Rotring and Lamy

paco638

I'm thinking about buying a Lamy Safari FP and Rotring Core FP. I have read nothing but good reviews on them from the few posts I saw. Just looking for a few cheaper pens. Can anyone else give me some feedback on these 2 pens? How they write? Are they smooth? Any feedback would be greatly appreciated. :)

Any feedback on what I should ink them with would be awesome as well..

Thanks to all who have helped me. This site is wonderful!!!!

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• saintsimon

• paco638

• Goodwhiskers

• KCat

Hi,

Both are smooth, good, writers. Both are a bit wet in my experience.

Dillon

Stolen: Aurora Optima Demonstrator Red ends Medium nib. Serial number 1216 and Aurora 98 Cartridge/Converter Black bark finish (Archivi Storici) with gold cap. Reward if found. Please contact me if you have seen these pens.

Please send vial orders and other messages to fpninkvials funny-round-mark-thing gmail strange-mark-thing com. My shop is open once again if you need help with your pen.

Will someone with the name of "Jay" who emailed me through the email system provide me an email address? There was no email address provided, so I can't write back.

Dillon

I have 2 cores. They came with converters but due to a lack of store that stock anything other than MB and the fact that I haven't ordered my Florida Blue yet, I can only tell you about the MB cartridges and bottle black. I also have a Rivette that has a simailar nib on it. The core that I have has an XS nib and lays down a med. wet fine line. Very smooth and not as scratchy as the Rivette. The Rivette has an F nib that is the same as the one found in the 600 ro Newton series. a Even as an F this one is much wetter and thicker and also feathers on regular paper. The Core doesn't feather much at all. I use them daily on cheap copy paper so if they write well on that then how can you go wrong? I have never tried the Safari so I can't compare them but I would have no problems reccomending the Core. Also you can't beat the price! The first was a gift and the second was an Ebay purchase I think with overseas shipping from France I got (2) Rivettes and a Core for under $20? Can't beat that! If I have time on Moday I will try to scan a sample. PM me and remind me.

Best use of a pen:

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y196/Gator_b8/DANNYSICOVER.jpg

I got an old Lamy Safari from my father-in-law, fitted a convertor and it's great. I've never bothered with steel nibbed pens but the Safari is superbly smooth. An as Dillo rightly says it writes on the wet side (Waterman Florida Blue).

The pen I find also extremely comfortable.

Gary

A wizard is never late, he arrives precisely when he means to.

Hi all,

I am amazed you all find the Safari a wet writer. I have them all, and not a single one is. I think it is a rather dry writer, not extremely dry, mind you, but about 4-4.5 on a scale of 10, where 0 is dry and 10 is extremely wet.

The Lamy gold nibs are wet writers, yes, but they are the opposite, about 8 or 9 on the same scale. A Lamy gold M writes like a B+ because of the ink flow...

If you look at some of my ink reviews, you can see the Safari steel nibs are quite dry compared to other nibs, like the Namiki VP nibs and Stipula nibs. JME... :D

Warm regards, Wim

the Mad Dutchman
laugh a little, love a little, live a lot; laugh a lot, love a lot, live forever

I´ll second that - I´ve got 5 Safaris, and I´ve never found them to be particularly wet. I´d say they are just average in terms of flow. The one I´ve got with a B nib is actually rather dry, which makes it feel like a M nib.

All things considered, they are excellent pens, and write much better than many 100+ USD pens I´ve tested.

Edited by Rique

My Safaris have unusual feeds. Each feed is in two parts. The smaller part forms a roof on top of the larger part. I wonder if Lamy puts two part feeds into any of its other pens ?

Wow, a lot of you find factory-spec Lamy Safaris dry :huh: ?

Is that from your vintage pen experience?

My factory-spec, store demonstrator Cross ATX medium is a bit wetter than my Safari M, and that's as wet as I'd rather go.

Would anyone who has Safari, ATX and Core mind telling us how they compare in wetness? Thanks.

Well I bought both the Safari and the Core. Plus I have the Cross ATX so I can let you know what I think once I get the 2 Pens.

Thanks for all who replied to my post.. :)

Hi all,

I am amazed you all find the Safari a wet writer. I have them all, and not a single one is. I think it is a rather dry writer, not extremely dry, mind you, but about 4-4.5 on a scale of 10, where 0 is dry and 10 is extremely wet.

The Lamy gold nibs are wet writers, yes, but they are the opposite, about 8 or 9 on the same scale. A Lamy gold M writes like a B+ because of the ink flow...

If you look at some of my ink reviews, you can see the Safari steel nibs are quite dry compared to other nibs, like the Namiki VP nibs and Stipula nibs. JME... :D

Warm regards, Wim

Hi,

I agree with Wim,How can people say to Lamy Safari is a wet pen?WOW!!!Man you guys have too dry writing preferences. :blink: but Lamy Safari is very smooth writer.If you want wet and funky looking pen go for the Core,for dry writing normal looking (compared to the Core)pen your best bet is Lamy Safari.

Take Care

Emrecan

Greetings from İstanbul

the pen is in my avatar is LAMY Studio Palladium 14K

To add some more confusion, I find my Medium Safari to be moderate in terms of feed, and my EF model is quite dry.

The Core is a very comfortable pen, but I am always conscious that I am writing with a Core whenever I use it. It distracts me. The Lamy is cleaner looking- and I think a very well designed instrument.

I’m also a little self conscious about the Core. People find me strange as it is for using a fountain pen as it is- and the core is less than inconspicuous (and rather unfortunate looking, imo).

-Ryan

Hi all,

i found mine to write dry as well - part of why it went to my daughter who isn't nearly so picky as I am. I thought at first it was just the Lamy ink (which leaves a lot to be desired) but even my saturated inks lost some of their oomph.

i wonder if there's a difference based on when purchased? I bought mine in something like 98 or 99. are newer Safaris wetter?

KCat
Save animal lives - support your local animal shelter

My personal blog https://kcdockalscribbling.com

My nature blog https://kcbeachscribbles.com
Venerable are letters, infinitely brave, forlorn, and lost. V. Woolf, Jacob's Room

Maybe it is just the nib quality variation.The plastic feeds should be allways the same.

could be - certainly we see a lot of variation in different brands.

i found the nib on mine to be smooth and yet... toothy? no. not really the right word. The best way I know to describe it is that it *sounded* scratchy and there was more feedback from the paper when writing with it. But it wasn't at all scratchy but quite a smooth writer. never did quite understand that and haven't had any other pen with a similar quality. I liked the anodized nib and it was a good quality pen. I just didn't use it enough and daughter loved it so...

KCat
Save animal lives - support your local animal shelter

My personal blog https://kcdockalscribbling.com

My nature blog https://kcbeachscribbles.com
Venerable are letters, infinitely brave, forlorn, and lost. V. Woolf, Jacob's Room

Well I got both my pens today. I put Noodler's Midnight Blue in the Safari. It is a very smooth pen but I also found it rather dry. With the core I used the Catridge that it came with. That was smooth as well and a bit more wet. So far nothing is as wet as my Cross ATX with Sheaffers Blue ink in it. I'm going to put the Skrip in the Core tonight. See how that is.

I have a question. Does the Rotring use a special piston filler? Mine didn't come with one today. I tried to fill it using a spare one I had lying around and it would not fill. They are going to send me the filler. I really don't want to use the cartridges. Please let me know.

PS When I bought mine, I paid $25 and it came with a convertor, when did they start costing extra?

Here in Germany the Safaris (actually, only the yellow is called Safari here, the others are sky (blue), s2(black) and hot (red)) cost MSRP € 14,90 and are sold 'naked' with an unopened cartridge inside.

Even the Lamy Studio comes without a converter (Studio Stainless Steel € 39,90)