Chicago Pen Stores

Philip1209

I just returned from a trip that ended in Chicago. In a previous form I asked for advice on which chicago pen stores I should visit. Here's that earlier thread:

https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/in...mp;#entry638699

I left with two goals: 1. Find and buy a Pelikan m200 2. Buy a green ink

Well, I stopped at two pen stores in Chicago, and here are my thoughts:

Gilbertson Clyborn, inc.: This was the first pen store I visited in Chicago. It is very close to Michigan Avenue. The shop is kind of small and undecorated, and just didn't seem to have the right atmosphere. It seemed almost isolated, even though it was a block from the magnificent mile. The shop manager, Daniel P. Collins, was kind. He carried a reasonable variety of pens, including Mont Blanc pens. Unfortunately, he did not have the model of Pelikan pen that I wanted. He did, however, stock Private Reserve inks, so I purchased a bottle of PR Avocado ink. Overall, the store had pens, but it didn't have the character I would hope for from a pen store. If you have limited time in Chicago and will be by the Magnificent Mile, it may be worth stopping by.

Century Pens: This store is located in the center of the Bank of America Center by the Sears Tower. Three of the walls of the shop are glass, making for an open atmosphere. Upon walking in, you are greeted by a compassionate owner, Ed Hamilton. He carries a wide variety of pens, ". . . from $3 to $8000." Of note, he does not carry Mont Blanc pens, even though he says that the official salesman has tried to get him to stock the pens many times. He and I exchanged jokes about "precious resin." The store had a great atmosphere- it did have pens, but it also had collectibles and items that the shopkeeper obviously prided himself on that made a home-like atmosphere. He carried only basic inks- specifically Waterman inks- because he said he couldn't handle the breadth of inks provided by a brand like Noodler's. The shop seemed to do business with a wide variety of people, including lawyers and doctors. I was very surprised when the owner handed me a custom-printed advertising blotter with his store's info printed on one side. He said that he is trying to revive the tradition of handing out advertising blotters.

In terms of my goals, number two had been accomplished at Gilbertson Clyborn. Century Pens also carried Pelikans, but was sold out of the m200. I must have seemed a little disappointed that he didn't have the pen I yearned, for the owner brought me over to a different display and showed me the Pilot Vanishing-Point pens. I had read about these pens and their cult-like following, but had never touched one before. In short, I was enamored with the pen and, even though it was twice what I had intended to spend, I bought one with a big smile on my face.

Overall, I left Chicago satisfied with my new pen and ink. In fact, I could not even wait to get back to the hotel to ink the pen. I filled it with the green ink at my favorite pizza place, Gino's, while waiting for my deep-dish pizza to bake, and started writing in my Moleskine reporter notebook that I keep in my pocket. On future trips to Chicago, I plan on returning to Century Pens. Thanks Ed for your altruism and great advice!

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Kit4pens

• Philip1209

• Tweel

• MaxP

my favorite pizza place, Gino's, while waiting for my deep-dish pizza to bake,

Gosh, I hope your Gino's pizza was better than what I experienced last summer when I went there with my son. It was the WORST ever! They ended up not charging us for it. Very noisy. Bad service. Horrid pizza. I'll never go back

But thanks for the shop reviews. After all, that's what's really important!

Max

Regards,

MaxP

"Things may come to those who wait, but only the things left by those who hustle." - Abraham Lincoln

I love Chicago - one of my favourite non-Australian cities.

Have been to Gilbertson Clyborn - nice store but I agree - lacked that pen shop cosiness. There was also a pen shop in the foyer of one of the main hotels, but can't remember which one. That was a lot better. The thing that surprised me was the number of luggage shops in the US with good ranges of pens. Those two markets don't meet here at all.

http://img356.imageshack.us/img356/7260/postminipo0.png

Gosh, I hope your Gino's pizza was better than what I experienced last summer when I went there with my son. It was the WORST ever! They ended up not charging us for it. Very noisy. Bad service. Horrid pizza. I'll never go back

Max

Gino's is my favorite! I'm sorry for your bad experience. My second-favorite pizza shop is Giordannos [sic] in Chicago. They still make a mean deep dish, so you should try them out next time you go.

Max

Gino's is my favorite! I'm sorry for your bad experience. My second-favorite pizza shop is Giordannos [sic] in Chicago. They still make a mean deep dish, so you should try them out next time you go.

Sorry to get off thread. I've done Giordano's. It WAS good. Next trip in, I want to try Lou Manalti's.

Regards,

MaxP

"Things may come to those who wait, but only the things left by those who hustle." - Abraham Lincoln

I don't remember the name of it (might have been the first one mentioned in the OP), but when I lived there I found a small pen shop a block or so from the MCA and went back a number of times, eventually buying the Waterman Expert that I have come to love so much. Not a fancy store, but the service was excellent and the owner as pleasant as one could ask for.

• 11 months later...

I liked Gilbertson Clybourn more actually. Friendly owner, cosy store. Century Pens was too flashy and overpriced for me.

Singapore Fountain Pen Lovers on Facebook

Ed Hamilton at Century Pens is a great guy. I bought my first FP there (Lamy Safari). I went in twice and was unbelievably indecisive both times, yet he was very patient and helped me a great deal. I would highly recommend his store when you're in Chicago. One thing I like about Ed is that he only stocks pens that he feels comfortable selling to customers; he doesn't stock 'the usual crowd' just because that's what people are looking for. Because of this, you know that every pen he sells is a great pen. If you're ever in Chicago, hit up Century Pens.

As far as pizza goes (I was in college in Chicago, I have had a wealth of experience with chicago pizza), I would recommend Uno's, Giordano's, and Lou Malnati's (in that order). Gino's has great pizza, but it is a bit overpriced in my opinion. Uno's has the best pizza in town IMHO.

Currently Inked:

Lamy Safari - Noodlers Zhivago

• 4 weeks later...

Greetings from Chicago!

After reading the "Philip1209" review of fountain pen shops in Chicago, I intended to head to Century Pens first; but, I couldn’t get there within their shortened summer hours. So, I went to Gilbertson Clybourn on E. Chicago Ave instead; and I’m lucky I did because it was a nice experience. The manager, Daniel Collins was of course knowledgeable; but, importantly, he was also more concerned with making sure I was informed and happy with my fountain pen investment than he was in making a sale.

I went in intending to purchase a pilot vanishing point fountain pen; but walked out with a considerably less expensive fountain pen that’s actually better suited for me. Mr. Collins inked the vanishing point so I could try it. The sale could have (and normally would have) ended right there. Instead, Mr. Collins took time to politely ask (and listen to the answers) about why I wanted a fountain pen, how I intended to use it, etc. As I scribbled to my heart’s content on the pads of paper he set out for me, he noted factors like my writing style, how I held the pen, etc. Based on those observations, he pulled out several other pens for me to try. I ended up choosing an entirely different pen than I thought I wanted to buy because one of those other pens felt better in my hand, and was better suited to my needs and writing style. The end result, not unimportantly, is that I walked out with a significantly less expensive pen then I intended to purchase walking in.

So, your preference for ambiance is valid because it’s important to you and others as well. But respectfully, and what some readers may find alternately important, is finding a retailer that provides this kind of informed, interested service. Turns out, I didn’t need soft lighting and ambience. I was after all buying a pen, not dating one. To that end, I got everything I needed and more respecting fountain pens at Gilbertson Clybourn.

All the best,

L.Wiemken

Hiya, I haven't been to Gilberston, but I have been to Century Pens. I had the same marvelous experience with Ed; same conversation about why he doesn't sell Mont Blanc, and the same incredible attention to my desires. In fact, I went back two days later and bought two pens - a THINK rollerball for myself and a local penmaker's piece to be shipped to a friend. Mind you, I needed another rollerball like a hole in my head.

Anyway, don't be turned off by the shiny look of the shop; if you want a pen and good service, check them out. I will agree, though, you might be disappointed if you are looking for a large ink selection - he doesn't have one.

Sharon in Indiana

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self." Earnest Hemingway

Thanks to a very patient wife I was able to spend some time in Century Pens this week. Despite my self-imposed pen-purchase embargo, Ed Hamilton was a very gracious host. The store itself is most attractive, as befits its location in the financial area, across the street from the Chicago Board of Trade. Ed is willing to show you everything in the cases, and there are many beautiful pens there. He also is full of stories, including those of selling many pens to the Obama transition team which for a time was in offices near by. I ended up buying only a bottle of ink, but left appreciating the experience of customer service done right.

gary

• 2 years later...

I have also been to both of these shops in Chicago and they are both great shops that will let u test their pens if you want to and theyknow what they talk about, but they are completely different. If you want variety of pen such as ones from china to German. Century is the place to go, the owner is nice and respectful and eager to tell you about what pens he thinks you should use. Century Pen to me looks like a watch store. Gilbertson Clybourn is a little different for one things its like a high class jewelry shop(you even have to ring a doorbell), but don't let this dissuade u that the owner is not a nice man. His pens are in my opinion are mostly German and French pens but they are not limited in models, but be warned he only has the higher price models. He inks them up for u if he see u are interested plus he has sales every so often that i have never seen in century(high end pens even after a sale is still expensive). The price after a sale in Gilbertson Clybourn is almost the same as internet so dont go and tale bets when it is almost he same price ans support their long history in Chicago.

So if u want high end greman or fench pens on sale go to Gilbertson Clybourn, but if ur into asian pens(finer lined pens) as well go to century. they are both great dealers and i especially want to get a more pens from them in the future.

Been to both of those pen shops and your observations are correct. I make a point to go tho Century pens every time.

As for the more important matter to those of us from Chicago: Pizzeria Uno and Giordano's offer the best deep dish pizza. Matter settled.

Pedro

Looking for interesting Sheaffer OS Balance pens

Yes, Ed Hamilton/Century Pens is THE pen store in Chicago. He does have an annual sale, and he knows my budget so he didn't try to tempt me with something I couldn't afford. I'm always happy there, except for the limited inks; but he has my go-tos: Aurora Blue and Black. For the rest...well, that's what the Ink Drop is for, right?

A more important issue: Chicago Pizza. Which Gino's East (that's the correct name--if it's just "Gino's" you were in the wrong place) you go to makes a huge difference because of the seasoning of the pans. Ya gotta go to the one on Wells St., which still has the original pans from the old Superior St. location (not to be confused with the new Superior St. location). And get the "patty style" sausage. As Duff Goldman descriged it "sausage as big as your face". And that corn meal crust....I'm getting hungry just thinking about it. :puddle:

We Chicago folks take our local food seriously; have you ever seen our reaction when someone asks for ketchup on their hot dog??!?!? :yikes:

And then there's Chicken Vesuvio........

Pam

A more important issue: Chicago Pizza. Which Gino's East (that's the correct name--if it's just "Gino's" you were in the wrong place) you go to makes a huge difference because of the seasoning of the pans. Ya gotta go to the one on Wells St., which still has the original pans from the old Superior St. location (not to be confused with the new Superior St. location). And get the "patty style"

Last time I was at Gino's East on Wells, I called the heath department. Filthy beyond belief, poor service, and the waiter had absolutely no personal hygiene skills. I wouldn't eat there unless you wanted to visit an ER on your trip.

Andy

http://img525.imageshack.us/img525/606/letterji9.pnghttp://img244.imageshack.us/img244/5642/postcardde9.png

Gino's East on Wells is a bit of a dump. I have a nostalgic love for Uno's--I spent a bunch of time there in high school. Giordano's deep dish spinach has got to be my fav'. Add some crushed red peppe, an ice cold Bass aler and I'm a happy man.

Oh. And I like both the pen shops. I used to live about five blocks from Gilbertson's. Really convenient since I love Private Reserve inks and they stock them.

Edit: that would be pepper.

Edited by krbmsw

"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind."

— Dr. Seuss

• 6 months later...

I just returned from a trip that ended in Chicago. In a previous form I asked for advice on which chicago pen stores I should visit. Here's that earlier thread:

<a href="https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=66062&pid=638699&st=0entry638699" target="_blank">https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/in...mp;#entry638699</a>

I left with two goals: 1. Find and buy a Pelikan m200 2. Buy a green ink

Well, I stopped at two pen stores in Chicago, and here are my thoughts:

<b>Gilbertson Clyborn, inc.: </b> This was the first pen store I visited in Chicago. It is very close to Michigan Avenue. The shop is kind of small and undecorated, and just didn't seem to have the right atmosphere. It seemed almost isolated, even though it was a block from the magnificent mile. The shop manager, Daniel P. Collins, was kind. He carried a reasonable variety of pens, including Mont Blanc pens. Unfortunately, he did not have the model of Pelikan pen that I wanted. He did, however, stock Private Reserve inks, so I purchased a bottle of PR Avocado ink. Overall, the store had pens, but it didn't have the character I would hope for from a pen store. If you have limited time in Chicago and will be by the Magnificent Mile, it may be worth stopping by.

<b>Century Pens: </b> This store is located in the center of the Bank of America Center by the Sears Tower. Three of the walls of the shop are glass, making for an open atmosphere. Upon walking in, you are greeted by a compassionate owner, Ed Hamilton. He carries a wide variety of pens, ". . . from $3 to $8000." Of note, he does not carry Mont Blanc pens, even though he says that the official salesman has tried to get him to stock the pens many times. He and I exchanged jokes about "precious resin." The store had a great atmosphere- it did have pens, but it also had collectibles and items that the shopkeeper obviously prided himself on that made a home-like atmosphere. He carried only basic inks- specifically Waterman inks- because he said he couldn't handle the breadth of inks provided by a brand like Noodler's. The shop seemed to do business with a wide variety of people, including lawyers and doctors. I was very surprised when the owner handed me a custom-printed advertising blotter with his store's info printed on one side. He said that he is trying to revive the tradition of handing out advertising blotters.

In terms of my goals, number two had been accomplished at Gilbertson Clyborn. Century Pens also carried Pelikans, but was sold out of the m200. I must have seemed a little disappointed that he didn't have the pen I yearned, for the owner brought me over to a different display and showed me the Pilot Vanishing-Point pens. I had read about these pens and their cult-like following, but had never touched one before. In short, I was enamored with the pen and, even though it was twice what I had intended to spend, I bought one with a big smile on my face.

Overall, I left Chicago satisfied with my new pen and ink. In fact, I could not even wait to get back to the hotel to ink the pen. I filled it with the green ink at my favorite pizza place, Gino's, while waiting for my deep-dish pizza to bake, and started writing in my Moleskine reporter notebook that I keep in my pocket. On future trips to Chicago, I plan on returning to Century Pens. Thanks Ed for your altruism and great advice!

I first visited Century Pens, downtown Chicago, over one year ago. The shop is beautiful indeed, with marble floors and glass all around, together with a wide choice of beautiful pens and (toy robots) in glass cases,the owners collection. Owner Ed Hamilton, in my humble opinion, is the friendliest and most knowlegable person I've ever had pleasure of conversing with when purchasing a pen/s. Your choice of the Pilot Vanishing point FP was a good one, indeed. I love Pilot Pens. As for pizza, I prefer thin crust, although Gino's makes great deep-dish.

Its not the same as the 2 shops mentioned, but Levenger has a store inside the Macy's on State Street. As long as you are in the city.....

If you are in the north suburbs and have transportation, there is a nice shop in Milwaukee. Daly's pens has been around since the early 20th century. They also have a presence on the web. Usually, they will honor the web prices in their shop, if you ask.

Finally, the first weekend in May is the Chicago Pen show. It is held in Rosemount and you can find just about anything you want. It focusses on vintage, but there are lots of people with new pens, nib meisters to fix and/or grind your nib to the perfect point etc.

Dave

Ed's a good guy, in the old Continental Bank Building across from the Fed, now BofA I think. Anyway, he's a top notch dude. Dan is a nice guy too off of Michigan. Levenger is in a beautiful store, but it's not really a pen store. Ed has a great selection of pens and a lot of Krone's and exquisite Krone Le's. The last time I was in he had a GW hand painted that was just incredible. He bought a huge collection of pens and I think I bought 3 star walkers, a delta AR, a 149 and 146, at prices that are beyond belief. I like Ed and a buddy of mine stop in whenever we're in town to see him.

But Chicago, for being a world class City is surprisingly not well represented in pens and watches.

Oh and there is a pretty nice MB boutique just north across from Water Tower. They are pretty friendly and over the years it's expanded.