The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Photo

More Glass! Haro II Pen

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Robert Hughes

Robert Hughes

Antique

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,090 posts

Posted 07 March 2009 - 17:43

I got this neat old glass-nib pen from Germany, a "Haro II", probably pre-WW2 as it's hard rubber. It's a lever filler, unlike the crescent filler of the Spors pen, but they both take sacs (which were both of course completely rotted out when I got them). I suspect the Haro pen got dropped on its glass nib at some point, as it showed some evidence of damage to the tip - chips & etc. I sanded it down and now it works pretty good, though the Spors (having been NOS) is a finer writer. I wonder if I can find another glass nib for it somewhere? Doesn't really matter, as it works as is, but is a rather broad tip for writing those cramped little postcard texts I like to do.

Edited by Robert Hughes, 07 March 2009 - 17:57.

The moment we want to believe something, we suddenly see all the arguments for it, and become blind to the arguments against it.

~ Bernard Shaw.

Sponsored Content

#2 holgalee

holgalee

pen friendly person

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,145 posts

Posted 10 March 2009 - 11:29

Wow! Neat indeed! I saw a glass nib pen on sale on ebay recently but didn't bid. Looks like you did a good sanding job!

#3 Trom

Trom

nothing to say

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 777 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 10 March 2009 - 13:22

Very interesting. Could you describe the difference between this glass nib and a metal nail nib, for example the edson?

#4 pmorin

pmorin

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 632 posts

Posted 10 March 2009 - 13:45

Nice pen - I picked up a Mondial BCHR lever fill c1920, and they are great to write with. I do agree though.... I find it a touch broad as I prefer XF nibs. I wasn't aware there were many other brands, but shouldn't be surprised.

Thanks for posting the photos.
"I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by."
- Douglas Adams
Posted Image         Posted Image     Posted Image

#5 Robert Hughes

Robert Hughes

Antique

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,090 posts

Posted 11 March 2009 - 15:01

So I've been writing with this pen for a few days and have found that:

- It writes like a (really stiff) medium tip FP does,
- It dries out easily, and needs priming to get going at the beginning of a writing session,
- The "dry side" that doesn't put down ink is rather annoying,
- The "wet side" is easy to find and works without a problem,
- After about a page of writing (with Lamy B/B, a rather dry ink) the feed gets a little stingy. I bet this pen would like an ink with more flow.

All in all, I like it. thumbup.gif
The moment we want to believe something, we suddenly see all the arguments for it, and become blind to the arguments against it.

~ Bernard Shaw.

#6 bwnewton

bwnewton

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 760 posts

Posted 26 July 2009 - 01:11

About a week ago I saw a glass pen in an antique shop like the one pictured. However, the ink reservoir (not sure what kind) seemed missing or long ago rotted. Can they be restored?

#7 pmorin

pmorin

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 632 posts

Posted 27 July 2009 - 00:58

QUOTE (bwnewton @ Jul 25 2009, 07:11 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
About a week ago I saw a glass pen in an antique shop like the one pictured. However, the ink reservoir (not sure what kind) seemed missing or long ago rotted. Can they be restored?

Yes. I have one (It's a Mondial - Venetian Italian glass nib, from Italy) that is a lever filler. The person I purchased it from had it resacced. If I remember, when they purchased it they were able to also have a different glass nib fitted.

J. Herbin sells dipping pens, and claim you can recondition the tip with a bit of emery cloth (haven't tried that).

If the pen and nib are in good shape, and the price is good, I wouldn't hesitate to pick it up. Very cool pens. I really like mine.
"I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by."
- Douglas Adams
Posted Image         Posted Image     Posted Image

#8 bwnewton

bwnewton

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 760 posts

Posted 28 July 2009 - 02:00

QUOTE (pmorin @ Jul 26 2009, 07:58 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE (bwnewton @ Jul 25 2009, 07:11 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yes. I have one (It's a Mondial - Venetian Italian glass nib, from Italy) that is a lever filler. The person I purchased it from had it resacced. If I remember, when they purchased it they were able to also have a different glass nib fitted.

J. Herbin sells dipping pens, and claim you can recondition the tip with a bit of emery cloth (haven't tried that).

If the pen and nib are in good shape, and the price is good, I wouldn't hesitate to pick it up. Very cool pens. I really like mine.

Thanks for the information.

Sponsored Content

|