you like your pens heavy, light or inbetween

memphislawyer

i have held a few pens, and i have a bexley sheherazade that i find to be light, but it is bulkier in the barrel and i love it. i held a visconti opera club that was on the heavy side, but it felt great too.

i was wondering, how do you like your pens for the most part? do you like a heavy pen most times, or a light pen, and why so?

i guess as a subpart of this thread, do you like a pen that is skinny or one that has some bulk to it.

sam

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• KCat

• wimg

• southpaw

• Betty

Top Posters In This Topic

Usually, I prefer something lighter, like a Pelikan M200, but I'm also happy to use very heavy pens (like the Cross Townsend). I'm happy with thick and thin equally. In fact, I'm a big fan of variety!

Ray

Sam,

Love 'em all :lol:

But sometimes one is better than another.

For long periods of writing, generally, I prefer something on the medium/light but a Cross silver Townsend, unposted, is very comfortable and is better than some smaller, lighter pens in my hand (which is not a ham!) although it is a heavy pen.

As for size, again there are odd things happening. I prefer the thinner Sheaffer Statesman to the fatter Valiant yet I found the thinner Montblac 145 easier to use and much more comfortable that the similar sized but fatter Sailor 1911M (smaller one not the full size model).

To be honest, I now find that smoothness is key. A pen that just writes of its own accord is much more comfortable that one that requires instruction from me as to how to behave :) There is less fatigue when page after page of stuff is being created.

Chris

Hi Sam,

I also like variety, provided the pen writes well, which generally is determined by the nib/feed assembly and how the pen feels in my hand, i.e., comfortabel or not. I have pens which fall in almost any weight category :D, but the thing they all have in common is that I love their nibs, that they flow well, and are comfortable to write with. Of course, all from my own prejudiced perspective :D.

Warm regards, Wim

the Mad Dutchman
laugh a little, love a little, live a lot; laugh a lot, love a lot, live forever

When I first started, I thought I liked them heavy, thus my comments in the Rotring Initial review. However, my sojourn down the road to light preference began shortly thereafter with the arrival of my first Pelikan M200. Now, almost a year later, I don't like heavy pens at all. The closest exception to that is my VP, which isn't really heavy, but I don't usually use it for prolonged writing either. At the moment, I don't have any heavy pens, and that rules out metal sections also.

"But God demonstrates His own love toward us, in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us." (Rom. 5:8, NKJV)

Lightweight definitely.

However, I'd never call a VP "lightweight" but it's balance is so good that I find it wonderfully comfy to use.

so i suppose, in the long run, it might depend on the pen design more than anything. Still, my most used pens aside from the VP are my Pels and they are all very light.

KCat
Save animal lives - support your local animal shelter

My personal blog https://kcdockalscribbling.com

My nature blog https://kcbeachscribbles.com
Venerable are letters, infinitely brave, forlorn, and lost. V. Woolf, Jacob's Room

Until recently, I thought my Visconti was a light pen (my lightest anyway) so I would have said "light". However, I recently handled a Pelikan 800 and it felt too light, so I guess I would now say "medium". But maybe that will shift around as I handle more pens and find out what "medium" really is.

Having tried a few pens, I have now discovered that, while owning and liking some slightly heavier ones, I tend to prefer pens that are more on the lighter side of the weight spectrum.

As far as skinny or bulky, I don't think I'm that particular yet, but give me a few more months, and I'll probably have more of a preference.

G.

You can't always get what you want... but if you try sometimes... you just might find... you'll get what you need...

I prefer large pens. I prefer for size-both length and diameter- my Mt. Blanc 149 or Pelikan 800. That's not to say I do not use smaller pens for I use a mMntblanc 146 and Aurora on a regular baisis. I also like heavier pens. The only heavy pen seems to be a Caran d'ache.

None of us can have as many virtues as the fountain-pen, or half its cussedness; but we can try” Mark Twain

Wouldn't this really depend on the barrel size and shape? I love my Rotring Core, and I like my Waterman Phileas, but based on the design, if the Rotring were lighter I think I would just put it away.

Randy

"I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them." J. B. Books (John Wayne in "The Shootist")

Wouldn't this really depend on the barrel size and shape? I love my Rotring Core, and I like my Waterman Phileas, but based on the design, if the Rotring were lighter I think I would just put it away.

Randy

And, IMO, on posted vs. not posted. Some have mentioned the Townsend as a heavy pen and it is with the cap posted. Without the cap posted it's a medium weight and that's fine with me. I like mine. I still *prefer* the M200/400/600 weight and it's light enough to be one of the few pens I can post.

Overall dimensions are important indeed. A lightweight but too-fat pen is not going to work for me. Too thin (many WM pens, some Parkers, etc.) fatigue my hand faster than a heavy pen will.

KCat
Save animal lives - support your local animal shelter

My personal blog https://kcdockalscribbling.com

My nature blog https://kcbeachscribbles.com
Venerable are letters, infinitely brave, forlorn, and lost. V. Woolf, Jacob's Room

I prefer the weight of a Parker "51" uncapped, so on the lighter side of medium I suspect.

Jim

Obi Won WD40

Re vera, cara mea, mea nil refert!

It all depends on the balance of the pen. A heavier, tip-heavy pen is not as tiring as a cap-heavy pen when posted. All things equal, I favor a lighter-weight pen.

Pedro

Looking for interesting Sheaffer OS Balance pens

For me it is a combination of three factors: weight, balance and the wetness of the nib. Out of these three, the weight is not as important as the latter two. A well balanced pen, with a wet nib, is a pleasure to write with, and usually I can write for one or two hours non stop without feeling tired.