How long does a bottle of ink last you?

dizzypen

So I'm just wondering, how long can I expect a 50ml or a 3oz bottle of ink to last? Up to this point I have only used cartridges, but I am expecting 2 bottles of ink to come in any day now.

I usually write a fine or extra fine nib.

Equal Opportunity Ink and Fountain Pen User.

My blog: The Dizzy Pen

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Ink Stained Wretch

• dizzypen

• TwilightFury

• PenTieRun

QUOTE (dizzypen @ Feb 21 2009, 12:45 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
So I'm just wondering, how long can I expect a 50ml or a 3oz bottle of ink to last? Up to this point I have only used cartridges, but I am expecting 2 bottles of ink to come in any day now.

I usually write a fine or extra fine nib.

You can get a fairly accurate answer to your question by applying ViseGuy's Law. You'll need to know (or, at least, estimate) how much ink your pen holds and how often on average you fill the pen; plug the values into the formula and you'll have a pretty good idea of how long the bottle will last.

Or... you can just wait and see. /default/wink.gif

Viseguy

I don't know but, I think will will last a little while anyway. You did say one bottle of ink, right?

Roger W.

http://www.sheafferflattops.com/images/Redgallon.jpg

I don't know but, I think will will last a little while anyway. You did say one bottle of ink, right?

Roger W.

http://www.sheafferflattops.com/images/Redgallon.jpg

Lol :roflmho: ! Well, that should last anyone for at least a month! Oh, I think that this photograph has excited my ink lusting hormones. Now I'm desiring a one gallon jug of ink. I really shouldn't look at such photographs when I'm already hungry.

On a sacred quest for the perfect blue ink mixture!

ink stained wretch filling inkwell

I don't think I have ever seen such a large ink bottle!!!

I use a lot of Stiplua Maschiato - and have gone through a half bottle in about 4 months. I use it a lot.

Sometimes I paint with my J.Herbin inks - so they too get a lot of use!

<!-- isHtml:1 --><!-- isHtml:1 --><a class='bbc_url' href='http://www.musingcrowdesigns.com'>Musing Crow Designs

Now I love Skrip red, but it might take me a while to move through that jug!

I've been on FPs for over a year now and haven't emptied a single bottle :D

Cross: ATX

Esterbrook: Dollar Pen

Eversharp: Standard Skyline, Demi Skyline

Parker: 2 "51" Aerometrics, "51" Special, "21," Striped Duofold, Reflex

Pelikan: M605

Sailor: Sapporo

Sheaffer: 2 Balances

Waterman: CF, Phileas

My bottle of Noodlers Borealis Black lasted 3 days.......

Of course I managed to tip the bottle over while filling a second pen with it.... :gaah: :blink: :bawl:

My bottle of Noodlers Borealis Black lasted 3 days.......

Of course I managed to tip the bottle over while filling a second pen with it.... :gaah: :blink: :bawl:

That don't count Griz :roflmho:

I use about a bottle of Quink Washable Blue every three months, as that is my regular use for everything ink. Other bottles last for a year or two depending on usage. Having said that the Mem Sahib will only use Herbin Sapphire Blue and gets through a bottle about every nine months, but she is not a heavy user.

Jim

Obi Won WD40

Re vera, cara mea, mea nil refert!

• 1 month later...

Just got through a one ounce bottle of Noodler's Black, a complimentary bottle from the 2005 NY Pen Show. I got though that bottle in about 7 months. It's not the only ink I use.

I've been on FPs for over a year now and haven't emptied a single bottle :D

One question - How many bottles of ink do you have???

My pen and 3 oz Noodlers Ink... I just finished the neck of the bottle... I bought both on March 19th, little over a month and I've been using it EVERYDAY! I want to try other COLORS!!!

At this rate, I presume it'll take another 8-9 mths with such persistent writing (I've resorted to writing lyrics on my journal to use the paper as well... Didn't know that paper made such a HUGE difference to the how the pen/ink behave...)

I'm getting used to the Green I'm using... hope I won't miss it too much to buy another bottle... Talk about contradicting myself.

http://img244.imageshack.us/img244/5642/postcardde9.png

18 postcards left (As of May 27th) - Using Sailor Sapporo, MB Violet

My pen and 3 oz Noodlers Ink... I just finished the neck of the bottle... I bought both on March 19th, little over a month and I've been using it EVERYDAY! I want to try other COLORS!!!

Then you should do so. Life's too short to get all restrictive over something like this. If you figure that you'll enjoy other colors of ink then go for it and get some. I've got quite a lot of ink and I'm glad of it. Lot's of fun, this variety of inks.

This one came back from the dead didn't it?

Update:

I now have 5 bottles of ink (not counting the 10oz. of blue-black I have, and the 5 packets (which would mix up 50oz. of ink :yikes: I have sitting in my desk). I have barely made a dent in any of it. I write several pages everyday. I figure, I have well over a decade worth of ink at this point... and of course there is more on the way :bonk:

I think I need to start writing with wetter writers!

Edited by dizzypen

Equal Opportunity Ink and Fountain Pen User.

My blog: The Dizzy Pen

A 50ml bottle lasts about 4 months if it's blue, blue-black or black. Other colors a bit longer.

Good thing I have a lot of correspondence and journalling to do!

"Luxe, calme et volupte"

Then you should do so. Life's too short to get all restrictive over something like this. If you figure that you'll enjoy other colors of ink then go for it and get some. I've got quite a lot of ink and I'm glad of it. Lot's of fun, this variety of inks.

I second that emotion. :thumbup:

Pens I own: Waterman Hemisphere F, Pelikan Epoch M, Parker Frontier Luna Purple M, 9 Lamy Safaris, 2 Pelikan Futures, 2 Heros, Taccia Amethyst Mosaic M, Lamy 2000 B, Kaweco Sport B, Pelikan M101N Souveran

When I win the lottery: Montblanc Boheme Doue Collection - Pirourette with Lilac Stone FP