Situations when a FP is not the best choice

Blade Runner

Hi,

I lend my fountain pens to all. (Just the best writers, that is)

Most people will know how to use it by the way. :)

Dillon

Stolen: Aurora Optima Demonstrator Red ends Medium nib. Serial number 1216 and Aurora 98 Cartridge/Converter Black bark finish (Archivi Storici) with gold cap. Reward if found. Please contact me if you have seen these pens.

Please send vial orders and other messages to fpninkvials funny-round-mark-thing gmail strange-mark-thing com. My shop is open once again if you need help with your pen.

Will someone with the name of "Jay" who emailed me through the email system provide me an email address? There was no email address provided, so I can't write back.

Dillon

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Blade Runner

• JRodriguez

• wimg

• Dillo

Hi,

I lend my fountain pens to all. (Just the best writers, that is)

Most people will know how to use it by the way. :)

Dillon

Hi Dillon,

I only do if they know how to use a fountain pen, or if they want to learn, rather than just use. And if it is the first time they use on eof my fountain pens, I always observe, and give instructions too :D.

Of course I tend to be a bit dominant, so they do feel like they can't get away with mistreating it :lol:.

Warm regards, Wim ;)

the Mad Dutchman
laugh a little, love a little, live a lot; laugh a lot, love a lot, live forever

Hi,

I just say, "Hold it this way. You don't need to press down." Most people say, "OOOhhh it writes so well!"

Dillon

Stolen: Aurora Optima Demonstrator Red ends Medium nib. Serial number 1216 and Aurora 98 Cartridge/Converter Black bark finish (Archivi Storici) with gold cap. Reward if found. Please contact me if you have seen these pens.

Please send vial orders and other messages to fpninkvials funny-round-mark-thing gmail strange-mark-thing com. My shop is open once again if you need help with your pen.

Will someone with the name of "Jay" who emailed me through the email system provide me an email address? There was no email address provided, so I can't write back.

Dillon

Hi,

I just say, "Hold it this way. You don't need to press down." Most people say, "OOOhhh it writes so well!"

Dillon

:D

That is what I do. I just use a few more words :lol:. And I get the same comments :D. Always very nice to hear.... :D Another potential victim for assimilation :D.

Warm regards, Wim

the Mad Dutchman
laugh a little, love a little, live a lot; laugh a lot, love a lot, live forever

When I'm writing fast in a reporters notebook outdoors, that's a job for a ballpoint, particularly if its raining.

If the paper's too damp for a BP, it's time to switch to a pencil. Likewise if it's too cold and the ink in the ballpoint freezes up.

I save the fountain pens for when I'm indoors writing on a legal pad while seated at a table.

My main EDC (Every Day Carry) pen is a Parker "51" vac with a sterling cap in cedar blue very much like Richard's except it only has 1 jewel. I also carry a "51" Demi black with a gold filled cap, but I have come across several situations where certain documents need to be signed in ballpoint only so I typically carry a Parker Jotter or a 3 in 1 Parker Vector as well. They also come in handy when someone at the office asks to borrow a pen for a moment.

http://i129.photobucket.com/albums/p202/Apollo3000/es-canary-islands-flag1s.gif Bendita mi tierra guanche.

I sometimes feel a little bad signing a credit card slip with a fountain pen. I usually fan it and blow on it a bit -- I worry that the person taking the receipt will get inky fingers, since that type of paper doesn't take ink that well ...

Stephen

Current Favorite Inks

Noodlers La Reine Mauve Noodlers Walnut

I sometimes feel a little bad signing a credit card slip with a fountain pen. I usually fan it and blow on it a bit -- I worry that the person taking the receipt will get inky fingers, since that type of paper doesn't take ink that well ...

Stephen

Hi,

I use a dry pen for that. :)

For outdoor writing, I use Noodler's black is a drier-writing pen.

Dillon

Dillon

Well, I guess I won't be using any of my FPs aboard the fishing boat I'm spending a week on next month.

Trying to write notes of location, hook-up time and which rod has been taken during the early moments of a blue marlin strike, whilst the skipper is gunning the engines to spin the boat and chase a line burner, and we are shipping water in 50 gallon splashes over the stern is not condusive to legibility - even with a waterproof ink!

A simple wooden pencil - 2B - and scrap pad will have to do.

I will be using an FP to write up the notes in the evening though!

Chris

I often find myself lending a pen to my fellow college students. For people I feel that I can trust, this is my fine-nib Parker "51" Aero with the admonition "it's a fountain pen, so you don't have to use much pressure." For people I don't trust with my "51," I carry a black military-type Fisher Space Pen in my bag -- not the nicest ballpoint, but I like the durability of the Fisher cartridges and the knowledge that I won't find myself covered in ink or ballpoint paste.

My boss has a sterling MB ballpoint so in meetings with her I can use about anything and not draw attention.

Otherwise, I do value both my "51"s and my little stainless Vector as they do not scream out "esoteric fountain pen" quite like a Big Red or the like.

Most of my fountain pens are actually pretty discrete, although I'm in the market for something with a little more pizazz than my current collection...

A pen a day keeps the doctor away...

Parker "51" flighter; Parker 75 cisele; Conway Stewart Dandy Demonstrator; Aurora 88P chrome; Sailor Sapporo ; Lamy 2000; Lamy 27 double L; Lamy Studio; Pilot Murex; Pilot Sesenta (Red/Grey); Pilot Capless (black carbonesque); Pilot Custom 74 Demonstrator; Pilot Volex; Waterman Expert 2000 (slate blue)

On an aeroplane, aren't FPs practically guaranteed to leak? I usually take a mechanical pencil on planes. As for desert island situations- surely an Aurora (?) Ethiopien would be the answer, with the dry ink pellets and the water chamber. Sea water would probably limit its lifespan somewhat though!

Hesnot,

I actually tend towards the more discrete as well - I think largely because I don't want to draw too much attention to my writing instruments, in a self-conscious sort of way - which probably also has to do with my being leary about people wanting to use them and messing them up. The "51" is great in this regard. My white tortoise and recently acquired Honey Almond Opera Club just scream for attention - I think at another level I don't want people to think me snooty or something. I really don't think we ought to care what other people think about the things we like that might seem a tad peculiar, but as I read your post I think it hit me that I really do make some of my pen selections with how other people might react to them in mind - even if its only with the thought that a certain pen is too flashy rather than making the decision based on whether I think the design and writing quality are nice. Sorry to ramble...

Guest Denis Richard

I'm French (a fact that people usually realize after I've spoken a word and a half) and my facial hair is trimmed as a Musketeer. People would barely be astonished if I drew a sword and started fencing them. Never had a remark about using a fountain pen. :D

I don't like to carry nicer fps to busy places where I have to go through

xray surveillance. On one occasison (at Ellis Isle) I sent my fps. watch, wallet,

belt and jacket through the xray machine, and something I had on set

off the machine, and I had to remove my shoes and get hand screened.

While this was going on, i was hoping my things hadn't been stolen.

After making it through, one of the gate keepers had picked up the most

expensive pen and was admiiring it. No harm done this time.

My Pilot disposable next time. :)

Edit to add:

I also don't think it is wise to carry an expensive pen in full view to a

remote border crossing. It hasn't happened to me, but I witnessed a

bad situation when a gatekeeper would not let someone pass, because he

wanted the person's watch. :angry:

Edited by jeen

On an aeroplane, aren't FPs practically guaranteed to leak? I usually take a mechanical pencil on planes. As for desert island situations- surely an Aurora (?) Ethiopien would be the answer, with the dry ink pellets and the water chamber. Sea water would probably limit its lifespan somewhat though!

There are a couple of tricks with using fountian pens on airplanes.

First either travel with the pen full or nearly full. (Or empty if you will not be using it.)

Next don't write with the pen until the pen reaches cruising altitude.

I have followed these tow rules while flying and have never had problems with FP usage on airplanes.

Jim

Jim Couch

Portland, OR

You're talking about this one (pic borrowed from ebay/mimmiz)

http://www.mimmiz.it/ebay/20060368.jpg

found here (it is a depliant by Aurora, auctioned at ebay)

http://cgi.ebay.de/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=6621117104

There is also a pic of the page with user's guide

The first page shows the answer, what purpose the pen was meant to serve and why there were pens named Aurora 'Etiopia' or (the first) Tibaldi 'Impero'

http://www.mimmiz.it/ebay/20060367.jpg

Sorry for the 'borrowing', but this is educative, IMHO.

Unfortunately for me it's much of the time--more specifically my entire time at work. I'm an electrician by trade and I spend my days making marks on wood and metal framing members, steel and plastic pipe, and various cables. For this I use Sharpie markers and pencils. Even for writing supply house lists, I'm limited to pencils because my hands are usually too dirty (covered in oils, metal shavings, plaster dust, earth, etc.) and I would never handle one of my delicate fountain pens in this condition. Even if I just brought one to work, it would probably fall out of my pocket and get lost in an attic somewhere or break if I lean up against a ladder or something. Thus my fountain pen use is limited to days off, nights and weekends. I miss my pens during the day, and I often envy those who get to use their fp's at work. But alas...perhaps absence makes the heart grow even fonder. Anyone else with a similar situation?