The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Registration on the Fountain Pen Network

Dearest Visitor of the little Fountain Pen Nut house on the digital prairie,

Due to the enormous influx of spammers, it is no longer possible to handle valditions in the traditional way. For registrations we therefore kindly and respectfully request you to send an email with your request to our especially created email address. This email address is register at fountainpennetwork dot com. Please include your desired user name, and after validation we will send you a return email containing the validation key, normally wiithin a week.

Thank you very much in advance!
The FPN Admin Team

Photo

"SWAN" WARWICK ED pen

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 hari317

hari317

Classic

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,134 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 02 July 2008 - 09:53

Here are some pictures of my recently acquired Swan Warwick. These pens were Made In India sometime in the mid 60s-70s and use the ED filling system.

The pens in Red, Green and Beige:

Cap detail; the cap's plastic top with the Swan emblem looks really nice IMHO.

Swan logo closeup, and clip marking:

The cap imprint:

The Barrel imprint: "SWAN" WARWICK, MADE IN INDIA

The Nib and the section threads:

Nib Closeup, showing the Swan logo, the "D" shaped breather hole, What does the K after 3 mean?

Nib underside:

The section has a nipple, so the pen could be made a squeeze type filler also?

Hope you liked the pens. More information on the Warwick and other Indian SWAN models is welcome.

Cheers,
Hari

In case you wish to write to me, pls use ONLY email by clicking here. I do not check PMs. Thank you.

Sponsored Content

#2 fatehbajwa

fatehbajwa

Antique

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,972 posts

Posted 02 July 2008 - 10:23

Wow Hari, where do you come up with these beautiful ED's ?
Success is how high you bounce when you hit bottom - George S Patton
Follow me on Twitter

#3 Abhik

Abhik

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 504 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 02 July 2008 - 10:39

Hari, nice find and nice photos too!

Abhik.

#4 Zed

Zed

User with collecting tendencies...

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 396 posts

Posted 03 July 2008 - 08:57

Hello,

It is interesting that Swan survided this long in India and that they kept the very meticulous stamping of all parts on the pen with the name Swan.

I wonder what the nibs are like. I somehow fancy that if there is a country where there still is potential for making as wonderful flexible nibs that would be as good as those from the first third of the 20th century were than the country is India. I know Japanese are still producing flexible nibs but they feel different to the vintage ones...

Anyway, thanks for sharing, Zed

#5 hari317

hari317

Classic

• Member - Gold

• 15,134 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 04 July 2008 - 11:31

QUOTE(Zed @ Jul 3 2008, 02:27 PM) View Post
I wonder what the nibs are like.

I have inked up the red one in the picture, the nib is a bit soft, smooth and is a wet writer. No flex at all.

I somehow fancy that if there is a country where there still is potential for making as wonderful flexible nibs that would be as good as those from the first third of the 20th century were than the country is India.

The people here prefer strong nibs, hence many a times to my utter surprise I have found the flex nibs removed from the vintage pen and replaced with very firm nibs. It will be very nice if the handmade nib makers here start offering some real flex nibs like that of vintage swan...

Any idea what the K on the Swan nib represents?

Regards,
Hari

In case you wish to write to me, pls use ONLY email by clicking here. I do not check PMs. Thank you.

#6 Zed

Zed

User with collecting tendencies...

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 396 posts

Posted 04 July 2008 - 23:58

Hari,

that is an interesting piece of info about Indians liking firm nibs, but shattering to my fancies...

I might be wrong on this point but K on nibs normally stands for "Kugel" - the German world for "ball" - that is a tipping that is intended to appeal to lefties or those who liked their pens to produce the same line in any direction and angle so that they do not have to worry about finding sweet spots. You can often find vintage Pelikans, Osmias or Mountblanks with K nibs; perhaps Swan decided to adopt this description of this particular type on tipping too - B being already taken...

I hope this helps.
Enjoy the pens! Zed

#7 Inky Tom

Inky Tom

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 65 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 30 June 2014 - 07:26

Hari, do you know of any place who might have swan nibs still available? I have an old swan "safety pen"  with an ordinary nib installed which is my everyday pen. I thought it would be better complete with the nib swapped to an original Swan one.

#8 hari317

hari317

Classic

• Member - Gold

• 15,134 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 30 June 2014 - 16:46

Hari, do you know of any place who might have swan nibs still available? I have an old swan "safety pen"  with an ordinary nib installed which is my everyday pen. I thought it would be better complete with the nib swapped to an original Swan one.

Check with Pratap of Gem and Co. in Madras.

Sponsored Content

|