Photo

Lobbying for new Noodler's bulletproof purple!

• Please log in to reply
176 replies to this topic

#1 kookychick

kookychick

Potentially Percipicacious

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 355 posts

Posted 22 August 2008 - 05:00

So, as many of you know, I've become utterly obsessed with Noodler's bulletproof inks. On a complete whim, I PM'd Nathan, begging for a bulletproof true purple. I have several Noodler's bulletproof violet/purples, and while I love many of them and will continue to use them, all of the existing colors are too red/magenta/blue to be my perfect dream purple.

I never expected to hear from him--I just thought I'd put in my plea. Within 4 hours, he responded! biggrin.gif

So, here's the deal. Nathan was very gracious and is willing to make a new bulletproof purple, in 1 oz. bottles (though perhaps if there is enough demand, 3 oz. bottles might eventually become available). Pricing will be "within the median range of inks."

One of Nathan's ideas include "a radical combination of the most durable and brilliant 1940s ink technology/materials...with the durability of the 1990s-2000s" with intense contrast and an unusual ink profile. It's possible that it might stain some pens, like the Baystate series, but it sounds like the ink would be amazing! smile.gif

I suggested an electric purple that jumps off the page--kinda like the purple version of Rachmaninov. He's open to giving it a try! Even if it's not electric, a nice, bulletproof purpley purple would be beyond my wildest fantasies! wub.gif

Is anyone else interested? If so, please, please, please email Luxury Brands (the North American distributor): info@lux-brands.com. If 20 people email them, Nathan said "then it will happen."

He's also looking for ideas for the label. Personally, I would love to see something that continues the "royal" theme of La Couleur Royale and The Color of the King. I'd love for this ink to be named after Marie Antoinette, though. According to this book, Marie Antoinette loved royal purple, even though that didn't endear her to her subjects. Any other thoughts on a theme or a name? I've always been impressed with the collective wit of FPN--now's your chance to shine! biggrin.gif

Anyway, if this ink sounds like it might be interesting to you, PLEASE email info@lux-brands.com! I'd also appreciate a PM or post, so I can see if we reach the threshold. Please help make my dream (and perhaps yours?) a reality! Thanks! smile.gif

Inks currently in pens: Noodler's La Reine Mauve, Rachmaninov, Prime of the Commons Blue-Black, Naval Orange, MN Whaleman's Sepia, Verdun Green, Majestic Orange; J. Herbin Violette Pensée, Rose Cyclamen, Orange Indien

Blog Twitter Facebook

#2 kiavonne

kiavonne

Still An Antique

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,173 posts

Posted 22 August 2008 - 05:55

QUOTE (kookychick @ Aug 21 2008, 11:00 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
So, as many of you know, I've become utterly obsessed with Noodler's bulletproof inks. On a complete whim, I PM'd Nathan, begging for a bulletproof true purple. I have several Noodler's bulletproof violet/purples, and while I love many of them and will continue to use them, all of the existing colors are too red/magenta/blue to be my perfect dream purple.

I never expected to hear from him--I just thought I'd put in my plea. Within 4 hours, he responded! biggrin.gif

So, here's the deal. Nathan was very gracious and is willing to make a new bulletproof purple, in 1 oz. bottles (though perhaps if there is enough demand, 3 oz. bottles might eventually become available). Pricing will be "within the median range of inks."

One of Nathan's ideas include "a radical combination of the most durable and brilliant 1940s ink technology/materials...with the durability of the 1990s-2000s" with intense contrast and an unusual ink profile. It's possible that it might stain some pens, like the Baystate series, but it sounds like the ink would be amazing! smile.gif

I suggested an electric purple that jumps off the page--kinda like the purple version of Rachmaninov. He's open to giving it a try! Even if it's not electric, a nice, bulletproof purpley purple would be beyond my wildest fantasies! wub.gif

Is anyone else interested? If so, please, please, please email Luxury Brands (the North American distributor): info@lux-brands.com. If 20 people email them, Nathan said "then it will happen."

He's also looking for ideas for the label. Personally, I would love to see something that continues the "royal" theme of La Couleur Royale and The Color of the King. I'd love for this ink to be named after Marie Antoinette, though. According to this book, Marie Antoinette loved royal purple, even though that didn't endear her to her subjects. Any other thoughts on a theme or a name? I've always been impressed with the collective wit of FPN--now's your chance to shine! biggrin.gif

Anyway, if this ink sounds like it might be interesting to you, PLEASE email info@lux-brands.com! I'd also appreciate a PM or post, so I can see if we reach the threshold. Please help make my dream (and perhaps yours?) a reality! Thanks! smile.gif

I'm all for the 1940's everything-and-the-kitchen-sink ink. I'd prefer a purply purple over electric (I'm not real there on the Russian colors). Yeah, I'll email. smile.gif

A deep Royal Purple bulletproof would work for me.

Edited by kiavonne, 22 August 2008 - 06:19.

Scribere est agere.
To write is to act.

#3 tisfortorrey

tisfortorrey

frosted pastry devotee

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 246 posts

Posted 22 August 2008 - 06:36

QUOTE (kookychick @ Aug 21 2008, 10:00 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I'd love for this ink to be named after Marie Antoinette, though. According to this book, Marie Antoinette loved royal purple, even though that didn't endear her to her subjects. Any other thoughts on a theme or a name? I've always been impressed with the collective wit of FPN--now's your chance to shine! biggrin.gif

I'm definitely interested in this ink as well biggrin.gif And as for a name, and, feel free to veto, but how about 'Noodler's Trianon?' I mean, it's kind of an oblique reference (no fountain pen-related puns intended) to her, but that was certainly one of her favorite places as queen. Also, I just like the sound of it. And, anyway, it sounds better than 'Noodler's The Diamond Necklace Affair.' lticaptd.gif

Edited to note: I emailed Noodler's. I hope to buy this ink soon!

Edited by tisfortorrey, 22 August 2008 - 06:40.

"Voici mon secret. Il est très simple: on ne voit bien qu'avec le coeur. L'essentiel est invisible pour les yeux." - Le Petit Prince

Follow me on Twitter!

#4 Tricia

Tricia

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 905 posts

Posted 22 August 2008 - 08:16

Great idea! Even if it's not electric, I could go with a bulletproof Wampum. I adore that color.

And I'd nominate Madame de Pompadour as the ink name. Her surname was Poisson, so it's a perfect match with the Noodler's icon. biggrin.gif

Marie Antoinette would be fine, too.

(Email sent.)

"He was born with the gift of laughter and a sense that the world was mad." - Scaramouche by Rafael Sabatini

#5 saintsimon

saintsimon

Si tacuisses ...

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,506 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 22 August 2008 - 10:03

The darker, the better ... and legible, it should be. An ink shouldn't hurt your eyes when reading, so "electric" may be too tiresome.

#6 lefty928

lefty928

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 1,081 posts

Posted 22 August 2008 - 11:28

QUOTE (saintsimon @ Aug 22 2008, 06:03 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
The darker, the better ... and legible, it should be. An ink shouldn't hurt your eyes when reading, so "electric" may be too tiresome.

I'm looking for a purple black, like a purple Zhivago -- not electric and more on the blue side than the red burgundy-ish side, and water-resistant.

Posted Image

#7 freznow

freznow

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 97 posts

Posted 22 August 2008 - 11:42

QUOTE (saintsimon @ Aug 22 2008, 06:03 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yeah, something noticeably purple but not eyepopping. The only purple I have right now is Pelikan Violet, and I'd like something a little bit darker and, if possible, with more depth than that, though the color itself I like.

#8 MVice78

MVice78

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 284 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 22 August 2008 - 12:05

Ooooh! A nice dark purple would be nice. Something like that and waterproof would be great for anything I send to my sister!
Posted Image

#9 RoyalBlue

RoyalBlue

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 242 posts

Posted 22 August 2008 - 21:07

My choice of name for the new ink would be Noodler's Tyrian Purple, because this very expensive colour was famed throughout the ancient world and the name was redolent of great opulence and majesty. Somehow fitting for the French royal court also, maybe.

Coming back down to ground, I'll happily send an e-mail too!

Good luck with the mission,
Thomas

#10 GardenWeasel

GardenWeasel

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 992 posts

Posted 22 August 2008 - 21:10

email sent.... and for a label, how 'bout something with Jimmy Hendrix rolleyes.gif
Posted Image

#11 Zarble44

Zarble44

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 140 posts

Posted 22 August 2008 - 21:47

I love bulletproof inks. Purple's great. Eggplant ... not so much. I'll send the email now.

Time flies like an arrow;
Fruit flies like a banana.
---- Groucho Marx

#12 FrankB

FrankB

Museum Piece

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,225 posts

Posted 22 August 2008 - 23:03

I have been getting on with Noodler's "Iraqi Indigo" pretty well, though a new waterproof purple would suit me just fine. Like some of the others, I would prefer a purply purple over an electric color. The MB Lavender is a rich black/purple that I really like. With waterproof chacteristics, it would be a great ink.

I very much like the idea of introducing an ancient theme to the name of a royal purple ink. Byzantium was known as a source of royal purple dyes and purple trade goods for centuries. "Byzantine Purple" sounds good to me, but I have no problem with the "Tyrian Purple" idea.

Edited: I have sent my e-mail supporting this idea.

Edited by FrankB, 23 August 2008 - 06:36.

#13 acfrery

acfrery

Alejandro

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 618 posts

Posted 22 August 2008 - 23:11

Great initiative.
I have just sent an email supporting the idea.

Alejandro

#14 Lloyd

Lloyd

Can a nib be smoothed by psychokinesis?

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,511 posts
  • Location:Trapped inside of a snowglobe that is resting upon a mantel in a home in Massachusetts

Posted 23 August 2008 - 00:10

QUOTE (FrankB @ Aug 22 2008, 07:03 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
The MB Lavender is a rich black/purple that I really like. With waterproof chacteristics, it would be a great ink.

I find this ink does have very good water-resistance (not water-proof but still quite good).
"Anyone who lives within their means suffers from a lack of imagination."
Oscar Wilde

#15 Deirdre

Deirdre

Stipula Ventidue Ti Nib Adoption Agency

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,121 posts

Posted 23 August 2008 - 00:43

Sent an email committing to 5 bottles. I don't care how bright it is, as long as it's not muddy.
deirdre.net
"Heck we fed a thousand dollar pen to a chicken because we could." -- FarmBoy, about Pen Posse

#16 kookychick

kookychick

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 355 posts

Posted 23 August 2008 - 02:01

You guys are the best!! wub.gif The ideas both about the color and label/name are great--keep 'em coming! Let's have more people weigh in, then I'll set up a poll to try and quantify people's thoughts a bit.

Please continue to email the distributor (info@lux-brands.com), everyone! With your help, this ink must be getting closer to becoming a reality! biggrin.gif Thanks to all who already emailed them! thumbup.gif

Inks currently in pens: Noodler's La Reine Mauve, Rachmaninov, Prime of the Commons Blue-Black, Naval Orange, MN Whaleman's Sepia, Verdun Green, Majestic Orange; J. Herbin Violette Pensée, Rose Cyclamen, Orange Indien

Blog Twitter Facebook

#17 PenTieRun

PenTieRun

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 1,642 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 23 August 2008 - 02:07

I've done my part.

I like Thomas's idea for the Tyrian Purple name.

#18 Eternally Noodling

Eternally Noodling

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 366 posts

Posted 23 August 2008 - 02:13

Give me three weeks...samples to follow -

I was thinking of a cute opossum interacting with an amused giant catfish looking up at him from a large twilight pool of partially moonlit water. A night themed ink in tune with a dark and rich purple...one that could be used in business as easily as any blue-black, black, etc...and with an extremely high durability similar to that of Noodler's Black. Is that on the right track? Seems to be 7 out of 10 right now are in that direction. Let me know if you disagree. Not sure of a name, but I have the image of the artwork in my head already and it is certainly another catfish. ;-)

As to the French Queen - I dislike her personally...I guess I would have been with the revolutionaries back then. There is something very un-American in monarchies. No meritocracy at all exists there. There is no reason or enlightenment in a monarchy. "The Queen uses this ink, so it therefore must be the best." is one of the worst phrases I have seen on this board. A label with a Queen would likely show some ridiculous expression on her face or perhaps an ink accident staining her cheek with her being cross eyed.

Well, the main ship upon which the Boston Tea Party took place...was named after the same town Noodler's is in and was owned by a local resident. The King and Queen, monarchy in general...it's somewhat amusing to mock (such as Louis XIV's wig!). It is a tradition that goes back quite a long time. ;-)

Edited by Eternally Noodling, 23 August 2008 - 02:18.

"The pen is mightier than the sword."

The pen could be mightier than the thief and the gun if it is filled with a bulletproof ink too!

May be available again soon, I hope...but not at the moment:
Specialty Fountain Pen Nibs - click here

#19 Deirdre

Deirdre

• Member - Gold

• 10,121 posts

Posted 23 August 2008 - 02:15

QUOTE (Eternally Noodling @ Aug 22 2008, 07:13 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I was thinking of a cute opossum interacting with an amused giant catfish looking up at him from a large twilight pool of partially moonlit water. A night themed ink in tune with a dark and rich purple...one that could be used in business as easily as any blue-black, black, etc...and with an extremely high durability similar to that of Noodler's Black. Is that on the right track? Seems to be 7 out of 10 right now are in that direction. Let me know if you disagree.

Ooh, that sounds lovely. Hmm, maybe 5 bottles wouldn't be enough.... smile.gif
deirdre.net
"Heck we fed a thousand dollar pen to a chicken because we could." -- FarmBoy, about Pen Posse

#20 Possum Hill

Possum Hill

It's just ink. Get a grip.

• Away
  • 3,399 posts

Posted 23 August 2008 - 02:17

QUOTE (Eternally Noodling @ Aug 22 2008, 09:13 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I was thinking of a cute opossum interacting with an amused giant catfish looking up at him from a large twilight pool of partially moonlit water. A night themed ink in tune with a dark and rich purple...one that could be used in business as easily as any blue-black, black, etc...and with an extremely high durability similar to that of Noodler's Black. Is that on the right track? Seems to be 7 out of 10 right now are in that direction. Let me know if you disagree.

A 'possum? Just might work.
"History will be kind to me for I intend to write it." -- Winston Churchill

#21 kookychick

kookychick

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 355 posts

Posted 23 August 2008 - 02:23

QUOTE (Eternally Noodling @ Aug 22 2008, 10:13 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

As to the French Queen - I dislike her personally...I guess I would have been with the revolutionaries back then. There is something very un-American in monarchies. No meritocracy at all exists there. There is no reason or enlightenment in a monarchy. "The Queen uses this ink, so it therefore must be the best." is one of the worst phrases I have seen on this board. A label with a Queen would likely show some ridiculous expression on her face or perhaps an ink accident staining her cheek with her being cross eyed.

Well, the main ship upon which the Boston Tea Party took place...was named after the same town Noodler's is in and was owned by a local resident. The King and Queen, monarchy in general...it's somewhat amusing to mock (such as Louis XIV's wig!). It is a tradition that goes back quite a long time. ;-)

THANK YOU, Nathan! wub.gif

I think a label ridiculing the Queen would be hysterical, and quite in keeping with what I expect from Noodler's! roflmho.gif I would get even more bottles as gifts if they had a label like that! biggrin.gif

I'm not wedded to the idea of having royalty somehow be a part of the label--I just thought it would be an appropriate theme for a rich purple. I love critters, too. smile.gif I personally would prefer that the ink be purple enough that you can tell it's actually a purple instead of only being able to tell it's purple if you squint really hard at it in bright light. wink.gif Just my vote, though! smile.gif

Blog Twitter Facebook

#22 zquilts

zquilts

MZJohansen

• Member - Gold

• 1,881 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 23 August 2008 - 02:25

I sent an email too. I like the Jimi Hendrix idea too.

#23 Eternally Noodling

Eternally Noodling

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 366 posts

Posted 23 August 2008 - 02:39

QUOTE (kookychick @ Aug 23 2008, 03:23 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE (Eternally Noodling @ Aug 22 2008, 10:13 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

THANK YOU, Nathan! wub.gif

I think a label ridiculing the Queen would be hysterical, and quite in keeping with what I expect from Noodler's! roflmho.gif I would get even more bottles as gifts if they had a label like that! biggrin.gif

I'm not wedded to the idea of having royalty somehow be a part of the label--I just thought it would be an appropriate theme for a rich purple. I love critters, too. smile.gif I personally would prefer that the ink be purple enough that you can tell it's actually a purple instead of only being able to tell it's purple if you squint really hard at it in bright light. wink.gif Just my vote, though! smile.gif

It will be manifestly purple to the average eye. As to the queen in a label, which queen? Should probably pick a live one...as mocking the dead might be in bad taste (well, maybe....). ;-)

The pen could be mightier than the thief and the gun if it is filled with a bulletproof ink too!

#24 Imzadi

Imzadi

No cutting in line !!!!!

• Member - Gold

• 1,074 posts

Posted 23 August 2008 - 02:40

I emailed also!
Growing old is mandatory, growing up is optional.
Never be afraid to try something new.
Remember, amateurs built the ark.
Professionals built the Titanic.

#25 Eternally Noodling

Eternally Noodling

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 366 posts

Posted 23 August 2008 - 02:40

QUOTE (zquilts @ Aug 23 2008, 03:25 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I sent an email too. I like the Jimi Hendrix idea too.

Jimi Hendrix is themed already in a PR ink, correct?

#26 kiavonne

kiavonne

Still An Antique

• Member - Gold

• 3,173 posts

Posted 23 August 2008 - 02:42

QUOTE (Eternally Noodling @ Aug 22 2008, 08:13 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I was thinking of a cute opossum interacting with an amused giant catfish looking up at him from a large twilight pool of partially moonlit water. A night themed ink in tune with a dark and rich purple...one that could be used in business as easily as any blue-black, black, etc...and with an extremely high durability similar to that of Noodler's Black. Is that on the right track? Seems to be 7 out of 10 right now are in that direction. Let me know if you disagree. Not sure of a name, but I have the image of the artwork in my head already and it is certainly another catfish. ;-)

Perfect!

Let the purple shine in the moonlight!

Like Deirdre, I'm in for multiple bottles, though probably only 3 to start. Though, knowing me, it would end up being 5 lol. I want to see it, Nathan, and I'm excited that kookychick steamrolled into your shop with this! Dang, reminds me of me when I was a little younger...

Scribere est agere.
To write is to act.

#27 kookychick

kookychick

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 355 posts

Posted 23 August 2008 - 03:09

QUOTE (Eternally Noodling @ Aug 22 2008, 10:40 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Jimi Hendrix is themed already in a PR ink, correct?

Yes, PR has a "Purple Haze" ink--it's a really light, washed-out purple. (I had it at one point, but disliked it and traded it away! embarrassed_smile.gif )

Blog Twitter Facebook

#28 Deirdre

Deirdre

• Member - Gold

• 10,121 posts

Posted 23 August 2008 - 03:10

How about Purple Reign?

I thought of that on my way home, had to pull over I was giggling so hard.
deirdre.net

#29 kookychick

kookychick

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 355 posts

Posted 23 August 2008 - 03:12

QUOTE (Deirdre @ Aug 22 2008, 11:10 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
How about Purple Reign?

I thought of that on my way home, had to pull over I was giggling so hard.

Heh--great minds think alike! I thought of that on my way home, too--Prince's "1999" was playing on the radio.... smile.gif

Blog Twitter Facebook

#30 kookychick

kookychick

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 355 posts

Posted 23 August 2008 - 03:15

QUOTE (kiavonne @ Aug 22 2008, 10:42 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I want to see it, Nathan, and I'm excited that kookychick steamrolled into your shop with this! Dang, reminds me of me when I was a little younger...

Aw, shucks, kiavonne! embarrassed_smile.gif Thanks! smile.gif

Blog Twitter Facebook