The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Registration on the Fountain Pen Network

Dearest Visitor of the little Fountain Pen Nut house on the digital prairie,

Due to the enormous influx of spammers, it is no longer possible to handle valditions in the traditional way. For registrations we therefore kindly and respectfully request you to send an email with your request to our especially created email address. This email address is register at fountainpennetwork dot com. Please include your desired user name, and after validation we will send you a return email containing the validation key, normally wiithin a week.

Thank you very much in advance!
The FPN Admin Team

Photo

Leader Pen

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 hari317

hari317

Classic

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,136 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 24 July 2008 - 08:34

I wanted to share some photos of the latest addition to my flock; a Leader Celluloid pen. Leader is one of the brands of Brahmam, Made in India in a small town called Vijayawada.

I was quite lucky IMHO to get this pen, since most of the times the celluloid material is reserved for costlier gold nibbbed pens and very few celluloid pens are fitted with steel nibs here.

The pen smells faintly of camphor. The photos are unable to convey the depth of the marbling in the celluloid. This is a petite and slender pen. 5 inches capped and 5 3/4 inches posted. The nib is a rigid steel unit; very smooth feeling though I have not dipped the pen in ink yet (didn't want to risk staining). The filling system as usual is Eyedropper. I have been told that the clip and cap bands are gold filled.

Hope you liked my new pen. Comments are welcome.

Regards,
Hari

In case you wish to write to me, pls use ONLY email by clicking here. I do not check PMs. Thank you.

Sponsored Content

#2 dare_nova

dare_nova

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 380 posts

Posted 24 July 2008 - 08:51

Congrats Hari on your new addition! Beautiful color!

#3 fatehbajwa

fatehbajwa

Antique

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,972 posts

Posted 24 July 2008 - 09:02

Hari.............once again you show your skills at magic in digging up these beauties.

clap1.gif
Success is how high you bounce when you hit bottom - George S Patton
Follow me on Twitter

#4 shrujaya

shrujaya

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 352 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 25 July 2008 - 03:48

Hari...Hi...that is a beautiful pen...I think you should do a separate post on Brahmam Pens...though very little of history is available...photographs of pens may be available, the pens themselves may not be affordable...ha ha ha...

Regards,

Jai
Writing and posting about fountain pens exclusively on www.jaisiri.blogspot.in ... recent posts on Hema Pens (Hyderabad), Haul at Majestic (Bangalore), and Asoka Pens (Tenali)...

#5 philm

philm

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,060 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 25 July 2008 - 04:13

hari,

Thank you very much for sharing this. Do you have any idea as to when this was manufactured?

Phil

#6 rroossinck

rroossinck

Donor Pen

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,683 posts

Posted 25 July 2008 - 10:46

My goodness, it looks like they re-incarnated a Parker True Blue and re-colored it green!

Nice work, Hari. Love these Indian pieces!

Brassing Adds Character: Available by clicking on my signature.

#7 hari317

hari317

Classic

• Member - Gold

• 15,136 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 25 July 2008 - 16:52

QUOTE (philm @ Jul 25 2008, 09:43 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Do you have any idea as to when this was manufactured?

Sometime in the last 5 years...

QUOTE (rroossinck @ Jul 25 2008, 04:16 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
My goodness, it looks like they re-incarnated a Parker True Blue and re-colored it green!

and made it slimmer and shorter and ED filled!

Thanks for the interest shown by all of you in pens from this part of the world.

Regards,
Hari

In case you wish to write to me, pls use ONLY email by clicking here. I do not check PMs. Thank you.

#8 Abhik

Abhik

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 504 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 25 July 2008 - 21:14

Bravo Hari, bravo! Your perseverance is unparalleled! May I break the cardinal un-spoken rule and ask what was the cost?
Very good photographs!!
Thanks for sharing!
Abhik.

#9 hari317

hari317

Classic

• Member - Gold

• 15,136 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 16 August 2008 - 10:19

Hi everyone, I was lucky enough to find more of these Leader celluloids hidden away in a shop. cloud9.gif The branding I found are Leader, Brahmam and Solar.

Now that I have backups, I can ink up some of them and use them without any worries.

Cheers,
Hari

#10 hari317

hari317

Classic

• Member - Gold

• 15,136 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 17 January 2009 - 08:30

Added two more Brahmam/Leader celluloid pens to my collection:

The Red Dome is inked up right now fitted with an aftermarket F-EF duopoint nib cloud9.gif

Cheers,
Hari

#11 HDoug

HDoug

First Class Forever

• FPN Super Moderators

• 3,826 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 17 January 2009 - 10:00

Wow, gorgeous pens and great pics! I'm always happy to see the photos of Indian pens because I have never seen one in the celluloid. Thanks.

Doug

#12 hari317

hari317

Classic

• Member - Gold

• 15,136 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 17 January 2009 - 10:09

QUOTE (HDoug @ Jan 17 2009, 03:30 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Wow, gorgeous pens and great pics! I'm always happy to see the photos of Indian pens because I have never seen one in the celluloid. Thanks.

Thanks Doug! These celluloids are extremely difficult to come across here now. All these pens were made years back and are old stock. To the best of my knowledge only Guider still has solid yellow celluloid material left and is making pens. I find that nowadays I buy each and every Indian swirled celluloid that I happen to chance upon.

Best,
Hari

#13 hari317

hari317

Classic

• Member - Gold

• 15,136 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 21 March 2009 - 14:30

Acquired these celluloid pens last week from Hyderabad. The first one is a beautiful orange celluloid ED pen.

The next one is similar to my ball clip Leader celluloid, however this one features a Squeeze filler fashioned using the sac guard from a Hero pen. The clip is also different, I liked this clip better than the ball clip version.

Comments welcome!

Cheers!
Hari

#14 susegad

susegad

Near Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 24 March 2009 - 18:08

I will be visiting Mumbai in a months time are there places that sell these pens? I do have your tour of Mumbai Pen stores that I am sure I will be visiting.

Thanks,
Carlos

#15 hari317

hari317

Classic

• Member - Gold

• 15,136 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 25 March 2009 - 08:42

QUOTE (susegad @ Mar 24 2009, 11:38 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I will be visiting Mumbai in a months time are there places that sell these pens?

I bought these from Hyderabad and Bangalore, very tough to find, all are old stocks. You will find a lot of modern pens in Mumbai. Look me up when you are here.

Best,
Hari

#16 hari317

hari317

Classic

• Member - Gold

• 15,136 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 13 March 2010 - 13:58

Added two more elusive celluloid Brahmam's to the flock. This time with 14Ct handmade gold nibs.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Cheers,
Hari

#17 HDoug

HDoug

First Class Forever

• FPN Super Moderators

• 3,826 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 13 March 2010 - 18:35

Gorgeous!

Doug

#18 Taurean

Taurean

vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 269 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 13 March 2010 - 18:36

Wow cool stuff Hari. Love the pelikan replica. Does it have a piston fill mechanism?

Parker VS (rust)
Parker "51" aerometric (navy grey)
Sheaffer Snorkel Saratoga (burgundy)
Sheaffer Imperial IV Touchdown (green)

#19 hari317

hari317

Classic

• Member - Gold

• 15,136 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 13 March 2010 - 18:54

Gorgeous!

Thank you Doug!

Love the pelikan replica. Does it have a piston fill mechanism?

That is a Pelikan M450, not a replica, just put it in the photo to give an idea of the size of the Brahmam.

Regards,
Hari

#20 markiv

markiv

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 983 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 14 March 2010 - 00:03

Wow Hari, these are simply gorgeous. So do you specifically make these trips to Hy'Bad or travel is part of your occupation?
Posted Image

Sponsored Content

|