Faber-Castell E-motion-review

goodguy

I didnt write a review on this pen on the first day because this was the first time I wasnt sure how I felt about a pen.I wasnt sure if I lvoe it or hate it.

Now I know what I think of the pen.

http://i516.photobucket.com/albums/u330/alfa170a/Faber-CastellE-motion001.jpg

Well lets start with how I got this pen.

I got it from the Toronto Pen Show.I didnt know what I am going to get and at the end I dcided to go with a good quality pen (its made in Germany) that I never thoguht I would get and the Faber-Castell is one company I never thought I would ever seriously concider.

Well lets start with the pens design.

http://i516.photobucket.com/albums/u330/alfa170a/Faber-CastellE-motion009.jpg

Its a metal pen both body and cap.Actualy I am not sure if the body is covered with wood or made of wood and the metal sction and buttom end are just glued to it but in any case the effect is very interesting and ergonomic.

Now we come to the thing I love the most in this pen in the design department-The Clip.

I love the clip on this pen.Its a spring loaded clip and on one side this pen is the most secure pen I ever had and on the other side this clip is the most comfortable to put in and out of the pocket,simply a great and beautiful design.

I also love the way they cap has the name Faber-Castell writen on it.

Basicly this is a simple and clean design without too many statments and good that its so.I say leave the complex design to high end or limited edition pens.This pen was made to be used and not to make any statments.

http://i516.photobucket.com/albums/u330/alfa170a/Faber-CastellE-motion007.jpg

The pen is medium weight pens.The cap obviously adds to the overall weight of the pen as its made of metal but once you take it off the pen doesnt feel too heavy and even though I love light weight pens this pens weight was comfortable to me.

The pen is also well balance and is a bit chuncky in the middle but the section tapers at the end and so it actualy fits my hands well and again adds to the overall positive feeling of the writing experiance.

The section is made of smooth metal and I must admit I bought the pen with mixed feelings not knowing how will I adjust to this metal section.As a rule of thumb I preffer non metal sections.Well for the first day it felt weird to write with it but after few days I found it doesnt bother me anymore and I actualy stopped thinking about it.I would say the section could be the only negative point of this pen but as I said for me once I got used to it then it became natual for me.

http://i516.photobucket.com/albums/u330/alfa170a/Faber-CastellE-motion008.jpg

The pen uses cartridge converter filler and comes with a converter.It holds enought ink for your everyday needs and is satisfactory even though not very exciting.

Now we come to the fun part the nib.Its a F steel nib that is one of the finest nibs I have.It is actualy one of the finest nibs of this side of the resonable price.It has an unbelivible amount of feedback and all with a wonderfuly smooth writing experiance with absolutly no thoothiness,as with steel nibs it is very stiff.

http://i516.photobucket.com/albums/u330/alfa170a/Faber-CastellE-motion003.jpg

Summery

Well this is a very modern looking pen for a relativly resonable price.It is very well made and feels very very solid.

It has some weight to it but it is not too heavy.The nib and clips are the highlight of this pen.I love them both.

The section might be a problem to some people but I found after few days you forget about it and it becomes comfortable to use.

Respect to all

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• goodguy

• QM2

• Strang

• dandelion

Nice review; I am glad you like this pen.

Every time I enter a stationary shop in Austria or Germany, I am taunted by an enormous display of these pens in -- like 10 different colours/patterns/materials. Did you know that there is even brick-red rubber version? I think it has been discontinued now though.

goodguy, you should try faber-castell's high-end pens as well--if not their "pen of the year" LEs, then their pernambuco or ebony wood pens, or even the guilloche ones. very clean, classic lines (i know you want your pens on the fancier side, but you also like sheaffer snorkels, so these will appeal to that side of you ;) ). wonderfully smooth nibs. i have three F-C's and love them all.

Check out my blog and my pens

goodguy, you should try faber-castell's high-end pens as well--if not their "pen of the year" LEs, then their pernambuco or ebony wood pens, or even the guilloche ones. very clean, classic lines (i know you want your pens on the fancier side, but you also like sheaffer snorkels, so these will appeal to that side of you ;) ). wonderfully smooth nibs. i have three F-C's and love them all.

I second that. My Husband loves the FC Guilloche FP/BP/pencil set I got him and uses it all the time.

The fountain pen is second on the right on this photo -- the Faver Castell Logo looks gorgeous engraved on the cap.

http://queenmargot.com/nailheads2.jpg

Great review! Your experience is very much different from mine. I had the opportunity to write with the E-motion for a few days and I wasn't impressed. It's too short to write with unposted and the cap is almost impossible to post. Not to mention it weighs a ton. I got the impression FC didn't put much thought into this pen. But their Guilloché/Classic pens are beautiful.

Edited by Immoteus

Virtute enim ipsa non tam multi praediti esse quam videri volunt.

Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum sonatur.

Contact Information for Japanese Manufacturers

dunno why but I don't like the looks of the nib

Pens are like watches , once you start a collection, you can hardly go back. And pens like all fine luxury items do improve with time

it may not look too promising, but it's actually the best part of the pen ;) wonderfully smooth.

dunno why but I don't like the looks of the nib

Check out my blog and my pens

The E-Motion series and I have an odd relationship. I really like the pencil with its big, thick 1.3mm lead. I have a BP and I like it as well. The pencil and BP feel good in my hand despite being short and stubby. However, I never really felt like buying one of the FP's. Somehow, the FP's just don't do well in my hand. Part of the problem might be the metal section, but it also seems to be the weight and balance of the FP.

I hope you continue to like your E-Motion FP.

I need to stress again the weight issue as it was mentioned here by others.

My MB Virginia Woolf,Crvantes,Jules Vern and all the other Writer Edition pens also my Waterman Edson and few more pens are heavier then this pen and all are great writers so this pen even though it is not a light weight pen is dedinitly not a heavy weight pen.

Respect to all

Thanks for the review goodguy.

I gave away my e-motion because it was a heavy pen that tired my hand out when I used it too long. However my one hand a very flexy nib which was quite a surprise, it was a medium nibbed one though but it was a very dynamic writer. I am surprised to hear that the nib on yours is so rigid.

In rotation:

Pelikan M400 with Pilot Iroshizuku Momiji

Nakaya Kuro-tame Desk Pen with Platinum Blue

Visconti Van Gogh Maxi with Aurora Black

Twitter: @souveran

Glad to hear that you like the FC, as I know you were quite unsure about it when you bought it on Saturday. Sometimes buying a "pig in a poke" can turn out very well; this happened to me when I bought my Visconti Van Gogh Maxi and my Stipula Saturno totally on spec. with no prior research on my part. Both turned out to be very good looking pens and exceptionally nice writers.

Bryan

"The greatest lesson in life is to know that even fools are right sometimes." Winston S. Churchill

I also have the E-motion in Fine, one of my daily writers. Never post so the extra weight of the cap does not come into play.

The metal section does not cause problems (may be due to the position of my fingers?). Can write many pages without any cramps.

The higher end FC pens are IMHO evern better. The section still being metal but have the 'tulip shape', slimmer by a long shot, lighter and nibs that are true to size, never had to send for tuning.

Thank you Goodguy for a very good review. I also bought the E motion on impulse only a couple of weeks ago (medium size nib) and I was very surprised to find that it is one of the best writers I've ever tried. I usually go for the fine nibs, but this medium is very distinct and yet comfortable to use for a fast writer as my self. One thing I especially like is the clean & functional chubby shape and the contrast between the matte wood and the bright and shiny steel. A sort of minimalistic raw elegance. To my own surprise I've come to be very fond of my E motion in a very short time. All the best/Petra

*****the dandelion blog is right here*****

*****the dandelion flickr is right here*****

PS What a beautiful red cat you've got!

Zuzik is a great cat, and also a good judge of a pen. We don't trust Goodguy's reviews without Zuzik's imprimateur.

Edited by troglokev

I second that. My Husband loves the FC Guilloche FP/BP/pencil set I got him and uses it all the time.

The fountain pen is second on the right on this photo -- the Faver Castell Logo looks gorgeous engraved on the cap.

Do FCs have clip caps or screw caps?

Kurt

Kurt

Not sure about the rest of them but my FC is a screw cap.

Respect to all

Kurt

Graf Guilloche range have click caps whereas the Classic range has screw.

In rotation:

Pelikan M400 with Pilot Iroshizuku Momiji

Nakaya Kuro-tame Desk Pen with Platinum Blue

Visconti Van Gogh Maxi with Aurora Black

Twitter: @souveran

An update on the pen.

Since I got the pen it is inked.

The Omas PAragon is at home and I simply CANT stop using this FC pen.

The nib on it has unbelivable amount of feedback,this pen is a joy to use so much that I forgot about my Paragon.

I forget about everything when I use this pen.

Ah life is good.Who said you need to spend hundreds of dollars to enjoy a pen.

Respect to all