-writing-sample-295x300.jpg

I have read some other reviews of this pen, and just feedback in general from people who have never used one, and two questions or comments I have seen often involve the size and the weight of this pen. Some express concern over the smaller size of the pen in comparison to some other pens, while others seem concerned that because of the metal body it might be too heavy for long periods of writing. Both of these things obviously depend heavily on your own personal preferences and tolerance, but I can say that neither of these was an issue for me. While the Pelikan is noticeably lighter than my Lamy Studio, it still has a very solid feel, and the weight does not cause any fatigue when writing. As for the size, yes it is a smaller pen, but all I can say is that I consider myself to have average size hands for a guy and the pen fits comfortably in my writing grip so I have no issues there.

One other thing that is always a point of interest on any fountain pen is the issue of nib creep, or the act of some of the ink coming finding its way out onto the surface of the nib. I was told by more than one person that I might experience a decent amount of this with the Noodler’s Blue Black ink in this pen, however I have to say that this was not an issue for me. There was a slight bit of it going on when I first got the pen, but it seems to have worked itself out to what I would consider a bare minimum amount of creep that has no negative impact on my daily use of the pen.

http://officesupplygeek.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/03/pelikan-m215-nib-creep-is-minor-300x225.jpg

In the writing sample above I did mention the capped (4 15/16″) and posted (6″) size of the pen so the following pictures show the pen displayed in both states. In these two pictures you can also see the nice design of the clip on the pen, which in reference to the Pelikan name, looks like a front view of a pelicans beak. I always thought the design and name was a pretty clever, and after reading more about pelicans on The San Diego Zoo website it also makes me wonder if Pelikan is trying to play on the fact that a pelican can hold up to 3 gallons of water in its pouched bill as a way of saying their pens hold a lot of ink? That may be a stretch, but hey I just thought it was an interesting fact.

With the pen capped:

http://officesupplygeek.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/03/pelikan-m215-capped-300x225.jpg

With the cap posted:

http://officesupplygeek.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/03/pelikan-m215-with-cap-posted-300x225.jpg

As far as I’m concerned, you cant go wrong with one of the Pelikan 215 series pens, they come in multiple designs which can be seen on the official Pelikan site, and for the price you really cant go wrong. If you are looking for a pen that is a slight step up from something like the Lamy studio, which is itself a great pen, I suggest one of the Pelikan M215 pens. I think that the quality of the pen and the ease of writing is right up there with my Lamy Studio, however as I mentioned in the beginning of this review, I just think it has a more professional and serious look as compared to the Studio’s modern and unique design…both are great pens, I just think that different situations might call for different pens. If you dont want to take my word for it though, just take a look at how classed up Woody looks with it:

http://officesupplygeek.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/03/pelikan-m215-and-woody-all-dressed-up-300x225.jpg

UPDATE: Tthere was a question regarding the Pelikan Fine sized nib vs. the Lamy Studio Extra Fine sized nib that I wrote about in a previous review. I’ve updated the writing sample that I did for this review to show a side by side comparison of the two pens. The writing Lamy Studio used for the writing sample was filled with Private Reserve Velvet Black ink. I think that the Pelikan nib ends up being slightly more narrow than the Studion nib, but Ill let you decide for yourself, click on the picture below for a closer view.

http://officesupplygeek.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/03/pelikan-m215-and-lamy-studio-writing-sample-comparison-201x300.jpg

Edited by officesupplygeek

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• officesupplygeek

• rickyriz

• Anne-Sophie

• Nicky

A very good review. I've owned an M215 for three years and have had a love-hate relationship with it since the day it first came into my possession; in fact, I listed it for sale twice on FPN, but had no takers. My issue with it is its size; I'd much prefer if it were about a quarter of an inch longer capped and a tad thicker at the section; the weight, however, is fine. I also didn't like the fine nib it came and bought a medium from RB about six months ago. I have now decided to keep the pen because the medium nib suits me better, but also because it is good looking, well made and reliable. I'm still not fully satisfied with the medium nib, as it is a bit pedestarian to write with, but it is definitely more satisfying than the fine. I was thinking of buying an M400 two-tone 14k gold nib from RB, but I think I'll fiddle with the steel medium before I shell out another US$75 on a nib. Perhaps my standards for the M215 medium steel nib are too high as I constantly compare the writing experience with it to that with the medium gold nib on my old-style M800. Overall, for the price the M215 can't be beat and, notwithstanding its smaller size, it punches well above its weight. But isn't that true of most Pelikans?

Bryan

"The greatest lesson in life is to know that even fools are right sometimes." Winston S. Churchill

This exact pen (a fine-nibbed M215 in the horizontal stripe pattern) was my very first fountain pen. The pen that started it all! It is always inked, and used regularly, even though I now have many others to choose from. In late December, I acquired a second M215 (this one with a medium nib, in the lozenge pattern) for ~$90 on sale. A great value, I think!

Nice review and photos!

I have this same model (the rings) with an EF nib, and from the moment I took it out of the box (having seen it only on-line) about a year-and-a-half ago, I liked it very much. This is an overall very well-made, fine-looking fountain pen. One of my friends, after trying a bunch of my pens, ended up buying one of these (the "harlequin" (?) design, maybe it's "lozenge"), and she's very happy with it.

etherX in To Miasto

Fleekair <--French accent.

Nice review, I have the exact setup for school notes (just took a Midterm with it as well) I love Noodler's Blue-black, however my M215 is currently inked with Mont Blanc BR green.

Thanks OSG. Another nice review of another great pen. I've been thinking about buying a M215 to replace the one I sold to fund my M605.

I've owned an M215 for three years and have had a love-hate relationship with it since the day it first came into my possession.... My issue with it is its size; I'd much prefer if it were about a quarter of an inch longer capped and a tad thicker at the section; the weight, however, is fine.
I've got to second Rufus on this one. If the M215 metal body came in a 600 or 800 size, I'd be in hog heaven. The weight of the 215, combined with the short unposted size and thin section made for an uncomfortable writing experience for me.

Overall, for the price the M215 can't be beat and, notwithstanding its smaller size, it punches well above its weight. But isn't that true of most Pelikans?
I'll drink to that!

A very good review. I've owned an M215 for three years and have had a love-hate relationship with it since the day it first came into my possession; in fact, I listed it for sale twice on FPN, but had no takers. My issue with it is its size; I'd much prefer if it were about a quarter of an inch longer capped and a tad thicker at the section; the weight, however, is fine. I also didn't like the fine nib it came and bought a medium from RB about six months ago. I have now decided to keep the pen because the medium nib suits me better, but also because it is good looking, well made and reliable. I'm still not fully satisfied with the medium nib, as it is a bit pedestarian to write with, but it is definitely more satisfying than the fine. I was thinking of buying an M400 two-tone 14k gold nib from RB, but I think I'll fiddle with the steel medium before I shell out another US$75 on a nib. Perhaps my standards for the M215 medium steel nib are too high as I constantly compare the writing experience with it to that with the medium gold nib on my old-style M800. Overall, for the price the M215 can't be beat and, notwithstanding its smaller size, it punches well above its weight. But isn't that true of most Pelikans?

Rufus - thanks! I do notice that the nib seems to be slightly different from the same fine nib that is on my M205 demonstrator which I have yet to review. I also considered one of the binder M400 nibs, but have decided to hold off for now. You are right though, for the price, it is a great pen.

This exact pen (a fine-nibbed M215 in the horizontal stripe pattern) was my very first fountain pen. The pen that started it all! It is always inked, and used regularly, even though I now have many others to choose from. In late December, I acquired a second M215 (this one with a medium nib, in the lozenge pattern) for ~$90 on sale. A great value, I think!

reprieve - This is only my 3rd fountain pen, but I really do like it. Glad to know that even if I do end up with many more like you, Ill probably still enjoy using this one.

I really liked the pen in the pocket shot!

Iskender - Thanks. I had a hard time with the photos for this review, so I appreciate that.

Nice review and photos!

I have this same model (the rings) with an EF nib, and from the moment I took it out of the box (having seen it only on-line) about a year-and-a-half ago, I liked it very much. This is an overall very well-made, fine-looking fountain pen. One of my friends, after trying a bunch of my pens, ended up buying one of these (the "harlequin" (?) design, maybe it's "lozenge"), and she's very happy with it.

ethernautrix - thank you, like I said before, photos for this review were more difficult than for some of my other reviews. I probably took 3 times as many pictures just to get a few that I liked.

Nice review, I have the exact setup for school notes (just took a Midterm with it as well) I love Noodler's Blue-black, however my M215 is currently inked with Mont Blanc BR green.

FrogmanM - I do like the Noodler's blue black a lot, I did the review of that ink on my site prior to reviewing the pen. How do you like the Mont Blanc BR green? I've been looking for a darker green to try.

Nice pen!

Henry Louis - Thanks! Just a shame I've gone this far along in my life without having tried it. :)

Thanks OSG. Another nice review of another great pen. I've been thinking about buying a M215 to replace the one I sold to fund my M605.

I've owned an M215 for three years and have had a love-hate relationship with it since the day it first came into my possession.... My issue with it is its size; I'd much prefer if it were about a quarter of an inch longer capped and a tad thicker at the section; the weight, however, is fine.
I've got to second Rufus on this one. If the M215 metal body came in a 600 or 800 size, I'd be in hog heaven. The weight of the 215, combined with the short unposted size and thin section made for an uncomfortable writing experience for me.

Overall, for the price the M215 can't be beat and, notwithstanding its smaller size, it punches well above its weight. But isn't that true of most Pelikans?
I'll drink to that!

bphollin - I feel like for the money it really is a great pen, I've never used the Pelikan M605, but I bet it is pretty nice as well! :)

Great review! This model has always been one of my favorites for its classy appearance and reliable performance. The balance for my hand is fine without posting. Though it is heavier than other pens of the same size, I can still manage nicely.

Today my M215 is filled with Noodler's Eel Blue and the free-flowing ink makes writing truly effortless even though the nib has been modified to a 0.7mm cursive italic. Usually it is filled with J. Herbin Poussiere de Lune and that flows well in it, too. Can you tell this one's a keeper?

A certified Inkophile

inkophile on tumblr,theinkophile on instagram,inkophile on twitter

Great review! This model has always been one of my favorites for its classy appearance and reliable performance. The balance for my hand is fine without posting. Though it is heavier than other pens of the same size, I can still manage nicely.

Today my M215 is filled with Noodler's Eel Blue and the free-flowing ink makes writing truly effortless even though the nib has been modified to a 0.7mm cursive italic. Usually it is filled with J. Herbin Poussiere de Lune and that flows well in it, too. Can you tell this one's a keeper?

Margana - Thanks for positive feedback, I appreciate it. It makes me happy to hear all of the people who say they have had this pen for a while and know that its one that they will continue to use...it reinforces the fact that this was a good purchase for me. Do you get much nib creep with the Eel blue?

Well done! These are the types of reviews that make FPN a godsend,

Opus104 - Thank you for the incredibly positive feedback, I've not done too many fountain pen or ink reviews myself, but I do agree, the amount of info you can find on this site is amazing, and incredibly helpful. Ive also said on my blog that sometimes the comments from readers on a review add as much value if not more than the original review itself...the conversational knowledge of the masses is much more helpful than the precived knowledge of one.

• 3 weeks later...

Nice review and nice pitures (I love the wood hand).

I'm considering buying the same model..and since it should be my first Pelikan, the F nib comparison with the EF Studio nib is very helpful to me.

I was considering an EF Pelikan nib, even if it's not so easy to find on internet auctions and that because I thought Pelikan nibs were a bit on the wide side (and wet).

On the other hand I test the Lamy EF for my Safari, and I was so satisfied (thin enough for me and, though on the wet side like the F, dry enough) that I order a 2000 EF which is on the way.

So I was a bit surprise by the result of the comparison: it seems to me that the Pelikan F line is even thinner than EF Lamy.

Can you confirm it (eventually if you test it with different inks in the while) and can you give me your impression about flow?

Thank you very much.

Saluti.

Riccardo

Nice review and nice pitures (I love the wood hand).

I'm considering buying the same model..and since it should be my first Pelikan, the F nib comparison with the EF Studio nib is very helpful to me.

I was considering an EF Pelikan nib, even if it's not so easy to find on internet auctions and that because I thought Pelikan nibs were a bit on the wide side (and wet).

On the other hand I test the Lamy EF for my Safari, and I was so satisfied (thin enough for me and, though on the wet side like the F, dry enough) that I order a 2000 EF which is on the way.

So I was a bit surprise by the result of the comparison: it seems to me that the Pelikan F line is even thinner than EF Lamy.

Can you confirm it (eventually if you test it with different inks in the while) and can you give me your impression about flow?

Thank you very much.

rickyriz - glad you enjoyed the review, and I was in the same boat as you, wanting the EF. I decided to just go with the Fine nib since it was easier to find.

I can probably do some more comparisons this weekend and post them fore you.

rickyriz - glad you enjoyed the review, and I was in the same boat as you, wanting the EF. I decided to just go with the Fine nib since it was easier to find.

There's no hurry!

Thanks for your kindness!

Saluti.

Riccardo

Would you mind posting a picture of the Pelikan 215 side by side with the Lamy Studio?

By the way, great blog!

I am happy that somebody is testing office supplies so I know what to get and most important for my wallet, what to avoid.

Is it fair for an intelligent and family oriented mammal to be separated from his/her family and spend his/her life starved in a concrete jail?

There's no hurry!

Thanks for your kindness!

@ rickyriz No problem, I had a little bit of free time this morning, let me know if this helps or if you still have some questions.

Would you mind posting a picture of the Pelikan 215 side by side with the Lamy Studio?

By the way, great blog!

I am happy that somebody is testing office supplies so I know what to get and most important for my wallet, what to avoid.

@Anne-Sophie, I've added a few new pictures of the pens side by side, glad you enjoy the blog, and thanks for the positive feedback.

Below are the smaller size pictures of what I added to the original review, for the full size pictures you can go the bottom of the original post here:

http://officesupplygeek.com/pen-review/pel...ain-pen-review/

http://officesupplygeek.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/03/pelikan-vs-lamy-nib-comparisons-189x300.jpg http://officesupplygeek.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/03/pelikan-m215-and-lamy-studio-74x300.jpg http://officesupplygeek.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/03/pelikan-m215-and-lamy-studio-uncapped-197x300.jpg http://officesupplygeek.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/03/pelikan-m215-and-lamy-studio-nib-compared-300x214.jpg http://officesupplygeek.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/03/pelikan-m215-and-lamy-studio-nib-comparison-300x113.jpg

@ rickyriz No problem, I had a little bit of free time this morning, let me know if this helps or if you still have some questions.

This last scan is so explanatory that I have no more doubts: I'll run for the F nib and I'm also happier as I'll probably find it more easily.

Thank you so much!!!

ps: talking about nib size, I post a small lamy's comparison here

https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/in...howtopic=102194

Saluti.

Riccardo

This last scan is so explanatory that I have no more doubts: I'll run for the F nib and I'm also happier as I'll probably find it more easily.

Thank you so much!!!

ps: talking about nib size, I post a small lamy's comparison here

https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/in...howtopic=102194

Great! Glad I could be of help, Im sure you will love the pen.

Those pictures of your Lamy 2000 are awesome, I already wanted one and those pictures are just making me want one even more now. :)