If MB would produce the 139 again would you buy it ?

goodguy

Since we're dreaming aloud, how about they do something a little more out of the box, yet historic, same general pen and brown celluloid with just a little more variation?

Edited by sarahfar

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• zaddick

• meiers

• niksch

• Bryant

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Just a personal opinion, likely offering a minority view, with absolutely no intention to upset.

Try as I might, I cannot seem to get excited about a buying a MB copy of a MB. I still don't get the 'Hemingway' thing (takes cover to avoid incoming) :unsure:

We currently have a television advert for a VW Golf, here in Britain, which shows a salesman trying to sell an alternative make of car by using the supposedly convincing line "If you listen carefully, it sounds just like a Golf".

I love my MB 139 because of what it was in its day and what it represented. I love the period from which it came and the fact that I own (for want of a better expression) a genuine piece of history. For me the MB 139 is an iconic pen which remarkably, like all such pens of its time, still does exactly what it was designed to do all those years ago, with genuine style.

You can't imagine how pleased I would be to have the opportunity to 'show off' with a long-rehearsed reply to a stranger enquiring about my Grail Pen, whilst using it.

I can fully appreciate a pen being broadly influenced by some glorious model of the past. Somehow however, I just can’t see me saying "If you watch carefully, it writes just like a 139".

If MB would produce the 139 again would you buy it? No. I would put the money towards another 139.

Pavoni

If I could get a 139 at a 149 price, I'd jump at it. For $1,000 I'd expect pretty close to a L 139 replica, celluloid and all.

What's so funny about Peace, Love, and Understanding?

Just a personal opinion, likely offering a minority view, with absolutely no intention to upset.

Try as I might, I cannot seem to get excited about a buying a MB copy of a MB. I still don't get the 'Hemingway' thing (takes cover to avoid incoming) :unsure:

We currently have a television advert for a VW Golf, here in Britain, which shows a salesman trying to sell an alternative make of car by using the supposedly convincing line "If you listen carefully, it sounds just like a Golf".

I love my MB 139 because of what it was in its day and what it represented. I love the period from which it came and the fact that I own (for want of a better expression) a genuine piece of history. For me the MB 139 is an iconic pen which remarkably, like all such pens of its time, still does exactly what it was designed to do all those years ago, with genuine style.

You can't imagine how pleased I would be to have the opportunity to 'show off' with a long-rehearsed reply to a stranger enquiring about my Grail Pen, whilst using it.

I can fully appreciate a pen being broadly influenced by some glorious model of the past. Somehow however, I just can't see me saying "If you watch carefully, it writes just like a 139".

If MB would produce the 139 again would you buy it? No. I would put the money towards another 139.

Pavoni

No incoming from me.

What's so funny about Peace, Love, and Understanding?

If it is of the price of 149, I will celebrate and buy it :roflmho:

If it is of the $1000 LE, I will be quite sad for my wallet and finally still buy it :thumbup:

If is purely beautiful :puddle:

I can fully appreciate a pen being broadly influenced by some glorious model of the past. Somehow however, I just can’t see me saying "If you watch carefully, it writes just like a 139".

Pavoni

In my opinion this comment describe totally the problem of "new made old things". It is not posible to transfer the history of a item, you can only copy/transfer the design and the technical specification, not the history. A good example is the FIAT 500 or the MINI. You see the car and you are sure it is a FIAT 500, the second look says, the new made car, well made but new. At the end; original is original.

The DeLorean is the best example for a succesfully and nearly original car re-launch, „remanufactured“ with original parts of the past. ( what I read so far )

kind regards

Max

HANDMADE PENS : www.astoriapen.hamburg ; REPAIRSERVICE : www.maxpens.de ; by MONTBLANC recommended repair service for antique pens

I don't get the Hemingway thing either, but adore my Dumas. A good design is a good design, no matter what year it's made. Probably why one car in my family outlasted 2 of its owners until we sold it to someone who could do the bodywork we couldn't afford. :embarrassed_smile:

139 made from jade green Celluloid, looks good, but unusual.

kind regards

Max

That is AMAZING. Add an ink window, and it's PERFECT.

As to the 139 at a decent price (even if more expensive than the 149) - in a heartbeat.

Too many pens; too little writing.

Since Montblanc seemingly wants to leave the 149 'as is' (preserving the iconic look), using the 139 to showcase Platinum trims and other materials would be a good way to meet demand.

As to the 139 at a decent price (even if more expensive than the 149) - in a heartbeat.

Do not misunderstand me, but the barrel included the inkwindow, this is normal with the green or grey striated material. Maybe you do not own a striated celluloid pen made in the 50´s ?

kind regards

Max

post-13171-0-46642000-1329938233.jpg

HANDMADE PENS : www.astoriapen.hamburg ; REPAIRSERVICE : www.maxpens.de ; by MONTBLANC recommended repair service for antique pens

I agree with Pavoni's comments. The history of the pen is very important to me as a vintage Pelikan and Montblanc collector. There is not substitute for the original pen. I would take the funds and buy another 139 from Max!

Do not misunderstand me, but the barrel included the inkwindow, this is normal with the green or grey striated material. Maybe you do not own a striated celluloid pen made in the 50´s ?

kind regards

Max

window139green.jpg

I don't. And I wish I did. And my life isn't complete. And you're making me cry. :puddle: :crybaby:

That pen is simply astonishing.

Too many pens; too little writing.

I would get one but expect the price to be considerably higher than $1,000, maybe $1,500 or more. There has been pent up demand for the 139 judging by the popularity of vintage models that fetch around $3,000 (condition dependent). Hemingway, the closest modern example to the 139 remains in demand despite the 30,000 or so pens produced.

If MB keeps the 149 nib and simply retools for a Hemingwayesq type model in black I think the reborn 139 will be an instant hit. Make that a double hit if they go with one in burgundy as well following their other meisterstuck color. They could release it as a special edition first testing the waters for demand and then slowly build up the production. This would create both (1) limited inital supply driving up the demand of us pen nuts; (2) maintain exclusivity as the next MB gotta have it pen; and (3) allow them to test the waters before committing whole hog into big production numbers.

Yes, the Hemingway remains in demand with insane prices paid weekly on ebay.

And I get to hear another tell me a tale of woe how they turned it down for $500 when it was first issued, shopkeepers and their addict customers.

• 2 weeks later...

I would definitively buy a new made MB 139 when the original telescopic piston mechanism was included...

This was- and still is - the perfect piston filler mechanism.

I would definitively not buy a version with the actual fragile plastic piston lead screw,

I've repaired/replaced too many sheared MB leadscrews.

This weak lead screw design- being the "Achilles heel" (*) of the otherwise perfect MB pens ,does not belong in the excellent pens MB makes.

Just my 2 cents...

Francis

(*) = quoting my friend & FPN member Hari

Edited by fountainbel

139 made from jade green Celluloid, looks good, but unusual.

kind regards

Max

simply beautiful :notworthy1: :puddle:

Pens are like watches , once you start a collection, you can hardly go back. And pens like all fine luxury items do improve with time

• 5 years later...