Homo sapiens blood

Renzhe

OK so here's what happened. I cut my finger on a pop can. Instead of washing the blood off, which would be a waste, I decided to write with it. I took a small dip pen nib and dipped it (kind of) into the drop of blood on my finger, and wrote. I couldn't write very much. After the first few strokes, it just wouldn't flow down the tines, so I just smeared the nib on the paper. I probably could write more if I had more blood, like from a nosebleed. At first it was a nice bright red. I didn't get a scan of that.

After 5 minutes:

http://i37.tinypic.com/24vtjf4.png

After about 5 more minutes, with a bit of heat applied to speed up the reactions:

http://i38.tinypic.com/2dvrzb.png

Anyway, as an ink, it's not all that great. There are other reds that looks close enough to blood at any level of coagulation, and are fountain-pen safe. However, I don't know of any that change color.

If anyone wants to try this, there's plenty of free blood available at butcher shops. I'd guess pig blood is closest to human blood. Get some EDTA too.

Renzhe

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Dr.Grace

• Renzhe

• JJBlanche

• dogpoet

Oh ya, uh real nice.

Blessed are they that do his commandments, that they may have right

to the tree of life, and may enter in through the gates into the city.

For without are dogs, and sorcerers, and whoremongers, and murderers,

and idolaters, and whosoever loveth and maketh a lie. Revelation 22:14-15

OK so here's what happened. I cut my finger on a pop can. Instead of washing the blood off, which would be a waste, I decided to write with it. I took a small dip pen nib and dipped it (kind of) into the drop of blood on my finger, and wrote. I couldn't write very much. After the first few strokes, it just wouldn't flow down the tines, so I just smeared the nib on the paper. I probably could write more if I had more blood, like from a nosebleed. At first it was a nice bright red. I didn't get a scan of that.

After 5 minutes:

After about 5 more minutes, with a bit of heat applied to speed up the reactions:

Anyway, as an ink, it's not all that great. There are other reds that looks close enough to blood at any level of coagulation, and are fountain-pen safe. However, I don't know of any that change color.

If anyone wants to try this, there's plenty of free blood available at butcher shops. I'd guess pig blood is closest to human blood. Get some EDTA too.

Well, at least nobody can possibly forge that due to the unique DNA :lol:

Martok

"Revenge is a dish best served cold"

-Old Klingon Proverb

Interesting experiment but I think I'll pass on it. Ink is more economical anyway....blood doesn't travel or store well and can be in limited supply at least that's what the blood bank said last time I donated some.

The difference between the almost right word & the right word is really a large matter--it's the difference between the lightning bug and the lightning.

- Mark Twain in a Letter to George Bainton, 10/15/1888

blood doesn't travel or store well

That's odd.

I've been carrying mine around for more than 30 years. And it has gone all over the world with me. Well, not really, I've never been to Australia.

Fool: One who subverts convention or orthodoxy or varies from social conformity in order to reveal spiritual or moral truth.

Interesting experiment but I think I'll pass on it. Ink is more economical anyway....blood doesn't travel or store well and can be in limited supply at least that's what the blood bank said last time I donated some.

Once it has expired at the blood bank I presume it would still be OK for writing. There are all sorts of fantasy literature in which "spells" written in blood are an important plot feature.

Gruesome thought :angry:

Andy

PS: I wonder what is really done with expired blood. Is it useful for anything? Seems a shame to "flush" it. AMH

"Andy Hoffman" Sandy Ego, CA

Torrey View is Andy's BlOG and Facebook me! If you visit my blog, click on the ad. I'll send all proceeds to charity.

For my minutiae, FOLLOW my Twitter.

PS: I wonder what is really done with expired blood. Is it useful for anything? Seems a shame to "flush" it. AMH

I'm guessing the blood can still be used for scientific/biomedical purposes, such as separating out components (proteins, human serum albumin) for development of protein therapeutics.

That's one interesting tidbit in that jack the ripper wrote in ink after complaining that the blood he collected in a ginger beer bottle didn't travel well.

Interesting.

Hope you didn't sign any contracts with this. ;)

~ Manisha

"A traveller am I and a navigator, and everyday I discover a new region of my soul." ~ Kahlil Gibran

So you cut yourself and your first though was, "hey let me soak this up with a dirty pen nib?"

It wasn't dirty! I washed it with one hand, part of the reason I took so long to start writing.

...and David, I was going to write "是眞血也" but as you can see, I didn't get very far. Why would it be from hell? If it's anything, i would be a holy substance, no?

Edited by Renzhe

Renzhe

From Hell is the comic (and, sadly, film) about Jack The Ripper, Renzhe. It's titled after the salutation on the notorious and often quoted from letter Jack (or more likely somebody else entirely) wrote to the Police about his exploits. (IIRC, he stated that he'd written it in red ink as the blood he'd collected from his last victim had clotted quickly and was no good for writing with.)

Oh...my...now I think I've seen everything! :blink:

Now here is someone who is truly obsessed with ink! He becomes (literally) one with the paper! :roflmho:

http://i1293.photobucket.com/albums/b583/vegaspensgifts/19f22284-1711-4350-b09e-ba21c43a4efc_zpsa67fd5ae.jpg

"Business and pleasure in equal measure"

Vegas Fine Pens and Gifts

Like Vegas Fine Pens and Gifts on FB

Follow Vegas Fine Pens and Gifts on Twitter

After 5 minutes:

Is EDTA freely available? I use it the lab all the time but never thought of buying it at the store...

Either way, good for you for trying it, and be sure to let us know how your other bodily fluids work as inks, :P haha.