Welcome to the Sheaffer Forum!

PenHero

Welcome everyone!

This forum will have a simple focus: Sheaffer!

Whether you enjoy modern Sheaffer pens or vintage,

whether your interest is writing or collecting,

if you like a broad variety of nibs and filling systems,

if you like all that with a dash of history and mystery...

Then welcome!

I'll throw a few new starter topics on the forum today and look for the kind of warm and animated conversation you get in a pen club meeting.

Cheers,

Jim Mamoulides

www.PenHero.com

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• rafizip

• jar

• Don C

• gweimer1

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• 7 months later...

I remember Sheaffer pens from way back in school days when everyone still used pens. Today I got in a barely black Agio and it is nice. In these days when everthing is now being made in China or Mexico, it is a wonder that such a well made pen could still be produced here in the USA for a reasonable price. Maybe not for long? :( Anyway the pen is real nice with a custom grind italic nib from Pendemonium right there in Fort Madison.

As an former seaman who has seen the once great merchant marine just about disappear I'll refrain from commentary about what we've become. I've read the on-line articles about the plant tours and the old nib makers. Consequently I had to have one or two of these pens.

I look forward to a few years yet and will enjoy filling up Moleskines with memoirs using my Sheaffer fountain pen.

Edited by scribble

there are no persons worth knowing except saints, scoundrels, and quacks

J-K Huysmans

Dear Scribble,

Welcome! Sheaffers are my personal favorite.

Checked you site too! Certainly a temptation for another Sheaffer pen there. I ordered the Agio for the italic grind.

there are no persons worth knowing except saints, scoundrels, and quacks

J-K Huysmans

• 9 months later...

Hello everyone. I just joined the network....took a whjile to get here but finally made it!!!! My pride and joy is a Imperial c.1963 that my father gave to me years ago. I t was not until recent that I discovered the joy of the fountain pen so I am now smitten by the allure of this writing instrument. Happy to be here.

• 8 months later...

Thank you x1,000! Got my first Sheaffer in 1966-- the ONLY pen the Holy Child Sisters let us use. Fine points are my favorite. One of the sisters gave me about 100 cartridges and I remember feeling really rich! Where can I get a basic fine point?? Office Depot in Encinitas,CA carries cartridges but not pens!

• 4 months later...
Welcome everyone!

Then welcome!

I'll throw a few new starter topics on the forum today and look for the kind of warm and animated conversation you get in a pen club meeting.

Cheers,

Jim Mamoulides

www.PenHero.com

Welcome everyone!

Then welcome!

Cheers,

Jim Mamoulides

www.PenHero.com

Welcome everyone!

Then welcome!

Cheers,

Jim Mamoulides

www.PenHero.com

• 4 weeks later...

Sheaffers are the first pens that I "collected". (I didn't realize I was a collector till recently, when I counted the number of fountain pens I have, and found this forum!)

My first fountain pen (of my own) was a Sheaffer with a plastic body through which one could see the amount of ink remaining in the cartridge. I remember they cost a dollar. At some point, they made them in different colors (red, green, blue), but opaque enough for one to see the ink.

Currently I have a Sheaffer Legacy, gold plated with an inlaid nib, which is the Queen of my Sheaffer collection. The remainder are a variety of Preludes (gunmetal, rose gold, brushed chrome) and several Targas (gold fluted, black chased rubber and a slim gold cross-hatch version), and a Cobalt Glow Balance II, xf nib.

The Preludes seem to have "medium- fine" nibs with no markings. The Legacy likewise has no marking on the nib but it writes with a near medium line. All are good, smooth writers. With the exception of 2 Targas and the Cobalt Glow, all pens are around 15-20 years old and have been used regularly. They continue to give good service!

• 7 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

This is a great site and a great forum. I was wondering if there might be a FAQ or other resource out there that can tell one (for example) how to refill Snorkel pens? They're great pens but the refilling process is a bit, oh... tricky. Thanks.

Hi,

There are probably other resources available online, but the one that comes to mind is the description at Richard Binder's marvelous site. Click on "Reference Info," then on "Fountain Pen Filling Systems," and finally on "Touchdown and Snorkel." (If you navigate to the Snorkel pen profile, you'll also be able to view an animation of the Snorkel system in operation.)

One thought: pay particular attention to the admonition not to immerse the pen in ink while pulling out the blind cap.

Cheers,

Jon

Hello!

I just joined the site and am excited to see a Sheaffer forum. My first and only fountain pens, dating back some 40 years to junior high school, were Sheaffers. Still have them too! Now I have discovered vintage Sheaffer pens and love them too! They are simply wonderful. I especially love those striated colors.

I am looking forward to learning lots and sharing too when I begin to know something. :)

All the best,

Chris

Very much interested in Life, Liberty, and especially the pursuit of Happiness!

• 1 month later...

Great to be here, I love the Snorkels.. I have 6 working and one not working, but I would like to get all the models first and then the unusual colors.

Real men use fountain pens (and real women use them too).

• 9 months later...
Welcome everyone!

Then welcome!

Cheers,

Jim Mamoulides

www.PenHero.com

Hi, I have just come across a Sheaffer's Balance Limited edition Pen in mint uninked condition Complete with wooden Box & Ink, also all paperwork/certificate c1997, looks like new, the pen is still wrapped. I was just wondering if anybody would know the value of it. Best wishes June

• 6 months later...

I have a Shaeffers unused 1954 Ithink Grey Fountain Pen , not the snorkal one but this one was made in Australia and is called theTipDip Pen, Ill be taking it to the Melbourne pen show on the 18th Oct. if anyone can tell me anything about it, its all grey Gold clip . not a white dot either . Glenn

• 1 month later...

Welcome everyone!

Then welcome!

Cheers,

Jim Mamoulides

www.PenHero.com