6 replies to this topic

#1 Gatorade

Gatorade

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 249 posts

Posted 25 February 2006 - 18:12

I got a new Esterbrook over the weekend. It looks like a late model dollar pen. Please correct me if I am wrong.

Silver metal cap
Cartridge filling
Medium nib (No number, just says Medium Esterbrook made in USA)
Black body with a metal ring at the opening of the body where the section screws in.

It came with an empty Esterbrook cartridge. Cartridge has a yellow ring on the top that can come on and off.

Like I said I think it is a late model dollar pen as I saw an ebay auction for a lot of 12 new ones that were carded along with 6 cartridges and they were printed with $1 each on it.

What modern cartridges do these take? I can always refill the old cartridge with a syringe but if someone makes something compatible then it would be nice to have spares.

Posted Image

Charlie

Edited by Gatorade, 26 February 2006 - 01:33.

Best use of a pen:

Posted Image

#2 Gerry

Gerry

Lake Louise

• Admin

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,147 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 25 February 2006 - 19:34

Not what we usualy refer to as a 'Dollar' pen. The real Dollar Pens were precursors to the J and others, and featured a clip with two holes in it, as well as no jewels. The top was formed by folding over the clip, the bottom was squared off celluloid.

Have a look at Brian Anderson's site for Estie ID help. http://www.esterbrook.net/

Regards

Gerry

#3 Gatorade

Gatorade

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 249 posts

Posted 25 February 2006 - 20:08

Not what we usualy refer to as a 'Dollar' pen. The real Dollar Pens were precursors to the J and others, and featured a clip with two holes in it, as well as no jewels. The top was formed by folding over the clip, the bottom was squared off celluloid.

Have a look at Brian Anderson's site for Estie ID help. http://www.esterbrook.net/

Regards

Gerry

I checked there. It wasn't on there at all. Looks like 50's-60's styling and like I said has a cartridge so that would date it as well. I am sure it is fairly common but most sites focus on the lever fillers rather than the newer cartridge fillers. I just haven't seen it on any of the regular sites dedicated to Esterbrook.
Best use of a pen:

Posted Image

#4 amh210

amh210

Venerable

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,734 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 26 February 2006 - 01:25

To the best of my knowledge there is no modern cartridge that fits the Esterbrook Cartridge Fountain Pen. Refilling cartridges is the way to go.

Andy
"Andy Hoffman" Sandy Ego, CA
Torrey View is Andy's BlOG and Facebook me! If you visit my blog, click on the ad. I'll send all proceeds to charity.
For my minutiae, FOLLOW my Twitter.

#5 Gatorade

Gatorade

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 249 posts

Posted 26 February 2006 - 01:54

Just FYI I won't be putting the 9555's on this one! I have other J series pens as well. Just got this one in a lot and thought it was interesting because it wasn't a lever filler.
Best use of a pen:

Posted Image

#6 Ann Finley

Ann Finley

Antique

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,775 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 26 February 2006 - 05:34

If you find any old Wearever cartridges they should fit the Esterbrook for refilling, but like Estie carts, they're no longer made.

HTH,
Ann

#7 KCat

KCat

Ancient Artifact

• Admin Hon.

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,529 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 26 February 2006 - 19:12

To the best of my knowledge there is no modern cartridge that fits the Esterbrook Cartridge Fountain Pen. Refilling cartridges is the way to go.

Andy

yeah - these pens are too narrow to take the Sheaffer carts that will go in the CA101 (not sure about that number)

I have a red pen like yours and even the carts for it are hard to find because it's so much narrower than their other cartridge pen designs. Anyway - what I did was take what remained of an old Esterbrook cart and, cut off the nipple such that it is about 1/3" long, then attached a sac to it. I fill the pen just by squeezing the sac lenghthwise as best I can. Not a great solution but better than none. The one cart I had that fit the pen, eventually cracked.

It *is* a good little pen of course - given Esterbrook's wide range of nibs. And it's one of those pens I'd never sell.
KCat
Save animal lives - support your local animal shelter

Venerable are letters, infinitely brave, forlorn, and lost. V. Woolf, Jacob's Room