Quick Chestnut (Chataigne) Ink Review

Emma

Hello all, this is my first ink review, so bear with me!

Overview:

Ink: Chestnut (Penman Fountain Pen Colours)

Price: £4 ($8), 30ml

Feathering: None

Dry/Wet: In the middle

Waterproof: No, but water-based

Permanent: No

Smudge-proof: Dries after 40 seconds

This ink is called Chestnut, and I bought it from the Scribbler's site, where it's listed as a Penman ink.

When the bottle arrived, it said Couleur Surfine on the label, but it works fine in fountain pens, and is water-

based.

post-4024-1219169539_thumb.jpg

The ink has a nice flow to it (I wrote the scans out in a Stipula Ventidue 22 (new style) with a 1.1 italic nib),

and dries fairly quickly (although it does still smudge a little bit even after 30 seconds). It doesn't seem to

dry up at all, even when the cap of the pen is off, and produces a very light, gentle line which the scan

actually makes look darker than it is.

No feathering or bleeding on my Ciak paper (and I've written on both sides of the Ciak page so you can see

how much it shades through). Certainly not a bulletproof or waterproof ink, but produces considerable shading

with a broader nib. It almost looks like a more golden version of Herbin Cacao de Brésil which I use a lot

(and looks a little like a lighter Herbin Black Tea, which I don't have any experience of using yet so can't really judge).

post-4024-1219169549_thumb.jpg

It certainly looks nice on the cream Ciak paper to me, but I'm not sure it will compete with the 'big browns'

(Private Reserve Chocolat, Noodlers Walnut, Waterman Havana Brown and so on). Still, a pretty ink as the late

summer fades into autumn, not that we had any summer over here in the UK (groan groan...) :(

Emma

Edited by Emma

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Emma

• Inkanthropist

• saintsimon

• JFT

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Oh, that's very nice indeed! The Ciak paper is looking good, too.

Neil

[FPN ACCOUNT ABANDONED. I AM NO LONGER ACTIVE HERE, BUT AM SADLY UNABLE TO CLOSE MY ACCOUNT AND DELETE MY POSTS.]

The Penman Classical Transparent fountain pen inks are available on ebay and on this site , too.

The names may be different, though. I have their Obsidian Brown and Violet Agate, which I purchased alongside some dip nibs. Nice inks.

Interesting...Scribbler's doesn't carry the Peridot, Blackman's doesnt' carry the Chestnut, and IIRC, the manufacturer doesn't sell retail at all. Wonder if anyone carries all of the colors!

:) Ann

Wow very nice combo ink/paper!

Cream paper makes it just a tad more difficult to see precisely the color. How is it compared to Herbin Lie de Thé?

Lamy AL-star - 1.1 (Omas Violet)

Nakaya Celluloid Mottishaw F Flex (PR Arabian Rose)

Omas Bologna - M (Noodler's Golden Brown)

Pelikan M620 Grand Place - Binder XF/XXF Flex (Noodler's Navajo Turquoise)

Stipula 22 - 0.9 (Waterman Florida Blue)

Waterman Patrician - M (Waterman Florida Blue)

Sadly, I don't have any Herbin Lie de Thé to compare with the Chestnut, JFT, but hopefully this

third scan shows what the colour looks like on white paper (here on a Clairfontaine Age Bag

notebook).

post-4024-1219673573_thumb.jpg

Wow very nice combo ink/paper!

Cream paper makes it just a tad more difficult to see precisely the color. How is it compared to Herbin Lie de Thé?

Edited by Emma

Nice review, nice ink, nice paper and lovely handwriting!

I've got two of these Penman inks, Violet Agate and Hematite Grey, but for some reason they don't seem to be free-flowing enough in any of my pens. My wife now uses the Violet Agate in her (my) 78G.......

http://www.aysedasi.co.uk

She turned me into a newt.......

Sadly, I don't have any Herbin Lie de Thé to compare with the Chestnut

Hmm, I think I have a spare cartridge of Lie de Thé. I'll see if I can get it in the post to you tomorrow.

Neil

[FPN ACCOUNT ABANDONED. I AM NO LONGER ACTIVE HERE, BUT AM SADLY UNABLE TO CLOSE MY ACCOUNT AND DELETE MY POSTS.]

Thanks, Neil! I didn't know Lie de Thé came in cartridge form.

I'll get some comparative writing samples up when the cartridge arrives.

Emma

Hmm, I think I have a spare cartridge of Lie de Thé. I'll see if I can get it in the post to you tomorrow.

Neil

• 2 weeks later...

Here's a brief update, with some other browns to compare against the Chestnut.

post-4024-1220624736_thumb.jpg

Edited to improve image.

Edited by Emma

Very nice!

Neil

Thanks again for the may sample that ink is gorgeous.

Lamy AL-star - 1.1 (Omas Violet)

Nakaya Celluloid Mottishaw F Flex (PR Arabian Rose)

Omas Bologna - M (Noodler's Golden Brown)

Pelikan M620 Grand Place - Binder XF/XXF Flex (Noodler's Navajo Turquoise)

Stipula 22 - 0.9 (Waterman Florida Blue)

Waterman Patrician - M (Waterman Florida Blue)

Nice review, but I thought that the Penman brown ink was called "Mocha". Is this another incarnation or something?

Juan

This is not about Parker Penman ink.

This is a totally different, little known manufacturer with their own ink line: (Classical Transparent) Penman ink by C. Roberson & Co.

Look at the links povided in the early posts regarding their selections available.

:happyberet:

This is a totally different, little known manufacturer with their own ink line: (Classical Transparent) Penman ink by C. Roberson & Co.

It's interesting that the inks are called Classical Transparent, as the first thing I thought when I received a vial of Chestnut from Emma (who wrote the original review) was that it's a thin, semi-transparent formulation. I don't mean that as a criticism; it's just an observation (and probably one brought about my usual use of thicker, more saturated inks like Noodler's).

Neil

It's interesting that the inks are called Classical Transparent, as the first thing I thought when I received a vial of Chestnut from Emma (who wrote the original review) was that it's a thin, semi-transparent formulation. I don't mean that as a criticism; it's just an observation (and probably one brought about my usual use of thicker, more saturated inks like Noodler's).

Neil

Roberson has also other lines of ink for dip pens and such. The Classical Transparents are simply their dedicated fountain pen inks, it seems to me.

Edited by saintsimon