Pen World article about Fountain Pen Hospital

openionated

While at the bookstore this weekend I was browsing the magazine racks and found a copy of Pen World. There is a short article/interview with Terry Wiederlight about the history of the store and their future.

Some points of interest:

• Mont Blanc is a brand building machine and is easily their largest seller
  • They are planning to expand and improve the website
  • Their relationship with Bill Cosby and how it all began
  • How they survived the 9/11 attacks - Terry discussed how an architectural feature of their building saved the business
  • Terry loves Visconti pens

Great read if you are fan of the store.

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• BillTheEditor

• lak611

• JayJay

• MrRogers

Fountain pen hospital is a GREAT store. A real New York landmark. Living in New York I try to visit it as often as I can. Glad to hear the are getting good press--they deserve it.

www.stevelightart.com

I have never been to New York, but I love buying pens online from Fountain Pen Hospital. They are the very first online retailer that I purchase fountain pens from. I have always gotten great service from them and will continue to use them for pen purchases in the future.

Laura

I hear great things but they are never open on Saturdays which I think is a bit strange and certainly inconvenient. I usually just end up going to joon.

MrR

I hear great things but they are never open on Saturdays which I think is a bit strange and certainly inconvenient. I usually just end up going to joon.

MrR

Not strange at all. Saturday is the Sabbath for some people. I don't work on Sundays, for the same reason. I think it's refreshing to see business owners who put faith ahead of their profits.

I have never been to New York, but I love buying pens online from Fountain Pen Hospital. They are the very first online retailer that I purchase fountain pens from. I have always gotten great service from them and will continue to use them for pen purchases in the future.

They were my first online pen retailer, too. I get great service from them and look forward to going to their store the next time I'm in New York.

MrR

Century 21 in Chicago is also closed on Saturdays. Unfortunatley, I'm more likely to be in Chicago on the weekend rather than during the week.

MrR

Not strange at all. Saturday is the Sabbath for some people. I don't work on Sundays, for the same reason. I think it's refreshing to see business owners who put faith ahead of their profits.

I see your point Bill. I suppose I find it strange due to most other businesses in the city operating on Saturday. It still is however, inconvenient for some and the reason I shop at Joon. Hopefully, I'll be in NY during the week at some point and will be able to stop in and see what I have been missing.

MrR

MrR

If they are closed on Saturday for the Sabbath, are they open on Sunday? Or do they close on both Saturday and Sunday to allow workers of all faiths to practice?

Laura

MrR

If they are closed on Saturday for the Sabbath, are they open on Sunday? Or do they close on both Saturday and Sunday to allow workers of all faiths to practice?

They are closed on Sunday as well. I don't know why. Maybe it's because they like to have the whole weekend off. I know nothing about the faiths of their workers. If you go there, you could ask them.

MrR

Assuming faith even has anything to do with days open or closed in this case, i would guess the faith of the owners- as with most businesses when such issues are in play- determines such things.

regards

david

I figured that they were closed because there was so much less business on days when the financial markets and other nearby businesses were closed.

Two wrongs don't make a right, but three rights make a left.