If MB would produce the 139 again would you buy it ?

goodguy

I'm not sure of the reason behind shorter ink windows on the later 13x series pens, but I'm sure it's because of changes in the manufacturing process.

The pens with long ink-view windows had telescopic pistons which occupied less space within the barrel, thus allowing for the longer window.

The later short window pens had standard pistons.

Another Torelli 139, and, as with Axel's, no ink view:

post-4689-1218039546_thumb.jpg

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• zaddick

• meiers

• niksch

• Bryant

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The pens with long ink-view windows had telescopic pistons which occupied less space within the barrel, thus allowing for the longer window.

Will have to check my transistional 136s, but I thought they had telescoping pistons also. Maybe they are two-stage versus three stage mechanisms.

Eric

Hard times don't last, but hard people do.

Thank a Veteran.

The pens with long ink-view windows had telescopic pistons.... The later short window pens had standard pistons.

As far as I know there shall be no difference in the pistons. My 13xs with the short ink window all have telecopic pistons like the older models. And also my 14x from the 50' have telescopic pistons.

BTW, you've got a very nice Torelli's as well!

Axel

Axel

Montblanc collector since 1968. Former owner of the Montblanc Boutique Bremen, retired 2007 and sold it.
Collecting Montblanc safeties, eyedroppers, lever fillers, button fillers, compressors - all from 1908 - 1929,
Montblanc ephemera and paraphernalia from 1908 to 1929,
Montblanc Meisterstück from 1924 up to the 50s,
Montblanc special and limited editions from 1991 to 2006

Greetings.

Intersting topic.

I love fountain pens, I love old montblancs as well.

And I love big pens.

So, this is the particular combination that make me love the 139's. (I have four).

And the Parker duofold senior from the 20's and 30's

The conway stewart 100

The waterman #7 and #56 (or #58)

The sheaffers flat tops from the 20's

The vacumatic maxima

The vacumatic oversize

The parker senior streamlineds from the late 30's.

But the 139 is different (and the rarer 129's).

A strong pen, not so long as the parker duofold.

The nib is fantastic .

But talking on new montblancs, I am a litle concern about the quality.

You have on one side the fantastic limited editions, some as the same size as the 139 (the hemingway and the dumas)

But at the same time you have the hundred year series, some of the most low quality pens I ever see ...

(I am not talking about the starwalker special serie, with a diamond inside the cap top).

And we have to remember an important issue:

The feeder!

So, most of the 70's 149s still have the hard rubber feeder, and it is a very reliable tool, that improove the ink flow and it is very different than the actual plastic models ...

As I wrote before, I have four 139 models.

One very early model, with a flat feeder and without stripes, a full hard rubber cap, big star, and a "250" gold nib.

Later models have nibs like 149 nibs, but with an "139" inscription on the botton.

And just to complete the informations that you have, the Torelli pens are not Montblanc pens, and are not vintage pens (at least not from the 40's or 50's).

It was made using 139 metal parts, but not celuloid, most with acrilic plastic (translucid red, yellow, and others).

But I think they have about 20 years old.

Botton line, I think that Montblanc decides to remake the 139, it may have a strong chance to be like the actual 149's.

Plastic body(precious resin -sic), hard nibs, injected plastic feeders) as many of the limited editions.

But not necessarily a pleasure to write.

In this case, I recommend an 149 or 146 from the 70's, not expensive pens, but with the hard rubber feed, and flexible nibs.

Regards !

• 3 years later...

It seems Astoria are offering a 139 lookalike. Regrettably it is almost as expensive as a Hemingway or a real 139. I am surprised no one has created a reasonably priced 139 lookalike by now, although I suppose the Delta Dolce Vita comes close.

Edited by RSVP

This is why the FPN is so interesting - coming across old posts like this, crammed with nuggets of information. I didn't know about the difference in white stars or the Torelli versions. Love it. :clap1:

Pavoni

Here are some quick pics I took some time ago. I know the picture quality is not great, but I hope it serves the purpose. blush.gif

cheers

Wael

http://i563.photobucket.com/albums/ss78/waeleldasher/a8abae5e.jpg

http://i563.photobucket.com/albums/ss78/waeleldasher/7d85357c.jpg

http://i563.photobucket.com/albums/ss78/waeleldasher/fdf10d14.jpg

“Non Impediti Ratione Cogitationis”

Yes I would buy it. But I would go black, and give it as vintage-ized feel as possible, ink window trim and patina like off white snow flake. I also think a combination with and gold cap band like vintage 149 would be great. Just my view, but can't see how it wouldn't be a hit.

The Astoria is Max, is it not?

Fred

Hi Fred, Yes, Astoria is my brand for handmade Ebonite pens. The diameter of the Goliath is a little less (0.5mm) compared with a 139. It is between a 138 and 139. The Export price for FPN members is 795.- Euro, push button system ( PB ), with piston filling system ( PF ) we have 835.- Euro Export price.

kind regards

Max

HANDMADE PENS : www.astoriapen.hamburg ; REPAIRSERVICE : www.maxpens.de ; by MONTBLANC recommended repair service for antique pens

In 3 weeks' time, I will be at the factory :bunny01:

When I have the slightest opportunity, I intend to fall to the floor, grovel and wail and beg :notworthy1: for them to do another 139 design. Like the Hemi, Dumas or Year of the Golden Dragon 2000, and of course some of the skeletons. It remains, without a doubt, the most handsome pen shape ever! :cloud9:

It has to be with the '9' nib, not the '6' with a wider barrel.

Best regards, Kai

Montblanc 13x, #20/25/30/40, 244/6 Green Marbled, 322 Azure Blue, 234 1/2 G/PL, 256, 220, 34.

Montblanc 144G Grey, 146G Green Striated, 146 Silver Barley, 149 (50s-00s).

Montblanc WE Christie, Imperial Dragon, Wilde, Dumas, Dostoevsky, Proust, Schiller, Verne, Mann, Twain. PoA Prince Regent, Morgan...

Visconti Pontevecchio LE, Metropolitan Gordian Knot, Ripples. Omas Paragon Royale Blue HT, Extra Lucens Black LE. Pilot Silvern. Pelikan 620 Shanghai, 800 Blue o Blue.

139 made from jade green Celluloid, looks good, but unusual.

kind regards

Max

HANDMADE PENS : www.astoriapen.hamburg ; REPAIRSERVICE : www.maxpens.de ; by MONTBLANC recommended repair service for antique pens

Nope. Just not for me. Far too sombre looking and at the price hinted other stuff available that I would go for.

A wise man once said    " the best revenge is wealth "   but a wiser man answered back    " the best revenge is happiness "

The true definition of madness - Doing the same thing everyday and expecting different results......