Dearest Friends and Visitors of the Fountain Pen Network,
We have started implementing the changes we promised here: Upcoming Changes To FPN
Please do read the linked message above.

Photo

Review: Platinum Preppy Fountain Pen ...

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 cmeisenzahl

cmeisenzahl

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,251 posts

Posted 29 October 2008 - 13:25

Another item from JetPens (yesterday was the Zebra Pticolon Scented Gel Ink Pen Set). This time it's the Platinum Preppy fountain pen. Think of it as a refillable version of the Pilot Varsity fountain pen, and slightly nicer.

I sent my Pelikan M800 fountain pen in to get some work done so I'm using using my Platinum Preppy for a couple of weeks. We have three now: Blue-Black, Green, and Pink.

A few thoughts on this pen.
1. It's cheap, currently only USD $3, and refillable.
2. Stiff steel nib. And VERY fine. Maybe like a European XXF?. ;-)
3. The ink cartridge has a small steel ball in it that rattles around, reminds me of a can of spray paint, or a check-valve.

4. It's light, and clear, a demonstrator I guess.
5. The nib is a bit 'toothy,' but that's probably just form being so fine. An upside of the narrow nib is that the ink doesn't bleed through, even using cheap recycled paper.
6. The cap has a little spring-loaded insert that helps the cap snap into place. In one of the pics below.
7. Maybe roughly the size of a Pelikan M200?

If you're looking for an inexpensive fountain pen that just works well, this is it!

#2 Strang

Strang

Down

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,168 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 29 October 2008 - 14:54

Thanks for the review! I had been wondering what these pens were like. I have got some of the pink cartridges. I bought them for my other Platinum pen and haven't tried them yet but I fear they may be made only for the Preppy. But, as far as the paint can thing goes, I believe all Platinum cartridges have that ball bearing in them. I used to find the sound annoying but the cartridges work so darned well that I just overlook it now and let the ink flow!
Yes, yes I do owe you a letter.
Posted Image

#3 cmeisenzahl

cmeisenzahl

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,251 posts

Posted 30 October 2008 - 13:44

QUOTE (Strang @ Oct 29 2008, 07:54 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Thanks for the review! I had been wondering what these pens were like. I have got some of the pink cartridges. I bought them for my other Platinum pen and haven't tried them yet but I fear they may be made only for the Preppy. But, as far as the paint can thing goes, I believe all Platinum cartridges have that ball bearing in them. I used to find the sound annoying but the cartridges work so darned well that I just overlook it now and let the ink flow!

My pleasure. ;-)