Dearest Friends and Visitors of the Fountain Pen Network,
We have started implementing the changes we promised here: Upcoming Changes To FPN
Please do read the linked message above.

Photo

Burnham B48

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 sasurgner

sasurgner

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 57 posts

Posted 13 February 2009 - 14:38

Good Morning,
I have been reading what there is available about Burnham pens and would appreciate any additional info, especially about this Burnham B48 as found on eBay:http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=380102997761&_trksid=p3907.m32&_trkparms=tab%3DBidding.
This is a real beauty and I am tempted. Some help in deciding would be great.
Thanks~Scott

#2 JakobS

JakobS

Far From the Madding Crowd

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,108 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 13 February 2009 - 17:12

I have never used one, though hope to at some point!! The Burnham 48 seems to be a solid pen, and one of Burnham's more popular models The one from ebay looks like a solid example, and since it has a new sac and been serviced it is sure to be a nice introduction. The price is about average for what they sell for. Hope this helps, though I do wish I had one to comment on the writing experience!

Edited by JakobS, 13 February 2009 - 17:12.

FP Ink Orphanage-Is an ink not working with your pens, not the color you're looking for, is never to see the light of day again?!! If this is you, and the ink is in fine condition otherwise, don't dump it down the sink, or throw it into the trash, send it to me, and I will provide it a nice safe home with love, and a decent meal of paper! Please PM me!

For Sale:
TBA

#3 sasurgner

sasurgner

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 57 posts

Posted 13 February 2009 - 22:07

This is the Burnham B48 that I am looking into on eBay. Nice writer!
Comments welcome.
Best~Scott

Burnham_B48__2_.jpg

#4 Peter from Sherwood Park

Peter from Sherwood Park

Antique

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,973 posts

Posted 13 February 2009 - 22:10

Great looking pen. Burnhams in general are good writers, so this should be something special.

#5 Walter's daughter

Walter's daughter

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 149 posts

Posted 13 February 2009 - 22:33

I have one just like it, but with a fine nib.
It's one of my favourite writers.
"Procrastination is the thief of time" - Edward Young

#6 Hugh200au

Hugh200au

Hugh

• Away
  • 1,436 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 14 February 2009 - 22:51

The B48 is a large ,reasonable to use pen and most are good writers. This looks a good example. They where a 2nd tier manufacturer and the best models are the two 65 styles. I personally would pass on a 48 and look for a 65, overall a better pen and will hold its value better. That said , you probably won't find a nicer colour than the pen on offer only let down by the clip , it says gold but doesn't look it when compared to the cap band. On mine the clip is chrome.
Regards Hugh

#7 alastair smith

alastair smith

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 64 posts

Posted 22 February 2009 - 13:00

I have a B48 in a mottled grey colour, the clip and cap-band are chromed but the lever appears to be gold-coated. The nib is engraved with "Burnham" "B48" "Italic". It is a broad, flexible nib and, although untipped, is a wonderful writer. I bought it about 15 years ago and, having fitted a new sac, never really got round to using it. After reading this post I got it out and inked it and I'm so pleased, it has joined my user pens.

Thanks so much for reviving my interest in this pen and my other Burnhams, some of which I've had for over 30 years, many of them are in the 1st tier for quality.

I also agree that there should be a forum for the "other" English pens.

Alastair

#8 Hugh200au

Hugh200au

Hugh

• Away
  • 1,436 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 22 February 2009 - 20:55

QUOTE (alastair smith @ Feb 23 2009, 12:00 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I have a B48 in a mottled grey colour, the clip and cap-band are chromed but the lever appears to be gold-coated. The nib is engraved with "Burnham" "B48" "Italic". It is a broad, flexible nib and, although untipped, is a wonderful writer. I bought it about 15 years ago and, having fitted a new sac, never really got round to using it. After reading this post I got it out and inked it and I'm so pleased, it has joined my user pens.

Thanks so much for reviving my interest in this pen and my other Burnhams, some of which I've had for over 30 years, many of them are in the 1st tier for quality.

I also agree that there should be a forum for the "other" English pens.

Alastair

Your B48 would be fitted with a screw out steel nib most likely. Burnham made a B48 without the gold nib to satisfy customers who wanted a more robust nib as well competing with cheaper manufacturers (ie economy model) , a number of other nibs such as Esterbrook and Osmiroid should also fit so your pen can be adapted to whatever your needs. Overall Burnham steel nibs seem to be pretty good and better than a lot of others.
Regards
Hugh