#1 RevAaron

RevAaron

Antique

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,930 posts

Posted 29 August 2008 - 07:10

Ahoy kids!

I've recently gone a little gaga on the vintage Kaweco Sports. I ended up with one of these V16's in black with a wider OM nib, like it so much I jumped on the wine red V16N. Since then, I got an original-style Sport from the 40s in a trade with an FPN member. A darned shame, but someone has to go to make some room!

NOS Kaweco Sport Set- FP and 2 BPs. Mint, never inked. V16N model. The fountain pen has an Oblique Fine (OF) nib. This is a rare color, at least in my somewhat limited experience. Regardless, it is a very nice color, poorly conveyed by my photos. So far, I've dipped this in water, but I've not even filled it with water yet- don't want to deprive someone of that experience. Like my other V16, the piston is very smooth. The piston looks good in the fountain pen, it's sealing against the barrel. It's a shame they don't make piston filling Sports any more, holds a lot more ink than a Bantam converter or short Int'l cart.

The V16 models are from the 1970s, and share a lot in common with the original sport as well as the newer variety. They're the same length, a bit thinner, and very comfortable to hold. They post longer than the modern Sport and the plastic they're made of is much more durable than the modern Sport, at least the Ice model- little surprise, as they're made of Makrolon, the same indestructible material that makes up the Lamy 2000. My V16 Sport is pretty well used but is almost as scratch free as these NOS pens.

I'm bad at Benz-style salesmanship so I'll just let the photos speak for themselves:

A couple nib shots:

They even have the crusty old Kaweco-made dokument ballpoint refills. I assume they no longer work, but it still is kinda snazzy:

They even come in their original case:

I'm asking $150, which is in line with what other folks are charging for used V16 Sports without matching ballpoints ($80-110). I'm also open to trades, feel free to PM me with your offers.

Also included is my free matched ink service, a $500 value! A sample of R&K Alt Bordeaux would make a great first ink for the fountain pen and will come in a Dillo/KCat ink vial. ($500?! There's a little Benz in all of us.)

If you want the pens without the case, take off $15. I'd be quite happy to keep this case for my other Sports if you don't want it. smile.gif

First PM of "I want it!" gets it. Price includes USPS Priority Mail within the US- CONUS as well as AK and HI. Shipping to Canada or the rest of the world added at cost.

Regards,
Aaron
WTB: Ford's Patent Pen, Pilot Blue ink (Thai)
Also: Orthos Pens | Danish MB #4 nib | 1G Hundred Year Pen cap

#2 RevAaron

RevAaron

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 2,930 posts

Posted 30 August 2008 - 08:22

Here's a little more info in response to a couple PM'd questions.

The pen isn't uncomfortably small- it has a similar girth to a Tuckaway while being a bit longer posted. When capped, it's shorter than a Tuckie, which isn't a bad size for a pocket pen. I've been alternating between the old-school vintage Sport and the black V16 that I have- the OM nib mine has gives a bit of line variation, enough to see the effect in my writing. My OM nib writes more like a Fine point, and I'd assume that OF nib of the V16N being sold writes more like an extra-fine.

Measurements
capped: 100 mm
posted: 135 mm
uncapped: 97 mm

A couple comparison shots:

Capped

From top to bottom: 70s Sport V16 (Black); Sport BP #1; 40s Sport; sale Sport FP (red); modern Sport; sale Sport BP #2; Sheaffer Tuckaway

Posted

From top to bottom: 40s Sport; Sheaffer Tuckaway; sale Sport FP (red); modern Sport; 70s Sport V16 (Black); Parker "51" Vac

Feel free to make an offer or propose a trade. Thanks!

Regards,
Aaron

#3 RevAaron

RevAaron

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 2,930 posts

Posted 31 August 2008 - 04:02

Okidoke, time to reduce Le Pricé! $125, shipped in the US.

Aaron

#4 RevAaron

RevAaron

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 2,930 posts

Posted 06 September 2008 - 21:34

Price reduction to:

$100 shipped in the US.

bump!

Did I mention that this is a piston filler?