Bexley Sub SE Red Pearl

Kelly

I've got one of these beauties coming from Mr. Binder and I know a few folks here have them as well. What are you inking yours with? I'm in a quandry as to what ink I should use first. I'm not even sure of the color arena: blue? red? green? blue-black? grey? black? purple? I was actually thinking of Pelikan Violet. Help! It's my first red pen and any recommendations would be appreciated - thanks .

Mods: I wasn't sure if this should go under Writing Instruments or Inky Thoughts...move if necessary, many thanks :) Where did that Field Guide go? I must have missed it... :doh:

A hot wind was blowing around my head, the strands of my hair lifting and swirling in it, like ink spilled in water. ~ Margaret Atwood, The Blind Assassin

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• TheNobleSavage

• Kelly

• Roger

• Glenn-SC

Top Posters In This Topic

I have one of those with a custom Italifine nib and I keep it inked with, you guessed it, noodlers black!! I know I am so boring!!! The standard submariner is a bit small for me but it works well as a pen I use for my check book!!! Great writer, as all Bexley pens are. In fact I like them so much I have 8 of them. I am going to post some images of all of my Bexley pens and all of my Stipulas!!!

TNS

BTW ENJOY your Bexley, what kind of nib did you get?

Check Out my Fountain Pen and Ink Review Sites

Fountain Pen Reviews

Ink Reviews

I have one of those with a custom Italifine nib and I keep it inked with, you guessed it, noodlers black!! I know I am so boring!!! The standard submariner is a bit small for me but it works well as a pen I use for my check book!!! Great writer, as all Bexley pens are. In fact I like them so much I have 8 of them. I am going to post some images of all of my Bexley pens and all of my Stipulas!!!

TNS

:lol: :lol: I just can't do black - it has to be something regal for this pen :D It's my first Bexley so I'm pretty stoked about its arrival. It's probably on Richard's grinder as I type this! I went for, ready for this, a 0.55 stub! I wanted something a tad finer than my usual 0.6mm. I was toying between that and a 0.5mm - I like it fine/f-m and I know you usually like the really broad stuff. We'll see. And, yes, you have some seriously gorgeous Bexleys that I've seen...between you and Davy, I'm in a permanent state of :drool: Start snapping those picts :)

A hot wind was blowing around my head, the strands of my hair lifting and swirling in it, like ink spilled in water. ~ Margaret Atwood, The Blind Assassin

... it has to be something regal for this pen :D ...

OK, Kelly, something regal ... Diamine Monaco Red or Imperial Purple :P

I have one of those with a custom Italifine nib and I keep it inked with, you guessed it, noodlers black!!  I know I am so boring!!!  The standard submariner is a bit small for me but it works well as a pen I use for my check book!!!  Great writer, as all Bexley pens are.  In fact I like them so much I have 8 of them.  I am going to post some images of all of my Bexley pens and all of my Stipulas!!!

TNS

:lol: :lol: I just can't do black - it has to be something regal for this pen :D It's my first Bexley so I'm pretty stoked about its arrival. It's probably on Richard's grinder as I type this! I went for, ready for this, a 0.55 stub! I wanted something a tad finer than my usual 0.6mm. I was toying between that and a 0.5mm - I like it fine/f-m and I know you usually like the really broad stuff. We'll see. And, yes, you have some seriously gorgeous Bexleys that I've seen...between you and Davy, I'm in a permanent state of :drool: Start snapping those picts :)

Hey there, check out my Pen review site http://fountainpenreview.blogspot.com/

I have a bunch of bexley reviews and pictures in the archives.

tns

Fountain Pen Reviews

Ink Reviews

(Kelly @ Feb 21 2006, 10:36 PM)

if it's regal you want, purple (violet) or royal blue are in order. i favor waterman purple...can't wait to see your pics...

Edited by davyr

"i love the smell of celluloid nitrate in the morning...you know, the smell, that camphor smell, it smells like...victory."

(Kelly @ Feb 21 2006, 10:36 PM)

if it's regal you want, purple (violet) or royal blue are in order. i favor waterman purple...can't wait to see your pics...

Dave, (small) Royals nowadays also consider red : http://www.diamineinks.co.uk/aboutus.aspx

:D

Hmm, now Noodler's La Couleur Royale comes to my mind.

J. Herbin had untill recently a special ink in a conic bottle, which was made by the recipe of their own ancient ink that was used at the French Royal court (Herbin was founded in 1670). I can't find it any more on their site.

The bottle looked like this other special, but with a blue label.

http://www.jherbin.com/images/products_specialty.jpg

Edited by saintsimon

BTW, if you want a wonderful purple, Diamine Imperial Purple is fantastic!! Also you might want to try PR Tanzanite, PR Plum or Noodlers Iraqi Indigo (only from pendamonium) it is permenant ink!!!

TNS

Fountain Pen Reviews

Ink Reviews

From what I know, this is not an ink for fountain pens!!  This is for dip pens and quill pens.  I may be wrong but I dont want you to fudge up your new fountain pen!!!

TNS

You may be right. I just can't look it up any more. Seems to be discontinued, also on their French site. I can't remeber all the details. There is little chance to buy it anyway ;)

BTW: here is the original Frech webiste of J. Herbin: http://www.herbin-sueur.com

AND: found on their French site, especially for our Californian members :P

"A L'ETRANGER :

USA : SAVOIR FAIRE

40 LEVERONI COURT

NOVATO

94949 CALIFORNIE

Tél : 0014158848090

Fax : 0014158848091

http://www.savoirfaire.com "

Edited by saintsimon

Great writer, as all Bexley pens are. In fact I like them so much I have 8 of them.

I have three and they all write very poorly!

Maybe if you buy one from a Custom shop it will work.

I even sent two back to Bexley for Service and they returned writing as poorly as when I sent them in.

Wish I could get back what I have in them. :bonk: :bonk: :bonk:

I have one of those with a custom Italifine nib and I keep it inked with, you guessed it, noodlers black!!  I know I am so boring!!!  The standard submariner is a bit small for me but it works well as a pen I use for my check book!!!  Great writer, as all Bexley pens are.  In fact I like them so much I have 8 of them.  I am going to post some images of all of my Bexley pens and all of my Stipulas!!!

TNS

Hey there, check out my Pen review site http://fountainpenreview.blogspot.com/

I have a bunch of bexley reviews and pictures in the archives.

tns

It's already been bookmarked for a couple of months - GREAT stuff on there!! :D

Thanks for all the feedback :) I'm really feeliing purple with this one, I don't know why. I've got some Pelikan Violet on order, I already have Noodler's Purple and some PR Plum cartridges (but I prefer the bottled ink so that may be another purchase). Davy, I was toying with the Waterman Purple, too...and also that Diamine Imperial looks lovely. I'll see if I can make it work with what I have and then (oh darn! :lol: ) may have to order some more ink!

Glenn, I'm so sorry for your luck with pens :( I remember when I ordered a Conklin and you had such bad experieinces with them as well. I did, too. Somehow though with Richard at the helm of the Bexley nib, I feel secure that all will be well. Best of luck with your future purchases :)

Great writer, as all Bexley pens are.  In fact I like them so much I have 8 of them. 

I even sent two back to Bexley for Service and they returned writing as poorly as when I sent them in.

Wish I could get back what I have in them. :bonk: :bonk: :bonk:

So what is wrong with them? What are they and are you willing to sell? Just out of curiosity!!

TNS

Fountain Pen Reviews

Ink Reviews

Wish I could get back what I have in them. :bonk:  :bonk:  :bonk:

Your experience is atypical, Glenn. I and I know others here find them very reliable writers OOTB. If I felt like you, I would cut my loses and sell them, though. But, don't expect to get what you have in them. New pens when resold do not work that way.

To better appreciate what you are seeking, what modern pens do you find satisfactory OOTB, and what kind of write are you looking for?

Roger

Southern Arizona, USA

Fountain Pen Talk Mailing List

He he he!!! Good ol Roger comes to my rescue ;)

I use Black and different variations of conservative blue ink for work. Offical documents cannot be written in Imperial Purple or Noodlers Widowmaker or even Levenger Fireball. So with that said, I usually stick to the blues and blacks and I am very happy with it. For my work inks I primarly use PR DC Blue and PR American Blue along with Aurora Black and Noodlers Black. Other variations of blues and black I use at work are:

Blacks

Noodlers black

Aurora Black

Parker Quink Black

Noodlers Aircorp Blue Black

Lamy Black

Levenger Raven Black

Blues

PR American Blue

DC Supershow Blue

Noodlers Blue

Parker Blue Black

Waterman Blue black

Waterman Florida Blue

Noodlers Blue Black

PR Midnight Blues

Fountain Pen Reviews

Ink Reviews

Wish I could get back what I have in them. :bonk:  :bonk:  :bonk:

Your experience is atypical, Glenn. I and I know others here find them very reliable writers OOTB. If I felt like you, I would cut my loses and sell them, though. But, don't expect to get what you have in them. New pens when resold do not work that way.

To better appreciate what you are seeking, what modern pens do you find satisfactory OOTB, and what kind of write are you looking for?

Oh, I expect a lot from a pen:

1) it has to put out ink as soon as it touches the paper.

2) it has to put out the same amount of ink when writing in any direction.

That's it!

I'm not picky about line width, though I prefer fine to med.

I don't care about flex.

I don't want italic or oblique.

It has to put ink on paper! That's it.

I have a Bexley Equipoise, an Ebonite (both of which I paid Bexley themselves to "Service" but didn't improve) and a Submariner.

ANY of my 8 Lamy Safaris writes better than any of the Bexleys.

I haven't tried the various Noodler's and Diamine purple/violet-range inks yet.

From my two-brand purple/violet experience, I recommend Sheaffer Skrip Purple/Violet (new stock, from Slovenia) because it behaves excellently on all kinds of paper, even "bad" paper like newsprint and the printer tape for cash registers and calculators. No bleeding through, no feathering into and extremely rare shadowing through anything B) !

Waterman Purple/Violet, the other one I've tried, is unattractively undisciplined on bad paper.

Oh, I expect a lot from a pen:

1) it has to put out ink as soon as it touches the paper.

2) it has to put out the same amount of ink when writing in any direction.

That's it!

I'm not picky about line width, though I prefer fine to med.

I don't care about flex.

I don't want italic or oblique.

It has to put ink on paper!  That's it.

I have a Bexley Equipoise, an Ebonite (both of which I paid Bexley themselves to "Service" but didn't improve) and a Submariner.

ANY of my 8 Lamy Safaris writes better than any of the Bexleys.

Well, your expectations are certainly no more stringent than the rest of us have, so having paid Bexley for the unsatisfactory repairs, Id get an email off to Howard Levy and lay out the problems and ask him if he will accept the pens again for a no charge go at getting them right.

Howard's a reasonable guy and it would surprise me if he refused same.

Roger

Southern Arizona, USA

Fountain Pen Talk Mailing List